Need new Video Editing computer.

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
I was editing some video I shot yesterday in 3D spatial video with the iphone and I kept getting weird errors in adobe Premiere Pro, Missing or corrupt image data. Never had this problem before so I tested several files located on different drives and continued to get same errors. I then tried to edit in a different app (Edius) and it wouldn't even load. All indicated rendering errors although playback of the timeline was perfect. I decided to power down and reboot. Now it won't reboot. Opened up the cabinet and the LED diagnostics says code for CPU RAM failure. I believe it is time for new desktop for video editing. No rush as I no longer need one for my business. Today it's just a hobby.

I'll start with the class system called a "gaming computer" It should be capable of 4K video, VR rendering, and minimum 32GB ram and drive 3 monitors.

I selected this one but open to suggestions and advice:

• Wow
Reactions: ZetaMale
DisplayPort? To hitch your wagon to? Are those HDMI ports next to it?

I have been suspicious of Dell since the days where they had power supplies that were plug compatible with standard power supplies. But some of the pins had different functions. So you HAD to buy a Dell brand PS. Plugging in a regular PS led to an unfortunate experience.

I hope they don’t do that anymore.

I selected this one but open to suggestions and advice:
Make sure you can suffer Windows 11 with all of your important applications.

I'd suggest that you scale way back on the SSD since time is no longer critical and rendering is "the most miserable and time consuming job of all".

I like the idea of the older processor as you don't risk getting hamstrung by efficiency cores.

I'd review what the nVidia fanboys have to say about the 4000 series display adapters versus the 3000 series in terms of video editing performance. The 4000 series cards usually lack RAM but they may be faster. The 4000 series supports the AV1 CODEC in hardware if you engage in transcoding.

As a stopgap measure, I'd re-seat all of your RAM modules, run a MEMTEST and run a SMART test on your virtual memory drive.

Reactions: Foxbat
Make sure you can suffer Windows 11 with all of your important applications.

I'd suggest that you scale way back on the SSD since time is no longer critical and rendering is "the most miserable and time consuming job of all".

I like the idea of the older processor as you don't risk getting hamstrung by efficiency cores.

I'd review what the nVidia fanboys have to say about the 4000 series display adapters versus the 3000 series in terms of video editing performance. The 4000 series cards usually lack RAM but they may be faster. The 4000 series supports the AV1 CODEC in hardware if you engage in transcoding.

As a stopgap measure, I'd re-seat all of your RAM modules, run a MEMTEST and run a SMART test on your virtual memory drive.
All good suggestions.

I did re-seat the DRAM. Unfortunately it fails on POST and never gets to where the monitor comes on.

The error codes on the led displays on the MB indicate a CPU memory failure. This kind of matches the error messages I got in Premiere Pro when I tried to render a 3 minute edited video rendering indicating it was replacing each frame with black due to lost image data. I tried both hardware and software rendering and both failed.

Meanwhile I was able to pull the NVME stick with my project files and stick it in a USB adapter load the latest Adobe Premiere Pro in this computer I bought last summer and finish the project. It has 16gb of ram and rendered the short project pretty fast. However this computer can't do 4K with onboard graphics nor VR video files. So I just converted the clips from 4K to 1K and finished it up. It was just yesterday's granddaughter's B'day party at the beach so good enough for Facebook. :)

I was thinking of upgrading the graphics card in this one if I don't buy a new gaming computer but this box doesn't have the power supply for it and the space is too tight and only has one slot.

So if I want to continue experimenting with VR, 360 video and UHD, I will probably buy a new computer. Have to sell some Tesla stock I guess.

I reviewed the older win 10 capable software and see I probably can do without those. Adobe Premiere Pro is not cheap over the long haul but ids really is quite capable to do everything I need in video editing. I know we had this discussion before. But this failure now has be rethinking the importance of those app.

Another thing regarding performance of a new system. In video editing I originally designed this old computer to handle multiple clips including image modifications and transition effects in timeline playback real time. This is really important to avoid time wasted in editing, more so that rendering a final product. If having to wait 30 seconds every time I make an adjustment on an effect it can add up huge increases in work timing. I still use library files on old hard drives but transfer those files to a faster NVMA SSD for a working project.

I don’t edit to the degree that I’ve read you do, but I just built a new one back in April for light editing, gaming and overkill for my daily work of spreadsheets, documents and database work.
Spent $1900. Ordered it all from Amazon except the win 11 license.

Montech King 95 Pro Dual chamber case.
Asus TUF Z790 motherboard.
Asus TUF 1000w gold power supply
Asus Dual GeForce 4060Ti video card
Intel 14th gen i7-14700K processor
32GB DDR 5 Corsair vengeance ram
2TB M2 NVME SSD
2 fans and radiator to cool cpu
Win 11 license.

I am with OSU, I am a AMD fan boy and a Nvidia graphics person, but I just built a 13th gen Intel I9 13900K, radeon 7900 XTS with two 1 TB NVME gen 4 drives and 64 gigs of ddr5. I must say inpressive. I imagine the 14 series would be even better. Build your own, buy windows, no extra bloatware installed and have fun!

Reactions: navychop
Don't mean to wonder off topic, but also just bought a beelink SER6 to see what the hype was about, Ryzen9 6700 32 gigs 1 TB Nvme $427 bucks, not what Don needs, but quite the little beast. I runs everything I throw at it. Fired it up, made sure it was activated, then used media creation tool to put real win11 on it and it is a keeper.

Still shopping. I will probably go with something a little more robust and now pricing the Intel I9 CPU and the RTX 4070. I might buy it with just 16GB RAM but upgrade that here, depending on what is in stock.

The one issue I an having is my data files management. None of these new desktops have space for additional hard drives. So I suppose I'll; need a second drive tower for my library and archives.

The main C drive I have never needed anything bigger than a half TB as I believe in storage on a different drive and use a fast NVME stick for video work drive. So I won't want to pay for a 4TB NVME.

Comments on this one:

or this:

I was thinking of upgrading the graphics card in this one if I don't buy a new gaming computer but this box doesn't have the power supply for it and the space is too tight and only has one slot.
This is going to be a recurring nightmare with off-the-shelf computers. Weak power supplies and limited slots is how they get so cheap.

I suggest looking at what you can get from Lenovo or maybe even HP in a modest workstation.

I suggest looking at what you can get from Lenovo or maybe even HP in a modest workstation.
I think I have a work around to the space issue and as long as I have one open slot for the Video work drive I can put my stack of hard drives into a plug in USB C dock. I have several of these.

Hadn't looked at Lenovo. I will.

I've had excellent luck with Dell long lasting, HP not so much but should be OK for this purpose.

Went to Best Buy to do a look and feel but they really didn't have anything I liked. Cyber Power and some other no name builds that were more about colored lights than good design. Had the lower end Dell and HPs, nothing great. I don't know of any other stores in the area for gaming computers. So it looks like Amazon is it.

I've had excellent luck with Dell long lasting, HP not so much but should be OK for this purpose.
I've had very good luck with both HP and Lenovo. Dell always seems to have had some serious "gotchas" when it comes to upgrade time.

That said, I'm not all that keen on computers that don't feature enough bays and slots for expansion (especially the drive bays). Having to go external with storage seems like a waste of time and energy.

Having to go external with storage seems like a waste of time and energy.
So far the Dell I bought last summer is working well. I am leaning toward the Dell system above. Then we'll see how it goes but may need to upgrade the DRAM. My computer had 64GB

Question- Can I use DDR4 RAM? I think it comes with DDR5. No big deal if I can't just need to order 2 x 32GB to replace the 16GB one.

After going through the reviews this one seems right.

Has two bays for additional hard drives and on MB slot for NVME Video work drive. (2 slots total.) I'll see how it goes with 32GB RAM and if needed I'll replace them with 2 x 32 for 64 GB. Based on specs it should be plenty to be even faster than my old machine. I bought this one in 2017, so it is about 7 years old.

Ordered.

Reviews indicate owner attempting to do a bios update and bricked the system. I've been warned. Not to mess with the bios if the computer is running just fine. What do you all think? On my existing Dell I have AVG Driver updater and it has worked well and even warned me on one intel driver that was flagged as not recommended so I blocked that one.

Last edited:
I realize you bought one already, but why not just do a CTO of a Dell Precision, HP Z or Lenovo Thinkstation workstation? Why would you even entertain the idea of going to Best Buy any other physical store? They sell cheap junk for the average consumer.

With a business grade workstation, you'll have the option of whatever i9 or Xeon you want, plenty of slots for additional SSDs, the ability to go up to at least 512 GB of ECC RAM, and the latest professional graphics cards from NVidia and AMD. Plus a typically a larger chassis, better air flow, better support, longevity for critical BIOS updates. Other than my very first computer from 1995, I have never bought an off the self system all have been CTO/BTO directly though the manufacture. That is the only way to buy a computing device.

Next year when Windows 10 goes EOL, I'm planning on replacing my current desktop with a CTO HP Z8 with a lower tier Xeon Gold, 64 GB ECC RAM, some mid level NVidia Quadro-esq card and as usual I'll throw out the included drive and put in my own WD SSDs. 10, 15 or even 20% discount codes can be found for all three manufactures. When I ordered my HP mobile workstation at the end of 2019, best I could find was a 10% discount code, but it was still over a $400 savings.

And always do BIOS updates, they patch critical CVEs. I patch all of my devices at home as soon as a BIOS update is made available. At work I have literally installed hundreds of BIOS updates on HP and Dell desktops and laptops and never once had an issue. I work in IT for the federal government, machines are required to have the latest BIOS version as soon as internal field testing is complete, which is typically 30 days from release. Once a particular model has reached EOL and is no longer receiving BIOS updates we must remove all of them from the network. I have approx 150 HP EliteBook 630 G9s to upgrade to 01.11.04 Rev A by the middle of July. Updating the BIOS is no big deal and takes less than 10 minutes.

I have no idea what AVG Driver Updater is. Sounds like some hand holding software from bloatware masters AVG

Enter in the device serial number and you'll have the latest drivers for all components for your device. Download the latest ones, if there are adverse affects, download the previous version.

Question- Can I use DDR4 RAM?
The pinout of DDR4 is different from that of DDR5. The modules aren't interchangeable.

I've used the Dell Command Update for quite a while to update the BIOS. I've never bricked a machine. That said, I haven't had to deal with a Dell computer built after 2017 (cheesy "workstations" purchased directly from Dell). Tower CAD workstations shouldn't come with notebook video adapters (Quadro GPU)!

Reactions: TheForce

Best Freeware to Check Internet?

Camera: dji Osmo Action 5 Pro