Need recommendations for ku dish motor

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AJV

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
Cadillac, Michigan
I have got a Geosatpro 1.2m dish coming and would like some good advice on which motor I should dirve this dish. I live in northern part of lower Michigan, so I am concerned about the cold temps and the winds effect on the motor with a 4' dish. Any good advice will be well appreciated. Thanx in advance.

I have got a Geosatpro 1.2m dish coming and would like some good advice on which motor I should dirve this dish. I live in northern part of lower Michigan, so I am concerned about the cold temps and the winds effect on the motor with a 4' dish. Any good advice will be well appreciated. Thanx in advance.

I've got the Sadoun DG-380 on my 90 cm dish, and it has been totally trouble free for a year now. I think that motor is rated for a 1.2 meter in it's specs, check Sadoun's website for more info.

That's a big dish for one of these small H-H motors, it will catch a lot of wind.

HH Motors STAB, DigiPower, Moteck, SatControl, Sadoun DisEqC

I've been reading alot on these and all of them say they are good for a max of 1.2 meter dish. Some have plastic gears and some have metal gears. I live in town and it will be in my back yard, somewhat protected. I was wondering which one(s) would be less prone for gear damage in the cold winters. Plus any good and bad luck the experienced tester have had with motors.

I've been reading alot on these and all of them say they are good for a max of 1.2 meter dish. Some have plastic gears and some have metal gears. I live in town and it will be in my back yard, somewhat protected. I was wondering which one(s) would be less prone for gear damage in the cold winters. Plus any good and bad luck the experienced tester have had with motors.

AJV,

The motor that Phlatwound mentioned will suit you (DG-380). I personally prefer the model just below this which is the DG-280B.

The B model comes with a 42 mm motor tube. The straight DG-280 model comes with a 50mm motor tube. So be sure to order the right model for your needs.

The main difference between the 280 and the 380 is that the 380 has automatic backlash adjustment. The 280 models require you to adjust this manually.

Otherwise, these motors are identical.

I have purchased both and I prefer the 280. The difference in price makes the DG-280 the motor of choice.

I hope that the retailer (sponsor) doesn't mind my truthfulnes on this subject, but I have to state it like it is.

Radar

Congratulations on the choice of 1.2m dish.
I like that one, too.

There aren't many motors actually rated for the big dishes.
Oh, sure there have been projects described on the forum where big dishes have been mounted on small motors, but then we try all sorts of things. :rolleyes:

STAB HH-120 and DG-280/380 are about it.
If I had the dish and wanted to motorize it, my money would be on the 380, as the only choice.
That's personal opinion, based on years of monitoring feedback from members on all sorts of choices.
...And the fact that I'd prefer to take my chances on other parameters, not the reliability of the motor.

Since the GeoSatPro 1.2m dish WILL mount on the larger 55mm motor tube, I would absolutely get a motor with the larger shaft.
That would be the 280 or 380, as you prefer.
Gives more mechanical rigidity at a weak/slip point.

There aren't many motors actually rated for the big dishes.

STAB HH-120 and DG-280/380 are about it.

If I had the dish and wanted to motorize it, my money would be on the 380, as the only choice.

That's personal opinion, based on years of monitoring feedback from members on all sorts of choices.

AJV,

I do agree with Anole, to an extent. But, like he said, a lot of this is opinion based. My opinion is very close to Anole's. I just happen to think that the DG-280 is better because the price is lower. Otherwise, there is no real great difference.

When you set out to purchase your equipment, you will use your own judgment no matter what. You will not go wrong with any of the motors that Anole or I have mentioned. They are all good.

Take care fellas (and any ladies who might be here tonight).

Radar

I'm running a Fortec 1.2m dish on a DG380, and it has operated flawlessly this winter. I'm at the lakeshore and we DO get some winds, but it is partially sheltered being next to the house and slightly downhill.
Have fun.
:)

Ditto here for a DG380.

Although I have a 1 meter attached to my DG380 and may have gotten away with a smaller motor, I tend to go for the largest anything that I can afford for a particular job. That way I'm never caught with something that's undersized or underpowered. Sometimes the cost is only 10-20% more. But if something is too small, I'm spending a lot more to get what I need.

If you do get a DG380 beware the threads on the U-bolts. They can have little flecks of metal that weren't cleanly removed when the bolts were threaded and they can cause the nuts to bind permanently or embed themselves in your skin. Use a wire brush and then some sand paper to remove them and put some oil on the threads after that. Knowing that probably would have saved me about four hours of fooling around.

I would like to forewarn everyone to check the bolts that hold the two halves of the motor case together. I have found two motors where these bolts were not fully tightened.

When the dish was attached to the motor, the two halves separated slightly (just a 1/16" to 1/8" is all) but this caused the motor latitude to be off.

The upper half of the motor bolts to the bracket on the mast and this is where you set the latitude angle. The bottom half of the motor holds the dish. So you can see that if the lower half is loose, it can drop down and change the latitude angle.

Make sure you check this before you assemble the motor and dish on the mast.

Radar

DG 380

The DG 380 is a fine motor. I had touble with it in the past, but I have since discovered that the problem was with my Mercury II receiver's unreliable performance on vertical signals. It took me a long time to figure that out.

The manufacturer needs to supply decent u-bolts.

Well thanks guys. I had in mind the DG-380, but no experience. I did ready earlier someone had problems with the DG-380, with the ato backlash adjustment, on how to adjust it,but I did not follow the thread to see what was wrong. I also have a BSC621 lnbf and was hearing something a differant scaler ring for offset dishes. Anyone know anything about these and where to get one?

conical scalar for offset dishes:

... I also have a BSC621 lnbf and was hearing something a differant scaler ring for offset dishes.
Anyone know anything about these and where to get one?
You wouldn't know from the thread name, but this will answer your question. - :up

Here's an example of the improvement you might see, using one on an offset dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)