Need VIP612 replacement

C Hall Smith

Original poster
Jun 25, 2019
California
My Dish VIP 612 seems to be kaput. It:

will not power down
resets every 15 minutes or so
will not display anything but black (except when resetting)
no front-panel buttons function (except to reset)
no remote buttons function
receiver sees valid HDMI signal
receiver has 2 dedicated ventilation fans behind it. not hot hear today

I have tried:

multiple resets
different HDMI cables
bypassing receiver
checked HDMI & analog composite outputs
ran heavy extension cord to another circuit

Any way to have it replaced without slogging though endless Dish tech support scripts and nonsense?

Thanks so much!

Contact your local retailer if you have a good one and get a Hopper upgrade. A Hopper Duo would probably do you nicely. :)

Reactions: charlesrshell
Definitely go with one of the Hopper models, but not the Hopper 1/Hopper 2000.

I don’t think Dish is replacing ViP612 receivers with the same model anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I don’t think Dish is replacing ViP612 receivers with the same model anymore.

They reputedly junked the 2 I turned back in when I upgraded to the Hopper. That is too bad because I liked them a lot.

To answer the OP, I did this upgrade through a member of DIRT here. They are really good and don't hassle you with endless requests to reboot or read off numbers you can't read off if the receiver is kaput. They went away a year or so ago, but Scott is working to get them back.

I think having Dish replace the 612 with whatever they replace it with these days would be your cheapest option.

Reactions: HipKat and navychop
My Dish VIP 612 seems to be kaput. It:

will not power down
resets every 15 minutes or so
will not display anything but black (except when resetting)
no front-panel buttons function (except to reset)
no remote buttons function
receiver sees valid HDMI signal
receiver has 2 dedicated ventilation fans behind it. not hot hear today

I have tried:

multiple resets
different HDMI cables
bypassing receiver
checked HDMI & analog composite outputs
ran heavy extension cord to another circuit

Any way to have it replaced without slogging though endless Dish tech support scripts and nonsense?

Thanks so much!

As I understand it DISH will replace with a 612 if that's what you have. That's assuming they still have refurbished ones left. They will not do a new install with it. If you can use a DIRT member they will expedite the situation, otherwise it's scripts and nonsense.

Reactions: TheKrell
Didn’t someone post here that the ViP612s were NOT being replaced like for like? A start on removing non-Hopper/Wally receivers from service?

Didn’t someone post here that the ViP612s were NOT being replaced like for like? A start on removing non-Hopper/Wally receivers from service?

If they did doesn't make it true. Fake news post? :biggrin

Maybe policy has changed I know a way to find out........ If you need to replace one try it....

It seems drastic to me if they are just sending a receiver to you for replacement not to it. This isn't like when receivers became non compatible and had to be replaced.

Reactions: TheKrell
I just upgraded my receivers to the Hopper 3 and Joey 3 so I have two 612 receivers, with remotes, in good shape that I am willing to sell. Just PM me if you are interested. You will need to check with Dish first to see if they will let you replace yours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts