Neighbor taking satellite signal??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Actually yes I am saying exactly that. Not only do I know the real estate rule, I took the course in the same city as the OP. Would you like me to rip a page out of the book and scan it to you? Its not a law. Its a ruling that the law would use.

I am only saying what are the actual rights of the tenant. Im only saying cutting the lines is not recommended and the apartment complex needs to make the decision on whether a new dish needs to be put up.

Yes, I do want you to scan and post a copy. In a previous post you used the word legally referring to this. That means to me that there is a specific law.

Are you in Asheville, NC? If so, i can help you.

GENERALLY speak, if you look straight up (over the dish) and there is no roof above that spot, then its a common area. If its over a roofed in area, then you can go to town cutting the cables. If not, its wise to deal with the tenant and management first.

GENERALLY speaking, that makes no sense to me, at all.

Hell, if he parks his car in the parking lot, does that make it a private parking lot for him alone?

If he pays for a private parking spot & someone else parks there should he just "not be a jerk" & let them share?

Last edited:
*UPDATE*
I called D* on the way home from work they are sending an installer out on Saturday morning to come remove the wires. They told me this should have never been done and for multiple reasons each customer HAS to have their OWN dish. When I got home it looked as thought the wires had been cut from the box they were going into. I'm keeping the appointment to have them removed from the ground and taken of the dish as well. Hopefully this solves it.

I may have missed this in trying to read through all the posts but alot of people are jumping on the neighbor, what if he called directv and ordered the service and the installer did this on his own? how is that the neighbors fault? just my two cents, if it was the neighbors idea then forget what i said...lol

I may have missed this in trying to read through all the posts but alot of people are jumping on the neighbor, what if he called directv and ordered the service and the installer did this on his own? how is that the neighbors fault? just my two cents, if it was the neighbors idea then forget what i said...lol
I specifically told the neighbor no to sharing the dish on multiple times. For my own reasons as well as D* saying it isn't legal to do it.

I specifically told the neighbor no to sharing the dish on multiple times. For my own reasons as well as D* saying it isn't legal to do it.
I'm curious if the neighbor told the installer it was ok to use even though you said no, or did the installer do it on his own and the neighbor just not tell him that you said no.

I'm curious if the neighbor told the installer it was ok to use even though you said no, or did the installer do it on his own and the neighbor just not tell him that you said no.
Will probably never know the answer to that one. This happened while I was at work. So I am guessing there will be no way of telling

If they are stealing the signal, then it would be illigal. As long as they are paying for the service, then their is nothing illigal about it. It would be interesting to know if they asked the landlord for permission as well. Especially, since the dug a trench from it to their apartment.
The CSR from D* told me that when I called about the situation. It may not be but that is what I was told.

There is nothing illegal about it.

You say its legal. *If* they say it isnt they win the argument since they are required to know and follow the law about these things. However, information is sometimes misunderstood.

Anyways about being good neighbors, its better in the long run to work things out and come to a compromise regardless of who is in the right. The neighbor in this case will have to acknowledge that the OP gets priority if/when he wishes to add a receiver. Also, it will be the neighbors responsibility to get his own dish when the OP moves.

A year or two ago there was a problem in my area between two neighbors concerning a driveway and right-of-way. One said that since it was his driveway he could block access anytime he wanted. The other said that various ordinances allowed him to use it to get to his property... so long as he didnt park anything on it. Long story short: this simple problem that could have been solved with a compromise ended up with one guy murdering the other... and shooting his wife also who was laying face down on the ground at the time.

It's not 'illegal' as in you can be criminally prosecuted. You do require permission though.

Regardless, I think a clarification from both the neighbor and the landlord is needed. I'm willing to bet good money that the installer asked the landlord who said it was ok. The landlord needs to know the ramifications of this though, and they should realize that they might be responsible for maintenance and upkeep of the dish since it's now shared between tenants.

You say its legal. *If* they say it isnt they win the argument since they are required to know and follow the law about these things. However, information is sometimes misunderstood.

Anyways about being good neighbors, its better in the long run to work things out and come to a compromise regardless of who is in the right. The neighbor in this case will have to acknowledge that the OP gets priority if/when he wishes to add a receiver. Also, it will be the neighbors responsibility to get his own dish when the OP moves.

A year or two ago there was a problem in my area between two neighbors concerning a driveway and right-of-way. One said that since it was his driveway he could block access anytime he wanted. The other said that various ordinances allowed him to use it to get to his property... so long as he didnt park anything on it. Long story short: this simple problem that could have been solved with a compromise ended up with one guy murdering the other... and shooting his wife also who was laying face down on the ground at the time.

I would be willing to bet my life savings that there is no law on the book that prevents the sharing of Dishes. Now stealing programming is a different story.

I do agree and have said earlier in the thread that he needs to work it out with the neighbor in mind as you never want to make enemies that close to where you live.

I'm not trying to make enemies. I never meet the guy until he saw I had a dish and showed up at my door asking about it. Second the apartment I am in is very strict about what the do and do not allow with dishes. I know it isn't common to take it with you when I leave but I have to under apartment guidelines. Pole concrete wires everything. The information I am getting on if it is something that is suppose to be done or not is all coming from D* csr people. I'm only reporting and going off what they tell me. One of them even told me to get a police report on it, but I don't have the desire to take it that far and blow this thing up even more. I will be happy when D* shows up Saturday morning to remove the wires.

I'm not trying to make enemies. I never meet the guy until he saw I had a dish and showed up at my door asking about it. Second the apartment I am in is very strict about what the do and do not allow with dishes. I know it isn't common to take it with you when I leave but I have to under apartment guidelines. Pole concrete wires everything. The information I am getting on if it is something that is suppose to be done or not is all coming from D* csr people. I'm only reporting and going off what they tell me. One of them even told me to get a police report on it, but I don't have the desire to take it that far and blow this thing up even more. I will be happy when D* shows up Saturday morning to remove the wires.

IMO you are doing everything right here. The only other thing I would do is to let you neighbor know that they are coming out on Saturday so he can possibly be prepared to have a dish installed that day also.

FYI since you are new to Directv. The CSR's are clueless.

IMO you are doing everything right here. The only other thing I would do is to let you neighbor know that they are coming out on Saturday so he can possibly be prepared to have a dish installed that day also.

FYI since you are new to Directv. The CSR's are clueless.
Just like he let him know he was hooking to his dish. I would have some words for him!!!!!:eek:

Just like he let him know he was hooking to his dish. I would have some words for him!!!!!

So just because the neighbor did something wrong means that he has to? I guess I am just a unique person in this matter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)