Nesn HD and other RSN Info

Status
Please reply by conversation.
ScoBuck said:
I didn't attack you - I told you to ask another member (who has E*) and has posted from his experience HUGE problems with HD locals from DISH.

I know that, but if you look overall at these message boards, you see far more complaints about mpeg 4 with directv. More of the issues with dish are with unsatisfactory PQ related but not as serious as fullscreen pixelation and complete audio and video drops.

And it's not very intelligent to get your answer based on one subs' experiences.

Questioner said:
I know that, but if you look overall at these message boards, you see far more complaints about mpeg 4 with directv. More of the issues with dish are with unsatisfactory PQ related but not as serious as fullscreen pixelation and complete audio and video drops.

And it's not very intelligent to get your answer based on one subs' experiences.

But it IS very intelligent to get serious, factual information from someone who has been involved and around HD and these forums and has a sterling reputation like keenan - as opposed to ramblings, diatribes, and the like.

ScoBuck said:
But it IS very intelligent to get serious, factual information from someone who has been involved and around HD and these forums and has a sterling reputation like keenan - as opposed to ramblings, diatribes, and the like.

You seem awfully knowledgable about this forum considering your newbie status.

If Keenan provided his experiences along with a general summary of other subs experiences on this forum, I would agree.

Questioner said:
You seem awfully knowledgable about this forum considering your newbie status.

If Keenan provided his experiences along with a general summary of other subs experiences on this forum, I would agree.

Don't plead ignorant as to my newbie status - you know me from your previous membership at DBSTalk.com, as well as from avsforums. You have also read and asked keenan questions about this very issue previously.

ScoBuck said:
Don't plead ignorant as to my newbie status - you know me from your previous membership at DBSTalk.com, as well as from avsforums. You have also read and asked keenan questions about this very issue previously.

AVSforums? I don't post there. I don't recall corresponding with keenan here about this specific issue on this board, but I may have.

Even if I did know you from avs, that doesn't change the fact that supposedly you are very new here but yet aware of what has been posted here in detail.

Questioner said:
Not as widespread, plus at least you can record them to better troubleshoot issues. But the point is, with a good OTA signal, no, you won't have that.

Well of course since E* does not provide as many HD-LiL as D* :rolleyes:

TulsaCoker said:
Well of course since E* does not provide as many HD-LiL as D* :rolleyes:

True, but I meant the percentage of subs that complain. It's not so much the frequency of users anyway, but the seriousness of the issues they report.

Last edited:
TulsaCoker said:
Without knowing the number of complaints it's had to tell, only that fact that BOTH E* and D* has some issues with HD LiL.

I guess, but it's pretty clear each has different types of problems with mpeg 4. Personally, I think lack of sharpness and ghosting is better than complete pixelization and audio and video drops, but that's up to you.

TulsaCoker said:
Maybe other then the fact that E* also has pixelization and drop out too so it's not a choice of one problem vs. another.

I have found these issues to be much less common with dish.

Questioner said:
I have found these issues to be much less common with dish.

I don't have dish - but whether the problem on D* is audio synch, or the problem on E* is PQ (whatever that means to different people) - BOTH have issues!

But BOTH won't have NESN-HD in a week - which IS the topic of this thread. I may be a newbie to THIS forum, but as you ALREADY KNOW, not a newbie to this discussion. You don't have to only come to satguys to know answers to questions, or to ask questions.

Please make some rational sense to me as why a newbie to this site (who you already know has been in several already named forums) would be any less educated about these topics?

ScoBuck said:
I don't have dish - but whether the problem on D* is audio synch, or the problem on E* is PQ (whatever that means to different people) - BOTH have issues!

But BOTH won't have NESN-HD in a week - which IS the topic of this thread. I may be a newbie to THIS forum, but as you ALREADY KNOW, not a newbie to this discussion. You don't have to only come to satguys to know answers to questions, or to ask questions.

Please make some rational sense to me as why a newbie to this site (who you already know has been in several already named forums) would be any less educated about these topics?

Dish has issues that "interfer" with viewing, directv has problems that "prevent" viewing, that's the key difference.

I never said you should not be familiar with these points because you just joined, it's the claim that you are a newbie here at all that I find suspect.

Questioner said:
Dish has issues that "interfer" with viewing, directv has problems that "prevent" viewing, that's the key difference.

I never said you should not be familiar with these points because you just joined, it's the claim that you are a newbie here at all that I find suspect.

You are the one that made that claim! What in God's green earth are you talking about?

I love the way the Dish people are putting D* down. Yes, the RSN's are being SPOT BEAMED for the time being. That will change. Yes they are showing games only. The point is the only HD programming most of these stations have is the game only. NESN will be 24/7. D* will also be showing NBA and NHL games through the RSN's. It just so happens that these leagues are not playing right now. The unfortunate part is that D* may be wasting future bandwith on the VOOM channels. They have agreements in place to broadcast FSN-Bay Area, MSG, and FSN New York. These channels are owned by the Dolans and Rainbow. Something tells me there is a deal in place for VOOM for next year.

Questioner said:
I guess, but it's pretty clear each has different types of problems with mpeg 4. Personally, I think lack of sharpness and ghosting is better than complete pixelization and audio and video drops, but that's up to you.
As this is a DirecTV thread and I was asked about Dish locals so I'll be brief.

This is also specific to SF bay area Dish local HD channels, I have no idea if or what problems they are having elsewhere, although a look through the threads does produce some information that the SF problems are not totally isolated.

The 720p stations here, ABC and FOX seemed to have the best PQ although there is an ongoing issue with audio-sync with the ABC station.

The 1080i stations, CBS and NBC have various problems from ghosting to stuttering video-I recall reading somewhere in this forum that the Dish MPEG4 encoders were having problems with 1080i content although I have no specifics.

All 4 of the stations have a soft look and the colors are somewhat washed out when compared to a Comcast feed which in this area is full rez/full bitrate, conversion to QAM being the only signal manipulation.

I have not seen any pixelization or any dropouts that I can recall.

The washed out look could possibly be improved by calibrating the STB to the display and is something that I'm getting done anyway as is time again to do the whole system. The rest of the problems can only be fixed by Dish in my estimation, and I hope they have them worked out before the fall season begins as I would prefer to be able to drop Comcast-at this point in time, the Dish PQ is not acceptable enough to do that.

The above observations made with a Dish 622-HDMI and component, feeding a DVDO VP30-HDMI out to a Mits 9" CRT equipped 73' RPTV.

(Guess that wasn't very brief now that I see the post itself..:p )

Questioner said:

Ok - SPECIFICALLY, which DirecTV issues PREVENT as opposed to INTERFERE? I have had MPEG4 NYC locals since January. I have no issues preventing me from watching ANY programs on any of the HD channels. There are some synch problems (same as E*), OCCASIONALLY CBS has had some pixelation probs (Do not prevent me from watching), but ABC, and NBC and FOX have delivered outstanding PQ on my Plasma.

Last edited:
In most cases, mpeg 4 issues with directv do not prevent viewing for hours at a time, but it's not uncommon to have frequent audio and video drops as well as screens that are pixeled beyond recognition for 10 or more seconds at a time. Dish on the other hand, the problems rarely become so severe you miss decent portions of a program when you add up all the outages. You are very lucky to have so few problems in your market.

It's unfortunate the problems keenan has had, but they are basically the issues I have described with dish. If he had to put up with directv's mpeg 4 issues, he may not find them so bad, but clearly both services have technical issues.

Questioner said:

You know each system has it's advantages and disadvantages Thursday, Friday and Saturday I will be watching The Minnesota Twins IN HD thru my RSN no one on E* will. And yes I have read on the E* side of things where they are having mpeg4 problems it is not isolated to D* I myself have not had any of these problems. Right now I am happy with my content on D* Lets see what happens in the next year when D* gets a couple more Sats up and gets some relief on the bandwith my quess is D* will be on top. If not I will :hungry: my words and switch if necessary. As far as my PQ I have compared it to the Charter cable in Town and
I really see no difference and OTA is not possible as I am over 100 miles from any digital tower. Again my choice is D* at this time for others it is E* but you do not see me posting on the E* side knocking there choice!!!

Questioner said:
In most cases, mpeg 4 issues with directv do not prevent viewing for hours at a time, but it's not uncommon to have frequent audio and video drops as well as screens that are pixeled beyond recognition for 10 or more seconds at a time. Dish on the other hand, the problems rarely become so severe you miss decent portions of a program when you add up all the outages. You are very lucky to have so few problems in your market.

It's unfortunate the problems keenan has had, but they are basically the issues I have described with dish. If he had to put up with directv's mpeg 4 issues, he may not find them so bad, but clearly both services have technical issues.

By the way there are occasional drops, certainly NOT frequent drops. They only interfere, they do NOT prevent watching.

What market are YOU watching in, what D* and what E* equipment do you use?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts