Nesn HD and other RSN Info

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
ScoBuck said:
You are the one that made that claim! What in God's green earth are you talking about?

No, I used newbie in the sense that you supposedly just joined, not in the respect that you have limited technical knowledge.

upnorth said:
You know each system has it's advantages and disadvantages Thursday, Friday and Saturday I will be watching The Minnesota Twins IN HD thru my RSN no one on E* will. And yes I have read on the E* side of things where they are having mpeg4 problems it is not isolated to D* I myself have not had any of these problems. Right now I am happy with my content on D* Lets see what happens in the next year when D* gets a couple more Sats up and gets some relief on the bandwith my quess is D* will be on top. If not I will :hungry: my words and switch if necessary. As far as my PQ I have compared it to the Charter cable in Town and
I really see no difference and OTA is not possible as I am over 100 miles from any digital tower. Again my choice is D* at this time for others it is E* but you do not see me posting on the E* side knocking there choice!!!

Thankfully the mpeg 4 rsns do not seem prone to many issues, though at first there were frequent video and audio problems reported, some severe.

ScoBuck said:
By the way there are occasional drops, certainly NOT frequent drops. They only interfere, they do NOT prevent watching.

It's not that uncommon for directv users to report these periodic drops 10 or more times an hour. That may not be frequent, but it's more than occassional in my book, check out the directv technical support boards.

Dish has had major issues through their history, and still has from time to time just as serious. Just last week they were losing Texas area LIL for long periods of time during P/T with ZERO explanation. Hows that for PREVENTING users from watching?

Dish's history is far more checkered with issues which makes the above statement less than accurate even today. And it comes off as a total lack of knowledge of the history of both providers and/or having some beef or axe to grind.

Up to the the first weeks of 2006 I had both at the same time, side by side (dish for 2 full years and DirecTV for over 10). I also have seem at least 3 buddies switch back to DirecTV and know 2 more coming. So there is plenty of knowledge and comparison at hand. The programming is 99% the same, but the DirecTV service and hardware has remained better; Dish is still trying to catch up in the regard to me.

What professional research/tech info do you have to know the difference between broadcast truck/facility issues, network issues, or DBS issues? Audio or video? For every person complaining about something in particular, I can find twice as many NOT having that issue. When do you rule out personal setups not being correctly done? NOT all things are equal when it comes to A/V or satellite. This is why things you thing are serious problems should be discussed directly with your provider's tech help, not CSRs or someone with a different A/V setup 900 miles away; unless you just want to chat without getting real help/answers.

Last edited:
Questioner said:
No, I used newbie in the sense that you supposedly just joined, not in the respect that you have limited technical knowledge.

This is off - topic, but since you brought it up twice already in this thread, what does 'supposedly' just joined mean? I joined this site yesterday - and with few 'exceptions' it looks like a fantastic site.

Questioner said:
Thankfully the mpeg 4 rsns do not seem prone to many issues, though at first there were frequent video and audio problems reported, some severe.

I can only speak for myself but I have had the MPEG 4 locals for a couple months with no major issues some lip sync problem But last nights All Star game was flawless great PQ and no lip sync my PQ is much better on MPEG 4 than the MPEG 2 and if that is a sign of what's to come I am happy.

Questioner said:
It's not that uncommon for directv users to report these periodic drops 10 or more times an hour. That may not be frequent, but it's more than occassional in my book, check out the directv technical support boards.

Man I do not understand it I have nothing like that I quess if I did I would be very :mad: also could it be a regional issue? a transponder ??:confused:

upnorth said:
I can only speak for myself but I have had the MPEG 4 locals for a couple months with no major issues some lip sync problem But last nights All Star game was flawless great PQ and no lip sync my PQ is much better on MPEG 4 than the MPEG 2 and if that is a sign of what's to come I am happy.
That's encouraging, what MPEG2 signal are you comparing it to?

keenan said:
That's encouraging, what MPEG2 signal are you comparing it to?

Some of them in the 70's and I get ABC on 86 big difference there. My Espn's are good as well as Discovery and HD Net. The others are so so :cool:

upnorth said:
Some of them in the 70's and I get ABC on 86 big difference there. My Espn's are good as well as Discovery and HD Net. The others are so so :cool:
So you are saying that your local MPEG4 feed of ABC is as good ABC-NY?

Wow..that would work for me, depending on size of display, not quite as good as Comcast, but certainly acceptable. So far, SF Dish locals are not as close to that quality-using the Dish CBS-West as a comparison with the local Dish CBS channel shows there are some definite problems.

Questioner said:

I have never had any of these issues with my MPEG4 locals.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)