Netflix app can't connect from Hopper with Sling.

2ktj

Original poster
Jan 23, 2015
United States
Just had 2 new Hoppers with Slings installed yesterday. All of the internet connected apps work just fine, with the exception of Netflix. I had a tech back out and using his cell phone as a wireless hotspot, we were able to prove that the app itself appears to be installed correctly. So that leaves my Network. Nothing special, whole house wired with ethernet, running through a linksys router, into a comcast modem and out to the interwebs. My netflix app on my iphones/ipad work on the network, as well as the netflix app on my Roku boxes. The question of the hour is, what does the dish netflix app need that NO other netflix seems to need?? Is there a port or protocol that needs to be opened on the router? I'm stumped, and so was the dish tech.

Last edited:
Key word in your post, YESTERDAY. The Hopper apps take three days or more to download and install before all are operational. The Dish tech should have know that, but Alas....

And WELCOME to Sat Guys.

Reactions: budda
Yeah, one tech from dish mentioned the 3 day wait, others called it BS. The issue is the app worked just fine when we hooked the receiver up to a cell phone wireless hotspot, but it fails on my lan. I believe the code base is intact.

Yeah, one tech from dish mentioned the 3 day wait, others called it BS. The issue is the app worked just fine when we hooked the receiver up to a cell phone wireless hotspot, but it fails on my lan. I believe the code base is intact.

FWIW, I got mine in about 10 minutes, but I have a 65 meg cable connection, sooo... ;)

I have the same problem with the Netflix app on my Vizeo smart TV. All other apps work except Netflix. I get an error msg saying it cannot find an internet connection. It works fine on my HWS using the same router. I have no idea why this should happen other than the Netflix sw has problems.

Had some more time today to play with this so I have a little more info. When I connect the hopper directly to my cable modem, the app works. This points to something in my linksys router/firewall. I do have some port forwarding rules set up so I disabled them all and it still fails. I will post more if I figure it out. Anyone else have any ideas?

Have you tried flushing all the ip addresses out of your modem and router. Maybe two devices trying to use the same address.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark on this one. It could be that for some unknown reason that the Netflix app on the hopper is trying to use a non standard port for Netflix that your router for some reason is blocking. It could be that Dish is getting around this potentially by using UPNP to open the port on your router. If you have UPNP disabled on your router try and enable it and see if the app works then. Personally I have the setting disabled on mine since I don't like apps just opening ports on a whim. If this is the case then I'll likely have to try and figure out what port it's using if I for some reason end up in the same situation when my standard Hopper gets the software and if that's the case it'll be time to do some Wireshark sniffing.

Funny you mention wireshark. Running it as we speak. :) UPnP is already enabled also. It's got to be something non standard in the dish version of the app. Netflix works just fine from my iDevices and 2 rokus on he same network. More to come. Going to check the wireshark logs...

Feel free to post the wireshark capture logs if you want. I'm not sure how experienced other folks are in this field as the main focus of the site is for entertainment. But since so much is available via IP delivered services I'm probably not the only person who knows what to look for in those logs.

Have you tried DMZ the HWS? Just a thought.
That's actually a good idea. In theory, that would remove the firewall from the equation and let the hopper out on to the internet unblocked. Tried it this morning and no dice. I was actually hopeful this might be kludge that would work.

Feel free to post the wireshark capture logs if you want. I'm not sure how experienced other folks are in this field as the main focus of the site is for entertainment. But since so much is available via IP delivered services I'm probably not the only person who knows what to look for in those logs.

Here they are from this morning. I wasn't getting clean logs, so I put just the hopper and a PC on a hub, directly behind the router. That gave much better visibility. The router and switches were doing a good job of isolating traffic. The Hopper is 192.168.1.31. There are some calls to IPs and ports, but nothing stands out to me.

Attachments

• Wireshark.txt
    64.6 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:
On the phone with Netflix now They are saying it's a known issue on their end. They are going to have a L3 engineer call me back to talk about it.

Did you ever get this resolved? I just got a new HWS today and have the same issue. Running a wired connection and when I click on the netflix app the screen goes dark for 5 seconds then back to regular programming. Upset about this, because this was one of the reasons I used to convince the Mrs we needed the upgrade!

Did you ever get this resolved? I just got a new HWS today and have the same issue. Running a wired connection and when I click on the netflix app the screen goes dark for 5 seconds then back to regular programming. Upset about this, because this was one of the reasons I used to convince the Mrs we needed the upgrade!

Not resolved yet. I've been working with Netflix and Echostar to get them wireshark logs and do testing for them . They know that it's broke for a small population, but they can't figure out why. Just out of curiosity, what linksys router are you using??

Damn!! Why didn't I, Dish support or Netflix support think of trying this first... :coco
Making sure. Most people will just do one or the other. And as far as dish phone support, I still question a lot of what they do, and that was from the inside.

Reactions: Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts