Netflix to Begin Cracking Down on Password Sharing

What cable service is $79?

Then you add on the Broadcast Channel Fee, roughly $22, then the RSN fees, roughly $14, then Box/DVR fees, roughly $15 for the first, $7 for each after.

Here is mine, all yearly, all commercial free
Paramount+ with Showtime-$129 (all Viacom/CBS Programing)
Peacock-$50( all Universal/NBC)
Hulu with Disney+ and ESPN+-$240(all ABC/Fox/Nat Geo/Disney)
HBO-$149
Netflix-$240
OTA-Free
ABC/CBS/NBC News apps-free
Pluto/Tubi/etc-free

So a yearly total of $808, divide by 12=$67.33 a month.

I do have Prime, but I have it for the shipping, hence why I do not include it.
Who says you can't do a Cable company without the Box fees and DVR fees and why would you add the RSN fees, IF you get RSN's via Streaming, you Still have to pay the RSN fee, and the Broadcast fee will be with Streaming as well.

Who says you can't do a Cable company without the Box fees and DVR fees
Comcast and Charter have been doing it for years, my step-father has Comcast back in Michigan, just uses Rokus.
and why would you add the RSN fees, IF you get RSN's via Streaming, you Still have to pay the RSN fee
No RSN fee with DirecTV Stream, YTTV and Hulu Live do not carry them, so obviously no fee
and the Broadcast fee will be with Streaming as well.
No Broadcast fee with any of the Live TV streaming services.

Comcast and Charter have been doing it for years, my step-father has Comcast back in Michigan, just uses Rokus.

No RSN fee with DirecTV Stream, YTTV and Hulu Live do not carry them, so obviously no fee

No Broadcast fee with any of the Live TV streaming services.
So, your not comparing Apples to Apples.

So, your not comparing Apples to Apples.
There is no apples and apples when you compare Streaming and Traditional Providers.

But at least with streaming I can do a true a la carte and pick what I want, still get all the programing I want and avoid all those fees that chart did not include for cable.

Also, that chart was not fair, first off Discovery+ is on there, I would never subscribe to it.

Second it has Disney at $20 which would be the bundle price with Hulu and ESPN+, which you do not have to get, you can just get Hulu for example.

Also, it includes Netflix, which has mostly exclusive content and nothing to do with the programming on Traditional Providers, a 100% option , it would cost extra if you were a cord cutter or a Live TV subscriber, not a replacement.

Same for having HBO on the streaming side of that chart, show me one cable subscription that includes HBO, all the fees for $79.

Amazed that you are going at me for criticizing that $79 price since you have posted your DirecTV bill alone is over $140 a month.

Reactions: ncted
There is no apples and apples when you compare Streaming and Traditional Providers.

But at least with streaming I can do a true a la carte and pick what I want, still get all the programing I want and avoid all those fees that chart did not include for cable.

Also, that chart was not fair, first off Discovery+ is on there, I would never subscribe to it.

Second it has Disney at $20 which would be the bundle price with Hulu and ESPN+, which you do not have to get, you can just get Hulu for example.

Also, it includes Netflix, which has mostly exclusive content and nothing to do with the programming on Traditional Providers, a 100% option , it would cost extra if you were a cord cutter or a Live TV subscriber, not a replacement.

Same for having HBO on the streaming side of that chart, show me one cable subscription that includes HBO, all the fees for $79.

Amazed that you are going at me for criticizing that $79 price since you have posted your DirecTV bill alone is over $140 a month.
That was looking at Cable vs Streaming, not D*.

That was looking at Cable vs Streaming, not D*.
Again find one cable service for $79 that includes HBO as that chart included it on the streaming side, also included Netflix on the streaming side which would costs extra if you had it with cable.

Not even close to a fair comparison.

We have not even included the exclusive programing you get on the streaming side but do not get on the cable side of that chart.

Also, went thru some of the creator of this chart tweets and articles on substack, he is very anti-streaming.

Amazing that saving money, more content and much better quality has become such a issue, it reminds me of political discussion.

Again find one cable service for $79 that includes HBO as that chart included it on the streaming side, also included Netflix on the streaming side which would costs extra if you had it with cable.

Not even close to a fair comparison.

We have not even included the exclusive programing you get on the streaming side but do not get on the cable side of that chart.
Ya know, I really didn't respond to have someone come in and complain about everything about it ...

We all know you LOVE Streaming ... and good for you.
Streaming is fine ....
I like the set up of my D* and I can afford it as well as Streaming, the picture is Excellent (not saying its better than Streaming), but with D* I have the channels I need and they look great on my TV's, so I'm actually pretty happy with my Home Theatre situation.

I don't need to nit pick this and that, its budgeted into my yearly expenses.

I am sure that you and I are in the same boat, you can afford all the channels or Streaming services you would want, I don't get your obsession with ... You can save a few dollars this way and that way ...
Some people here cannot, so I understand the conversation.

Biggest problem I have with Streaming is the channels are scattered all over multiple services ...
Remember way back when Cable came out, they took those multiple networks and put them in one location that you could access very easily by flipping the channel.

Talk about channels you won't watch ?
I have Netflix and Prime and Paramount+ and Hulu and .....
There are TONS of things I would never watch, why do I pay for all of it ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Tony
Ya know, I really didn't respond to have someone come in and complain about everything about it ...

We all know you LOVE Streaming ... and good for you.
Streaming is fine ....
I like the set up of my D* and I can afford it as well as Streaming, the picture is Excellent (not saying its better than Streaming, but with D* I have the channels I need and they look great on my TV's, so I'm actually pretty happy with my Home Theatre situation.
I never criticized you for liking DirecTV, I kept it solely on what was on that chart.

But I have been criticized here at this site plenty for preferring the better price, availability/more of content and the better picture and sound quality.
I don't need to nit pick this and that, its budgeted into my yearly expenses.
Good, I refuse to pay real money for stuff I will never watch, why I brought up the RSN fee which that chart did not include, I would never watch Florida teams, so I am glad I do not pay for it, but yet, if I wish, I can pay to watch Detroit Teams, MLB, NHL and soon NFL.
Biggest problem I have with Streaming is the channels are scattered all over multiple services ...
Remember way back when Cable came out, they took those multiple networks and put them in one location that you could access very easily by flipping the channel.
Again, that is a personal preference , changing apps to me is like changing channels for you, just takes a little while to get used to it, then it is muscle memory.
Talk about channels you won't watch ?
I have Netflix and Prime and Paramount+ and Hulu and .....
There are TONS of things I would never watch, why do I pay for all of it ?
And streaming allows you to get rid of them if you wish, you are stuck and paying (per sub fee) for all those channels on a Live TV package that you never watch.

Can you pause a live stream 20 minutes and then skip past the commercials?... not the on demand stuff..an actual streaming channel

Can you pause a live stream 20 minutes and then skip past the commercials?... not the on demand stuff..an actual streaming channel
Via YTTV yes, I remember doing that.

That would be a apples to apples comparison to a Traditional Provider, except the ability to do that (DVR) via YTTV is free and you have to pay a Box/DVR fee to do that with a Traditional Provider.

Via YTTV yes, I remember doing that.

That would be a apples to apples comparison to a Traditional Provider, except the ability to do that (DVR) via YTTV is free and you have to pay a Box/DVR fee to do that with a Traditional Provider.
It doesn't work on YTTV...you can record but not just pause a live stream without recording it

It doesn't work on YTTV...you can record but not just pause a live stream without recording it
I just did it, paused it for 10 min ( watching Fox Business right now), FF right thru the commercials.

It also gives me the option if I switch to something Live that is scheduled to be recorded, if I want to start at the beginning or watch live, I also can can ff thru commercials.

Is this something you tried or read about.

Using a Roku Ultra by the way.

I just did it, paused it for 10 min ( watching Fox Business right now), FF right thru the commercials.

It also gives me the option if I switch to something Live that is scheduled to be recorded, if I want to start at the beginning or watch live, I also can can ff thru commercials.

Is this something you tried or read about.

Using a Roku Ultra by the way.
Roku has a buffer?...nah...unless you have a memory card in it...nobody seems to be able to pause a live stream and resume.after 20 not 10 minutes..yttv doesn't buffer live streams unless you are recording...physical DVR has a buffer

Here by the way, I set Varney and Company to record, Live right now

It let’s me Rew and FF
47D6045D-9872-4295-AB7F-135AEB86C20B.jpeg

AA037388-2406-4C6E-9C36-7BFC11D85ACB.jpeg

C9F1C45D-6C6F-4A3C-8A6A-D1875E1D460C.jpeg

F754EA53-EB90-4419-907E-76867FE90BCA.jpeg

9B269833-6F1A-4D3B-835F-752FC2757F34.jpeg

385A7B89-7220-4882-83E3-53FA1664305A.jpeg

Roku has a buffer?...nah...unless you have a memory card in it...nobody seems to be able to pause a live stream and resume.after 20 not 10 minutes..yttv doesn't buffer live streams unless you are recording...physical DVR has a buffer
Look above, now I will go back in time, time is there for you, this is now 24 minutes ago-
52C0BD16-627B-40C8-B2C7-07501AC72EA7.jpeg

Reactions: meStevo
You're getting close. Think his point is the tweet isn't comparing apples to apples.
The Tweet was a joke... and a funny one. A bit cliche, but funny. We knew that getting everything a la carte would be more expensive than a bundle. And we already are seeing some consolidation of the streaming market, because what worked for one company alone (Netflix) isn't working for a dozen plus companies at the same time. If the streaming companies charged what they needed to be profitable... there would be fewer subscribers... again, because things are cheaper in bulk, not individually.

And as usual, go down one of Juan’s Rabbit Holes, prove him wrong and then he runs.
You really should know better. ;)
No clue how they can do this really but i can say that i use Sling for about 3 months out of the year for ESPN (lowest cost option) to watch College Football. It is limited to 1 stream, and believe me they certainly have the technology to control it. I have tried multiple times to get 2 TVs going. I like to have it on in my living room, and my garage where i store my beer. I even tried one stream, on Sling, 2nd stream using ESPN app, and it knows and shots that down right away.
Yeah, ESPN seems to have gotten wise to things, and authentication for subscriptions seems to be a lot more up to date than it was. I do love Dish and the Flex Pack, as that has let me subscribe to ESPN for really short intervals (or longer when needed... World Cup). Dish Flex Pack does own streaming in that aspect.

Reactions: dishdude