New 5 tuner Directv receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
. Unless it has the ability to switch remote TVs to different tuners on the fly, it won't work. .
From the info I got it does do this!
The tuners are claimed to be applied to where ever the demand is , to make sure no programming is being compromised.

But of course your limited to 5 tuners, so I could see tops 3 rooms working fairly well with this formula, But not 4 or 5!

You Figure, only 2 rooms at a time can only watch and record live tv at the same time while TV 3 is just watching live tv.

Thats not enough IMO to be a 5 room HD DVR.
This is Great for Customers that don't DVR!

But you want to be a 5 room DVR system, then the box needs 10,Tuners 8 at the very least!!! Just like E* Vip 722 should have 4 satellite tuners , Not 2!

2 Hr24 and 2 HR20 is about as good as it gets! 4 Hr24 would be the Best. But I would much rather have what your getting then that Single 5 tuner receiver , That I can tell you for sure. Most everyone else would most likly feel the same way.

I don't know if 3D is an issue or option for you , But last I knew the HR20 won't do 3D. Just so your aware!

Never would that ever be an issue with me, but a little added info never hurts.

No 3d here. I guess I haven't caught that bug yet!

Your scaring me stone. I'm getting ready to Lease the HR24,, Am I missing something,, more bugs?

Nothing wrong with it. stay away from the -500s if you use ota . I have a HR20 , HR22 and a HR24. Overall experience I still take the HR20 , then HR24 and dead last the hr22.

I am hoping to get my hands on a HMC30 hopefully with in the next year when I do my upgrade that all.

Nothing wrong with it. stay away from the -500s if you use ota . I have a HR20 , HR22 and a HR24. Overall experience I still take the HR20 , then HR24 and dead last the hr22.

I am hoping to get my hands on a HMC30 hopefully with in the next year when I do my upgrade that all.
I would love to give the HMC 30 a try.

This info dating back to July, makes me wonder why NO MENTION of this Receiver on Satellite Guys, Untill I got Emailed about it from another member who was obviously a major source to Satellite Guys on the Directv Front!

If this was about a Dish Network receiver it would have been ALL OVER this site. Where is Dish Networks whole Home DVR?

This is Way more valuable then a built in sling box that a Fraction of the population even have any intrest in!

I bet 90% of all customers have more then one receiver.
I bet less then 1% have a 922 and I bet less then 2% even know or care about a sling box.

i have to agree with you on this. it seems like when its negative news about directv it'll make front page news quick. when its good news it takes awhile if it ever reaches front page. but whatever. sorry but thats how i see it as well.

I agree also.

This new receiver would make sense for new installs only. I currently have an HR23 & HR22,& I want to add 2 HR 24s(dedicating one to solely record programing),or 1 HR24 & the "mythical" new DIRECTiVo box that is "supposed" come out,with DECA set-up. I already have "unsupported" MRV. This new receiver would make a nice dedicated program recorder in place of the HR24 that I'd want though. We'll see. Would this new receiver have "TiVo" software killing two birds with one stone?

Citvas from dbstalk spoke with someone at CES he believed was in product development and was knowledgable about the HMC30.

Most of this we have known already, but what he wrote is a really good summary of the HMC30 and it's features:

Here’s what I learned about the HMC30 (which I played with hands-on) at CES today from questioning a DirecTV product manager (not a clueless show temp but someone involved in the development). I was just a walk-up and there was no suggestion any of this was confidential – I wouldn’t post it if they had said it was. I think most of this is known (it certainly is by those beta testing but they have been under NDA) or has been speculated on already…

* 5 tuners
* Integrated PIP functionality – you’ll be able to watch two shows on the screen at the same time
* 1 terabyte drive included
* Software at launch will still limit season passes to 50 but they have plans to expand that in a later release – they only plan to expand it for the HMC30, not any of the existing HR2x boxes. He said it takes up a lot of background processing so it only makes sense for this box which has a faster processor.
* At launch software will, like current boxes, treat external HD’s as a replacement for the internal drive rather than an extension. However, for the HMC30 only they plan a software revision that will handle external HD’s as an expansion drive that doesn’t override the internal drive. This will be a big improvement.
* It is compatible with MRV so even though the theory is it acts as a “server” for multiple rooms you can still pair it with other DVR’s if you want.
* RVU-compatible, so it can work remotely with box-free TV's that have RVU, which is currently only a subset of the 2011 Samsung LED line. For everyone else they have small boxes that work with the HMC30 to use remotely with your TV’s.
* Remote is unchanged. UI is unchanged. Look of the receiver is similar to current HR24, but not exactly (it seemed thicker but I didn't study it closely or measure -- I did take a pick on my phone).
* Launching “first half” of this year.

(In another note, the PM said there definitely is no plans to add undelete/delete recovery feature like on the TiVo and some other brands. He said it has been internally debated a few times and settled as a no at least for the time being.)

I am only passing on what I was told (or saw). I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the info, though it was clearly a knowledgeable DirecTV employee.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=188589

The Samsung booth at CES had the HMC30 (now being called HR34) displayed.

Here is the pic hdtvfan at dbstalk took:
attachment.php

His post with more pictures: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=188574

From what I read at the other site it will only need the one coax wire for all 5 tuners. Plus Earl Bonovich said he knows who talked to the poster that posted the info and said that if this particular D* employee said these things about this box, then you can take it to the bank.

Interesting. but.....

I'm still waiting for Direct to stream to my iPhone/iPad without the need of a Sling-box . Seems most providers are ahead in this regard.

Interesting. but.....

I'm still waiting for Direct to stream to my iPhone/iPad without the need of a Sling-box . Seems most providers are ahead in this regard.

This is in the works for 2011. They call it DirecTV Nomad. They mentioned it on their investor day presentation but no details. Will be a hardware solution of some sort is about all I know.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts