New (bad?) PS3 news about controller & battery

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mwgiii

Gaming Guru & Pub Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Birmingham, AL
The controller, while using Bluetooth and therefore being wireless, needs to be connected once to the machine by USB cable prior to use so that the machine can detect the cable (pairing process). This process will be necessary every time the console is powered off then on.

If you use standby mode --> reconnection not necessary (just press the center button).

If you turn the main power off --> have to reconnect w/cable

The lithium battery inside the controller is also recharged using USB connection. Approx. 2.5 hours of recharging is required for a maximum of about 30 hours of play. The controller can be used even if the battery runs out of power by connecting it to the console (USB). However, as the battery cannot be replaced once it becomes unusable (ceases to recharge), the controller has to be replaced or sent for repairs.

Source (Japanese): http://bb.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/special/15818.html

It was posted by IGN's Japanese reporter, so I trust the translation.

Niiice!! I had a feeling Bluetooth was going to be a bit of a problem here.

Nice. So you like this I assume. Well a lithium battery lasts quite a while. I have an iPod from 4 years ago that still charges fine, and iPod from 2 years ago that is still great. I also have a 4 year old laptop battery that still keeps its charge as good as they day i bought it. I have 3 digital cameras that I have owned each over the last 4 years which I have never had to worry with for battery life.

Seem like something to make the M$ fanboys happy. Ohh I can replace my battery. Well you acutaly had to pay for that battery, and the 50 dollar controller. So lets see thats 70 dollars. The PS3 has the battery buit in and the controlly should retail for 50 dollars, at most sixty. So if in 4 years I have to buy a new controller or send it in for a replacement at probably around 20 dollars, big whoop. I doubt I'll be using the same controller 4 years from now any way.

And the part about having to "re-pair" the controller. Ok and the problem here is??? Maybe a slight inconvenicne if i take my PS3 to a friends house or the electricty goes out for that "must happen" one time in a year, but does it really deserve a "Nicccccce". blah "Ohh yah yah those PS3 owners have to connect their controller over a USB cable to pair up. I only have to push a button on the console one time, and on the controller and mine links up blah blah blah." GET A LIFE. And WHY DO PEOPLE TURN OFF MAIN POWER ANYWAY. IT IS THE DUMBEST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD. I left my PS2 on standby all the time for a good 5 years, yet friends always turned it off on the back. Undboutly the dumbest thing I have seen for a console owner to do.

Ok and 2.5 hours for 30 hours of play. That seems fine to me. I charge my 360 controller every once in a while. Every now and then Ill charge it overnight, never had a problem. I dont see why this would get the M$ fanboys, WHEEEEEEEE Fanboys, or Blu-ray haters all excited.

Last edited:
Nice. So you like this I assume. Well a lithium battery lasts quite a while. I have an iPod from 4 years ago that still charges fine, and iPod from 2 years ago that is still great. I also have a 4 year old laptop battery that still keeps its charge as good as they day i bought it. I have 3 digital cameras that I have owned each over the last 4 years which I have never had to worry with for battery life.

Seem like something to make the M$ fanboys happy. Ohh I can replace my battery. Well you acutaly had to pay for that battery, and the 50 dollar controller. So lets see thats 70 dollars. The PS3 has the battery buit in and the controlly should retail for 50 dollars, at most sixty. So if in 4 years I have to buy a new controller or send it in for a replacement at probably around 20 dollars, big whoop. I doubt I'll be using the same controller 4 years from now any way.

And the part about having to "re-pair" the controller. Ok and the problem here is??? Maybe a slight inconvenicne if i take my PS3 to a friends house or the electricty goes out for that "must happen" one time in a year, but does it really deserve a "Nicccccce". blah "Ohh yah yah those PS3 owners have to connect their controller over a USB cable to pair up. I only have to push a button on the console one time, and on the controller and mine links up blah blah blah." GET A LIFE. And WHY DO PEOPLE TURN OFF MAIN POWER ANYWAY. IT IS THE DUMBEST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD. I left my PS2 on standby all the time for a good 5 years, yet friends always turned it off on the back. Undboutly the dumbest thing I have seen for a console owner to do.

Ok and 2.5 hours for 30 hours of play. That seems fine to me. I charge my 360 controller every once in a while. Every now and then Ill charge it overnight, never had a problem. I dont see why this would get the M$ fanboys, WHEEEEEEEE Fanboys, or Blu-ray haters all excited.

No, I was talking about the Bluetooth, but since you bring the battery up... Have you NOT heard about the problem with Sony Li Ion Batteries bursting into flames? Imagine your PS3 controller bursting into flames while playing a game? Nice deep tissue burn there.

How many times have you, God forbid, turn of your PC with bluetooth devices and how many times did you have to re-pair the devices? Or how about your cell phone and bluetooth headset after you turn the phone off? The answer is NONE! Why should this be any different. Turnint the console off may be the dumbest thing you heard of but please tell that to the millions of PC users who still turn it off instead of using standby mode.

You know, I am somewhat convinced you and JoeSP are the same person. You both are Sony Fanboys, you both don't really read what is posted, and you both joined Sat Guys in the same exact month and year (only 2 weeks apart)both in the same general location in the US, both tend to take a hostile tone very early in a thread and are usually the first ones to come out with your heavy firepower personal attacks when people don't agree with you. Strange coincidences, aren't they?

You know, I am somewhat convinced you and JoeSP are the same person. You both are Sony Fanboys, you both don't really read what is posted, and you both joined Sat Guys in the same exact month and year (only 2 weeks apart)both in the same general location in the US, both tend to take a hostile tone very early in a thread and are usually the first ones to come out with your heavy firepower personal attacks when people don't agree with you. Strange coincidences, aren't they?

Haha. Just ask Scott. I give him permission to tell you that I am not JoeSP. WOW. the first time I enter a controversial argument in a forum I get blasted by someone saying that me and another name are the same. What bull S***. Straight up BS! Ohh trust me I have more important things to do besides post twice on an issue. It's great that you think so highly of a fellow forum member! HaHa, I suppose there just cant be any more than 1 person on this world who doesn't hate Sony.

And yes I did hear about the battery problem. Ohh well, who are you to say they didn't straighten that out. I don't really know nor care. It truly doesnt concern me!

Last edited:
How many times have you, God forbid, turn of your PC with bluetooth devices and how many times did you have to re-pair the devices? Or how about your cell phone and bluetooth headset after you turn the phone off? The answer is NONE! Why should this be any different. Turnint the console off may be the dumbest thing you heard of but please tell that to the millions of PC users who still turn it off instead of using standby mode.

Nice job bringing a PC into this. I don't specifically remember posting anything about turning a PC off instead of using standby. Umm, ya know, that must've been that alternate personality of mine!:mad:

AND I do read the entire post ( I don't always read the links though). I read extremely fast, however, and that can sometimes get you into some sh*t on the forums. I will read more carefully from now on

Last edited:
Nice job bringing a PC into this. I don't specifically remember posting anything about turning a PC off instead of using standby. Umm, ya know, that must've been that alternate personality of mine!:mad:

AND I do read the entire post ( I don't always read the links though). I read extremely fast, however, and that can sometimes get you into some sh*t on the forums. I will read more carefully from now on

The point was that PC's AND Cell Phones which are both BT capable DO NOT need to be re-paired after being shut down yet the PS3, a COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT console does. WHY couldnt Sony put that feature into the embedded OS? Too difficult? So if you want to compliment me on bringing the PC into it then thanks. But don't forget that Sony's vision for the PS3 was to try to replace the PC. So you might actually want to credit Sony for bringing the PC aspect into it.

The point was that PC's AND Cell Phones which are both BT capable DO NOT need to be re-paired after being shut down yet the PS3, a COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT console does. WHY couldnt Sony put that feature into the embedded OS? Too difficult? So if you want to compliment me on bringing the PC into it then thanks. But don't forget that Sony's vision for the PS3 was to try to replace the PC. So you might actually want to credit Sony for bringing the PC aspect into it.

I could be wrong, I skimmed something earlier today that stated as soon as you plug in your PS3, you can press the button on the controller, before fully charging it, and it is supposed to turn on. If so then this entire thread is useless

Not to add fule to the fire, but....

1) With the Removable batteries on the XBOX360 controller... I can use:
Their rechargeable pack, Standard AA batteries, or Rechargeable AA batteries.

So if I forget to pull the USB cable out, and plug that controller in...
If the batteries die... I don't have to sit next to the console (which is in my AV center)...I can just plop two AA batteries in there, and continue to play... then when I an done for the night... I can put the rechargeable pack back into controller and charge it over night.

And we are not talking mega dollars here for AA batteries... heck a 48 pack at Home Depot is like $7

If the rechargeable battery pack goes bad.... which they do... maybe not for you, but it is pretty common knowledge that eventualy a rechargeable battery of any type will at some point go bad. Depends SIGNIFICANTLY on your usage and recharge habits... but it does happen.

In that case..
XBOX360 -> buy a new recharge pack, use AA's, or use AA Recharges.
PS3 -> Send it in for repair, for what $ and time... or purchase an entirely new controller

2) Blue Tooth... resync... All depends on how easy it is to drop the unit into standby vs power off. and how much of a capacitor that PS3 has in it's power supply to handle quick brown outs (which happen all times of the day).

Also... to me depends on how this USB connects (front/back/side), and the easy of storing the thing... oh wait.. you need it for each of your controllers...

So from a "looks" point of view... If I had 4 PS3 controllers... I would need 4 USB cables on the unit? charging them?

Now if the PS3 is to be taken seriously as a BluRay "AV" component...
Looks have to take a serious consideration.

There is one thing I love about my XBOX360.
Control #1 sits right on top of the unit. When I want to play a quick game... I pick it up... hit the button and everything wakes up. Controlers #2, #3, #4 are all down in the cabinet, and the recharging dock is also in there.

From the pictures I have seen of PS3, that curved top,is not going to give me that option just to sit the controller there when the unit is not in use...
And from reading this about the USB cable, ect...

I really hope Sony wasn't dumb enough to not allow the controller to be charged from a standard USB hub... or where they "smart" enough to design and eventually sell some sort of "controller" recharge base.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)