New C/Ku LNBF to be released

Status
Please reply by conversation.
well mine just arrived

my first impressions out of the box
very light considering it is a c/ku lnb,so is the scalar ring
or maybe i am used to offset scalar ring same color as the other c band lnbf from dmsi.
the cap for the lnb very good 100% improvement,the throat fits the cone scalar ring perfectly, the electronics(box) it looks sealed unlike the 421 where you didnt see any sealant .the cover was different , you can see the white sealant,the cable for the diseqc switch i would replace it it looks cheap.
the dielectic plate is included and i noticed there are 2 places inside the throat of the lnbf where you can put it.
Of course there are no instructions included whatsoever not that i need any, but for some newbies .......we are here can't wait to test it tomorrow.

I'm having hard time finding the correct distance on my 1.2 dish. It seems that I get the best signal when LNBF is pushed back all the way with it's front edge barely aligned with the front of the lnbf holder (almost leaving no room to attach the scalar ring).

I will play with c-band later. On AMC3-ku I was getting 90% on Tip and about 60% on one of the PBS transponders.

spindoctor. What was your signal quality on ERT transponder on NSS806 before? I never had dialectric plate so this is the first time I am getting it on my 1.2 offset dish. I am getting 40-45% quality (on a Fortec receiver) and there is no problems with the picture.

I just got the LNBF today, and waisted no time getting it hooked up to the 6 foot dish.
The ASC-421 was actually doing a great job, but the addition of KU would be nice.
I hooked up the unit and put the dish on PAS9 and had trouble getting a signal with the switch, so I hooked the Coolsat directly to the LNBF.
I did a manual scan on the sat and had great signal strength on a couple of transponders, and switched back to the channel list.
I started to go down the list, but noticed lots of channels missing. It turned out to be all the verticals. I quickly put back the ASC-421 to make sure it was not the Coolsat but no it was working fine. Well bummer the unit will not switch to the vertical transponders.
Just for testing I put the C-KU back on the dish and did some test on Real Madrid soccer on PAS9, that is always a tough channel only 66 strength on the Coolsat, but perfectly watchable.
The new LNBF would only do 60-63 so breakups and clicking sound. I spend a lot of time making sure the unit was positioned correctly, I could not get a steady signal.
So not a good report I am sorry to say, I will return the unit for a replacement, and hope maybe the fact it cannot change to the vertical transponders somehow is affecting the signal strength also

What position do you have it in (skew)? I just removed my ASC-421 and installed the new C/KU LNBF and I noticed I had to rotate the LNB by 45º to get a signal.

Remember the KU side is a UNIVERSAL.

I was getting around 67% signal quality on ABCHD (C-Band) when I put on the new LNB it jumped to 70%

Last edited:
I never got to the KU part of the LNBF. But I will do a few more test in the morning, to make sure of the skew, the weather permitting:)

I have the skew mark at the 6 o'clock position, the ASC-421 was at 9 o'clock (When standing in front of dish)

Never hurts to listen to the experts.
After taking Petes advice, I spent more time today positioning the C-KU on the 6 foot dish.
Now getting 2-3 points more signal on all C transponders!!!
Also I stated some KU scans, there are channels on those sats I never knew was there!
This thing is amazing, thanks again Pete for your help.
Only one thing left to say: GET IT!

Glad to hear it! Never had much time to play with mine last night what with the hockey. Hoping for more time tonight :)

If you got yours on a Fortec 1.2 Meter Dish I would love to see a photo of it. :)

BTW Guess I have no need to get the Tube Now since one of my local stations started broadcasting it yesterday on one of their subchannels. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
If you got yours on a Fortec 1.2 Meter Dish I would love to see a photo of it. :)

BTW Guess I have no need to get the Tube Now since one of my local stations started broadcasting it yesterday on one of their subchannels. :)

Here's some pics:

Attachments

• IMG_4779.JPG
    IMG_4779.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_4781.JPG
    IMG_4781.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_4782.JPG
    IMG_4782.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_4783.JPG
    IMG_4783.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_4784.JPG
    IMG_4784.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_4785.JPG
    IMG_4785.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 178
Very cool thank you! I see you have the scaller ring on, I thought for offset use you needed to take it off. (At least someone told me that)

I would be interested in what your picking up on the C Band and KU band side of things.

Also look like I need some wireties as it appears the LNB does not fit in the holder correctly. :D

The scalar ring I have is not the one that came with the CKU lnbf. This is a cone shaped ring which is supposed to be better suited for offset dishes. I think you will need a scalar ring of some sort to get it work because without it it will not illuminate enough.

It is performing good on c-band side (considering the size of the dish). On ku side I am getting 50/50 results. On IA5 for example most globecast transponders come in at 70-80% while some others come in at <50% . My dish might be due to a realigning though. I haven't touched it since last summer.

All in all, for what I wanted it for (purely as a hobby and to play with) it is performing as good (if not little better) as I expected.

Where do I get one of these cone shaped rings?

And problems moving the Dish with the motor because of this LNB?

I wonder if I can attach another LNB to the right of this LNB and use that for KU and use the other LNB just for C Band.

This is an exciting project. :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
Also look like I need some wireties as it appears the LNB does not fit in the holder correctly. :D

I have the 65mm holder which fits the lnbf perfect. I lost the top part of the holder so I am using plastic ties :) I actually almost prefer it like that since it makes it easier to remove and adjust.

vj9999 said:
I have the 65mm holder which fits the lnbf perfect. I lost the top part of the holder so I am using plastic ties :) I actually almost prefer it like that since it makes it easier to remove and adjust.

Is that the holder that comes with the Dish? If not where would I find one of these? Sorry for a lot of questions but I know that if I want to know there are many more SatelliteGuys members who also want to know. :D

Thanks!

Scott Greczkowski said:
Where do I get one of these cone shaped rings?

And problems moving the Dish with the motor because of this LNB?

I wonder if I can attach another LNB to the right of this LNB and use that for KU and use the other LNB just for C Band.

This is an exciting project. :D

INfo on cone scalar is dug in somewhere in the middle of 120cm mini bud thread. I had to order a whole lnbf (from eye in the sky) and cone scalar came with it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.