new cities on 72.5 degree bird

Status
Please reply by conversation.

johninillinois

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 20, 2004
when my tivo was installed last weekend i was told they would be launching some new cities today by the installer. did this happen or was he just blowing some smoke at me . this morning i went to the directv web site and was unable to find a answer

as i have been waiting so patiently for our locals to become available and not sure what the hold up was completely. i am aware that the solar panels on one of the 72.5 did not open as planned and they were trying to open them and not sure what the final results were. as i know we all have been hearing the rumors for the last few months and would love to see it come to be finally :)

The satellite that was moved to 72.5 has been up for years, it's just been moved from 119. I don't see why the solar panels would have been closed to start with. I thought they were only closed to fit in the launch vehicle, opened after they got into orbit, and never closed again.

This is the email I got from a DirecTV rep awhile back:
----
Thanks for writing. In September 2001 we ordered a new satellite to carry your local channels. We expected it to be ready by October 2003.
Once a satellite is built, it takes 60 to 90 days to ship, prep, launch, and set it up once it's in space. That's why we first expected your local channels to be available "by end of 2003."

Last year, we finished all the other steps needed to bring you local channels--contracts with the local stations, building the infrastructure to transmit the stations' signals to the satellite, and got our operations team ready. Unfortunately, the company building the satellite had assembly delays of several months, but things were looking good for a launch in March 2004. However, in January, a similar satellite that already launched had some problems, so we had to do a few more quality checks before launching ours. As you can imagine, satellites are highly complex and, before we send them 22,300 miles out in space, we want to be sure they're going to be trouble-free.

The great news is that the new satellite successfully launched on May 4, 2004. It will take about a month to test the new satellite and get it ready to provide service. Please keep checking DIRECTV channel 999 and DIRECTV.com for the latest information on when locals will be available in your area.

I know the process of making locals available in your area has been frustrating, and we thank you for your continued patience. Be assured that we're doing everything we can to deliver your local channels as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Gautam
DIRECTV Customer Service
---

-Stan

stanswx,
That e-mail sounds like they're talking about the new satellite at 119 that DirecTV started putting locals on in June.

I may be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that Directv was moving an existing satellite from somewhere around 119 over to the 72.5 spot for the new locals.

jimisham said:
I may be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that Directv was moving an existing satellite from somewhere around 119 over to the 72.5 spot for the new locals.

True... They moved it... It's there and tested already.... Locals should have started rolling out today according to multiple distributors and a couple D* CSR's.

Casey

Nope. Unfortunately the rollout has been delayed with no info given to CSRs as to why or when it would actually begin. My only guess is further testing is needed for the equipment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts