New Directv Prices

Status
Please reply by conversation.
2 things, I have premier with HR24,R22,H24,D12, it looks like my bill goes up 5bucks and dvr 1$, so thats 6/month more, i have the hd/auto pay credit, so im hoping that stays, oh and 3 for mrv, this is getting crazy... just looking for someone to confirm that pricing,

2nd as a current comcast employee, i can 100% verify that our new gateways (btw i shudder to say the word 'our', so 'comcast gateways') do indeed block access to the ports required for DTV Internet connection. There is NO WAY AT ALL for the end user to allow this to my knowledge, and believe me I have looked, both for personal use, and on the job. If you get lucky with calling 1800xfinity you can have them put the gateway in bridge mode which supposedly kills wifi and routing functions of the gateway, making it just a modem with 4 ports that you would need to hook up to your own router (making it pointless to have this particular mta at all) and then all the streaming stuff works fine, I have also seen these cause problems with netflix devices. as in smart tvs. I personally swapped my arris 852 out for a 722 which is just your basic mta, 1 port, and use a netgear router till i figure out which router i wanna use or ddwrt or whatnot, but perhaps other cable companies are blocking this through their gateways as well. However good luck finding a tech with the technical know-how to figure any of that out.

as long as I get it (HD extra pack) for free every 3 months it dont bother me :)
If your current package changes into the "classic" grandfathered package, you may not be able to make those changes on-line. The currently, grandfathered packaged subs cannot make changes on-line.

ncted said:
They had a deal earlier this year where OTA customers only paid $9.99, and the deal is expected to come back again in 2012. That said, you'd probably be better off getting a used HD and paying $12.95 as the OTA tuner is supposed to work better.

-Ted

Or just build/buy a HTPC and pay no monthly fees

jackal24 said:

I couldnt figure out how to just add to my previous post with the iPhone app so sorry about the second post.

If you are looking at OTA only, a HTPC is definitely the way to go.

I even use my HTPC for D* connected to 2 H24s for dual tuner capability. This gives me much more capabilities than any prebuilt DVR on the market.

It does have much higher startup costs though, and the cost from D* is about the same (1 additional HD box vs. the DVR fee). So it is not recommended for many people. My system grew with me and now I can't get rid of the features of it (and more importantly, neither can the wife).

I considered it, but I deal with computers all day. The last thing I want to do is work on them when I get home. A couple of used Tivo HDs with HDD upgrades and an antenna is about as simple as I can get for $23/month.

-Ted

2nd as a current comcast employee, i can 100% verify that our new gateways (btw i shudder to say the word 'our', so 'comcast gateways') do indeed block access to the ports required for DTV Internet connection. There is NO WAY AT ALL for the end user to allow this to my knowledge, and believe me I have looked, both for personal use, and on the job. If you get lucky with calling 1800xfinity you can have them put the gateway in bridge mode which supposedly kills wifi and routing functions of the gateway, making it just a modem with 4 ports that you would need to hook up to your own router (making it pointless to have this particular mta at all) and then all the streaming stuff works fine, I have also seen these cause problems with netflix devices. as in smart tvs. I personally swapped my arris 852 out for a 722 which is just your basic mta, 1 port, and use a netgear router till i figure out which router i wanna use or ddwrt or whatnot, but perhaps other cable companies are blocking this through their gateways as well. However good luck finding a tech with the technical know-how to figure any of that out.
so that make renting them suck even more. Why rent when you can buy and get a better box with out paying $7+ /mo for ever.

The don't want to call it annual because they reserve the right to change the rates at any time.

DIRECTV is a company mired in differences between what they say and what they do. It is nice to see that the current Customer Agreement is pretty hollow on the subject of vacationing and tailgating. If you overlook something for too long, it loses its teeth anyway.

The don't want to call it annual because they reserve the right to change the rates at any time.

DIRECTV is a company mired in differences between what they say and what they do. It is nice to see that the current Customer Agreement is pretty hollow on the subject of vacationing and tailgating. If you overlook something for too long, it loses its teeth anyway.

So you have a problem with Vacationing and tailgating ?

No Directv will say they dont raise prices every year when they very clearly do. They dont want to appear to be money grubbing corporation, when they really are. #occupydtv

Okay. Let me first say that this is not official or anything, but I must wonder if the "Entertainment" package will include the following 75+ channels that are included in the Business Entertainment package (which happens to be $64.99/month with HD):

A&E HD
ABC Family HD
American Auction Network
American Movie Classics HD
Animal Planet HD
BBC America
BET HD
Bloomberg Television
Bravo HD
Cartoon Network (East) HD
Cartoon Network (West)
Country Music Television HD
Comedy Central HD
C-SPAN
Discovery Channel HD
E! Entertainment Television
Enlace
Food Network HD
Fox News Channel HD
Fuse
FX HD
Galavisión
GOD TV
GolTV HD
Great American Country
GSN: the network for games
HD Theater HD (only in HD)
HDNet HD (only in HD)
HGTV HD
History HD
HSN
Lifetime HD
Link TV
MSNBC HD
MTV HD
MTV2
National Geographic Channel HD
Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite (East) HD
Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite (West)
Nicktoons Network
NRB Network
Oprah Winfrey Network
Pursuit Channel
QVC
Spike TV HD
Syfy HD
TBS HD
TCT Network
TLC HD
TNT HD
Turner Classic Movies (TCM)
TV Land
USA Network HD
VH1 HD
Word Network
Plus in-market Regional Sports Networks HD

Again, this is just pure speculation. :)

Another interesting thing that I noticed at the bottom of the source page:
*Offers end 2/8/12; on approved credit. New commercial customers only. $19.95 Handling and Delivery fee required. To access DIRECTV HD programming, HD Access fee ($13.00/mo.) and HD equipment are required. Number of HD channels varies by package. No mirroring fee for only one receiver. Mirroring fee for first two receiver's $6.00/mo.; additional receiver mirroring fees $6.00/mo. each. *Local channels eligibility based on service address. Not all networks available in all markets. Additional $5.00/mo. credit for 12 months after signing up for Auto Bill Pay and with activation of the BUSINESS INFORMATION package or above.

Do businesses pay more for HD Access? I saw $13/month....:0) Hopefully, they do not do that to non-business subs...Also, don't new subs get HD for free now....seems a bit unfair to those subs who have been with D* for quite some time

[Source: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/business/business_viewing/packages]

Last edited:
interesting it includes the local RSN but not ESPN.

Business packages and pricing are always different than residential

\Also, don't new subs get HD for free now....seems a bit unfair to those subs who have been with D* for quite some time
go on auto pay and you can get free HD. Lots of us did

interesting it includes the local RSN but not ESPN.

Business packages and pricing are always different than residential

go on auto pay and you can get free HD. Lots of us did

According to Satelliteracer at dbstalk, the new entertainment package does include ESPN, so I don't think this is it.

Under 120 for all the channels aint bad at all. I have premiere so it isn't that much more for me.

Do businesses pay more for HD Access? I saw $13/month....:0) Hopefully, they do not do that to non-business subs...Also, don't new subs get HD for free now....seems a bit unfair to those subs who have been with D* for quite some time

I know around here (Altoona, PA) cable customers complained that our local cable company (Atlantic Broadband) wouldn't strike a deal with Big Ten Network. Because Atlantic BB wanted it in the digital package and Big Ten wanted it in the lower package. So they finally struck a deal in 2010 I think. So now they charge bars more money to carry the channel. (Which was stupid because now most bars in our area now have satellite dishes on the roof now.) So they charge business more then residential customers because of the public viewing. In some areas bars have to get a license from their local government to play audio on the tvs.

I know around here (Altoona, PA) cable customers complained that our local cable company (Atlantic Broadband) wouldn't strike a deal with Big Ten Network. Because Atlantic BB wanted it in the digital package and Big Ten wanted it in the lower package. So they finally struck a deal in 2010 I think. So now they charge bars more money to carry the channel. (Which was stupid because now most bars in our area now have satellite dishes on the roof now.) So they charge business more then residential customers because of the public viewing. In some areas bars have to get a license from their local government to play audio on the tvs.

Bars are required to have a Commercial account and they are billed according to the number of people allowed in the place.

Bars are required to have a Commercial account and they are billed according to the number of people allowed in the place.

Yeah Bars have there own account type and accounting codes. Because they play by completely separate rules then even commerical account with public viewing . Say like in a doctors office or say the lobby of a tire change place .

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts