New Dish 922 Spec Sheet

Dish needs to create a receiver that has the ATSC OTA tuner that can be switched to QAM and outputs QAM over TV2 for whole house distribution.

This would let them be able to record free QAM off your cable system or OTA HD and distribute ATSC/QAM plus satellite HD to the whole house.

Might even add a cable card port and watch TiVo burst a vein.

Of course Dish is a satellite company but they spun off the hardware to Echostar, so let them expand and truly put TiVo out of business for good.

I think sling may not be the right direction to go, you can only view one remote session over a sling connection, or am I mistaken?

According to the Fourth quarter DHA Agreement.

Fees and Payments: [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]You agree to pay monthly by the payment due date for the programming you select and for all applicable fees. State and local taxes and/or reimbursement charges may apply as set forth in the RCA. You have paid or you agree to pay the following one-time lease upgrade fees, if applicable: (A) $200 for the first ViP 922 receiver; (B) $100 for a second 522, 625 or ViP 612 receiver; (C) $150 for a second ViP 622 receiver; (D) $200 for a second ViP 722 or ViP 722k receiver; and (E) $400 for a second ViP 922 receiver. Other fees may apply as set forth in the RCA. All payments are non-refundable. All receivers selected by you within the first 30 days following initial activation of your account will be treated for all purposes, including without limitation, ownership and Unreturned Equipment Charges, as selected by you under this Agreement.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Charlie Chat says Feb 2010 release.

Followed a year later in Feb 2011 with one new HD channel. Sarcasm of course, but at the rate they're going, I wonder if we'll ever get any new National HD channels. Price hike yes, new HD, doubt it. Still, I would sure like to get one of these 922's. IF and only if they come out under $200.

Dish needs to create a receiver that has the ATSC OTA tuner that can be switched to QAM and outputs QAM over TV2 for whole house distribution.

This would let them be able to record free QAM off your cable system or OTA HD and distribute ATSC/QAM plus satellite HD to the whole house.

Content providers are opposed to this. It would allow putting their HD content on the internet in the clear.

How do you get the HD to TV2?

Its not practicle yet. Cheeper to put in a second hd box.
Run the cabling and charge appropriately for the work.
Just like any wiring company would do. If the runs require cutting of drywall, etc, then the custy pays for that also.
Of course you are spot on is stating it is cheaper to go with a second receiver. ANd of course not practical.

What he means is how do you actually distribute it to TV2 in a manner that is acceptable to the content owners (ie the movie and television studios). Obviously they are not going to allow Dish to output it freely over coax as they would lose all the benefits of HDCP. Without having another receiver at the other location that means running HD cable to another TV location. I don't know about you, but I don't see it being practical right now for an installer to run an HDMI cable from my Den to my upstairs bedroom TV (about 300 feet) through the wall...

300 feet?!!! How big is your house? 10,000 SF?

So what you're saying is you want to run HDMI to other rooms? Who is going to pay for HDMI cables that long? Dish? the customer? the installer? Even if your rooms are not too far apart you are talking at least 20' to run through the walls as I'm sure you don't want ugly HDMI cables running along your floorboards and under your doors. Are you going to pay extra to have the installer fish new HDMI cables through your wall instead of using the existing coax that is already installed?

That is the question. Will they pay.
I can see there being issues.
Custy has ordered this thing and has been told it can feed hd to BOTH tv's. Of course this sets in motion another issue. Did the salesperson tell the custy that "addtional charges may apply"?.
I am willing to bet the national debt of a small country that given the opportunity to leave out this very important detail in order to score a sale, the seller will indeed say nothing.
That leaves the tech in the unenviable position of having to explain this.
Oh sure.
At that point I put my office people on the phone with the custy so he/she can hear it from a second party.
Save for the built in Sing and the bigger hard drive, the 922 is not an impressive offering. JMHO

300 feet?!!! How big is your house? 10,000 SF?

It is decent size, but not huge. However, to run the line from my main receiver position to the place that I would want my TV2 HD in my upstairs master bedroom would require that amount of length to run it through the walls, possibly more...

It is decent size, but not huge. However, to run the line from my main receiver position to the place that I would want my TV2 HD in my upstairs master bedroom would require that amount of length to run it through the walls, possibly more...
Ok....I am in fairly decent shape. But I get tired just thinking abiut getting from one end of your house to the other. Whew!!!!!:-6

dishcomm- lakebum has a golf cart to make the trip. When your house is that big, that's what you have. He also has a golf cart recharging station at each end so he can make the trip back before the battery goes dead. :D

You can always use an HDMI splitter to split the signal to two TVs. Will only work if you live alone like I do, since I have no competition for what I watch! ;-)

HD on two TV... easy

Hello, new here but had to log in to make a suggestion. The 922 will Sling in HD at least locally on your LAN. I have a video card in my computer that has HDMI out since I have a Blue ray player built in. So I will have my computer in the bedroom with my 1080p 32" monitor (I have had it connected to 52" 1080p no prob) sling to it on the LAN and tada HD on TV2.

My understanding is the 922 will sling from the second tuner so no interference with TV1. Just not sure if the sling overrides timers but shouldn't be too much of an issue. There really shouldn't be any lag either assuming and Ethernet connected 922 has at least 10/100 Mbps throughput, so I can even use the TV2 remote.

Problem solved
:)

dishcomm- lakebum has a golf cart to make the trip. When your house is that big, that's what you have. He also has a golf cart recharging station at each end so he can make the trip back before the battery goes dead. :D

That's very funny..Ok Lakebum, your turn....LOL!!!!!

Hello, new here but had to log in to make a suggestion. The 922 will Sling in HD at least locally on your LAN. I have a video card in my computer that has HDMI out since I have a Blue ray player built in. So I will have my computer in the bedroom with my 1080p 32" monitor (I have had it connected to 52" 1080p no prob) sling to it on the LAN and tada HD on TV2.

My understanding is the 922 will sling from the second tuner so no interference with TV1. Just not sure if the sling overrides timers but shouldn't be too much of an issue. There really shouldn't be any lag either assuming and Ethernet connected 922 has at least 10/100 Mbps throughput, so I can even use the TV2 remote.

Problem solved
Nevrer thought of that. On the surface ,that looks like a good idea.
Users may choose tv 1 or tv 2 as the priority recording tuner.

Menu/preferences/record plus.....Brings up the recording priority screen

Problem solved

No HD via slingcatcher. Get a 722k

I'm still a bit disgruntled about no web browser. With the exception of sling and the new GUI it looks like a 722 and I already have one of those. Of course the 922 has a bigger HD but I can add one of those if needed.

Dish 612 vs Samsung PN4250B1D

Which stations on which satellite

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)