New dish customer Hate the User Interface

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
You are fascinated with small, shiny objects, aren't you? Admit it. :D
Only if they are freshly minted coins.

FYI: I'm one of the few looking at this in a rational way. The UI is antiquated, simplistic, and in the case of streaming VOD, downright dysfunctional. That is a fact.

To defend the UI, or worse belittle one who points out its ugly and simplistic appearance, because the device does what you feel it needs to do would be like defending the appearance of the Pontiac Aztec, or belittling the critics of it, because it has a lot of cargo space, drives well, and is affordable. It's still butt ugly and unpleasant to look at.

If folks like the functionality and/or stability of the Dish 622/722/k DVR's, that's fine. But, don't belittle a person for pointing out the out-dated, and in some cases horrible, interface. Are you gonna belittle a guy that doesn't like a furnished apt because it's filled with granny furniture covered with doilies just because the stove works and the bed is sturdy?

Of course, those who admit to the UI's antiquated appearance and occasional dysfunctionality, but choose to overlook it due to other positive factors, without belittling the critics, are a different story.

FYI: I'm one of the few looking at this in a rational way.
That struck me as funny, because I always saw this issue as an opinion, no one is right or wrong. What is wrong is saying that someone who doesn't place a lot of importance in it is irrational.

To defend the UI, or worse belittle one who points out its ugly and simplistic appearance, because the device does what you feel it needs to do would be like defending the appearance of the Pontiac Aztec, or belittling the critics of it, because it has a lot of cargo space, drives well, and is affordable. It's still butt ugly and unpleasant to look at.
As for the car analogy, you have options if you don't like the look of a car, or a television provider's UI: Switch to one that you like.

I have to agree about the user interface, but DTV isn't any better. I switched from the 922 to the HR34 recently and feel like i went backwards on the UI (but jumped ahead in many other areas). The 922 guide and settings interface is great. At least Dish has a new receiver coming out with the great UI.

Only if they are freshly minted coins.

FYI: I'm one of the few looking at this in a rational way. The UI is antiquated, simplistic, and in the case of streaming VOD, downright dysfunctional. That is a fact.

If folks like the functionality and/or stability of the Dish 622/722/k DVR's, that's fine. But, don't belittle a person for pointing out the out-dated, and in some cases horrible, interface. Are you gonna belittle a guy that doesn't like a furnished apt because it's filled with granny furniture covered with doilies just because the stove works and the bed is sturdy?

Of course, those who admit to the UI's antiquated appearance and occasional dysfunctionality, but choose to overlook it due to other positive factors, without belittling the critics, are a different story.
You started the belittling. "Don't dish it out if you can't take it" "One good turn deserves another"

And, you turned out to be correct. The Dish apologists are out in full force, it seems. They're almost as bad as Apple fanboys.

I didn't read every post. Were there any of the obligatory "don't let the door hit you in the ass" replies?
Enuff with the fan boy comments already. It's been pretty civil till you started this.

Last edited:
If somebody defends the Dish UI, they are at the very least a Dish apologist, and at worst a fanboy.
You may personally be willing to put up with the antiquated design. But, that does not mean that it isn't, in fact, antiquated.
Simply stated in a level-headed way.

As if Fanboy is cursing at someone. I do not now nor have I ever understood this fanboy thing. If your fan of anything so what?

Funny thing is as soon as Dish changed the UI. You get get as many "why didn't they just leave it alone", users as. Wow this is great! TIVO is a great interface. And when you change no it won't be the same. 922 and 722K are not THAT bad or different from each other. Really splitting hairs, IMO

I have had the 922 for 6 months. It's awesome. I had used a 222 receiver before, I know what the 722k interface is like. 922 is a huge step up, But wait for the Hopper. Don't trust Dish to mark your account for some special rebate, that won't happen (the rebate). Cancel, and get cable for a few months, the the Hop.

P.S. why do all the 722k users think the 922 sucks, but the Hopper will be awesome. Aren't you gonna use the same arguments with the Hopper? I can't press my special number combos that nobody knows about anymore!!! It's not reliable, it's buggy, Sling is built in, Sling's not built in, it doesn't begin with a 7, it doesn't end in a k, Joey's and Australian nick name. Seriously, things work differently for different people, UI is more important to some than you. I like my twice as big HDD as you, and using my spares in my server. I don't care if my HDD crashes and it is all gone and you have all your backups of Dr Who on an EHD. That's great for you. I like looking at the awesome UI and Guide on my 110" projector screen and not cringe at the pixels.

922 haters gonna hate.

I have had the 922 for 6 months. It's awesome. I had used a 222 receiver before, I know what the 722k interface is like. 922 is a huge step up, But wait for the Hopper. Don't trust Dish to mark your account for some special rebate, that won't happen (the rebate). Cancel, and get cable for a few months, the the Hop.

P.S. why do all the 722k users think the 922 sucks, but the Hopper will be awesome. Aren't you gonna use the same arguments with the Hopper? I can't press my special number combos that nobody knows about anymore!!! It's not reliable, it's buggy, Sling is built in, Sling's not built in, it doesn't begin with a 7, it doesn't end in a k, Joey's and Australian nick name. Seriously, things work differently for different people, UI is more important to some than you. I like my twice as big HDD as you, and using my spares in my server. I don't care if my HDD crashes and it is all gone and you have all your backups of Dr Who on an EHD. That's great for you. I like looking at the awesome UI and Guide on my 110" projector screen and not cringe at the pixels.

922 haters gonna hate.

You had me until the second paragraph. It's not a matter of the 922 sucking. It's a matter of the 922 not living up to the expectations that were set for it.

If DISH had actually focused on the 922, it would be a different story. Everyone that follows DISH can tell that the 722 gets a lot more DISH love than the 922. The only benefit it has is a prettier interface and a larger internal HDD. It was the last to get TV2 Home Distribution. It's much-touted Sling functionality can be accomplished on the 722, and even at that Sling itself is VERY buggy. 922 doesn't have BBMP, no interactive television, higher monthly fee, the list goes on. If you have a 922 and enjoy it, that's great, but most people recommend against the 922 for new users, even DISH themselves. Heck you even said to wait for Hopper, which is what pretty much everyone is saying.

This thread is about someone being upset because the 722 is not as pretty as the 922. Therefore of course 722 owners will be stating reasons why the 722 will work just as well, if not better, than the 922 despite the older interface.

This thread should be closed. Fanboys vs. Malcontents. Beyond absurd. (I'd rather be CALLED a fanboy).

Last edited:
Many people (I'm one of them) really care about good user interfaces for a consumer electronic device that they interact with frequently. I note that Apple now has the largest market cap of any tech company due to the care and attention they lavish on their device's user interfaces. They're clearly doing something right; their latest quarterly profit was more than Google's yearly revenue. BTW, lest some idiot call me an "Apple fanboy," (an infallible sign of a weak argument) let me say in advance that though I've been a Mac user since 1984, and own many Apple products, I'm also a professional tech writer with more than 40 books to my credit, and I'm equally fluent in writing about Windows and other operating systems. Some of my most profitable books use Windows screenshots for cross-platform products, because more of my readers use Windows.

I write professionally about UI, and for a DVR, the UI is way more than "just a way to tune in a channel," as I think was said above. A good UI is extremely important, for many reasons (don't believe me? Go look at RIM's fall because the BlackBerry still has a crappy interface). One of those reasons is customer satisfaction. The Comcast DVR I briefly had sported perhaps the worst DVR interface I've ever seen, and caused me to switch to Dish when I made the jump to HD.

The OP quite reasonably said that he was sold one thing and received another. That's a legitimate beef. He's an unhappy customer, and deserves to be supported in this community, not ridiculed.

After having owned the aforementioned Comcast DVR, a TiVo, multiple ReplayTVs, and a variety of PC-based DVR solutions, plus related devices like the AppleTV, and having used U-Verse and FiOS, I think I have more than enough experience to opine on DVR interfaces. Frankly, the 722 UI is merely a decent entry in a pretty weak field. It screams late 90's design sensibilities, and was obviously made for SD. Its VOD interface is god-awful. It requires too many key presses for simple functions. It hides useful features deep in menus. It's ridiculously slow. Still (and incredibly, given the widespread UI awareness from people who own iOS devices and other modern smartphone OS's), it's very stable and is the best of a fairly lame bunch. That's why I've stayed with Dish.

So if the OP was shown and was expecting a reasonably modern interface like the 922, and was surprised with the clunky 722 interface, he's entirely justified in his displeasure. Dish should make things right.

As for me, I'm more than looking forward to replacing my 722 and 221 with a Hopper and a Joey. A fast, modern UI is as important to me as the whole-home solution, and I'll be happy to get both in a single upgrade. Though I'll also admit that I'm going to let some of you folks try it out first and hear your reports. I'm happy as a clam that I skipped getting the 922.

Frankly, the 722 UI is merely a decent entry in a pretty weak field. It screams late 90's design sensibilities, and was obviously made for SD. Its VOD interface is god-awful. It requires too many key presses for simple functions. It hides useful features deep in menus. It's ridiculously slow. Still (and incredibly, given the widespread UI awareness from people who own iOS devices and other modern smartphone OS's), it's very stable and is the best of a fairly lame bunch.
The bait and switch that the OP experienced aside (and he does have a legitimate beef), that was the point that most people here in this thread had been making (give it a chance), but then got called fanboys for it.

You had me until the second paragraph. It's not a matter of the 922 sucking. It's a matter of the 922 not living up to the expectations that were set for it.

If DISH had actually focused on the 922, it would be a different story. Everyone that follows DISH can tell that the 722 gets a lot more DISH love than the 922. The only benefit it has is a prettier interface and a larger internal HDD. It was the last to get TV2 Home Distribution. It's much-touted Sling functionality can be accomplished on the 722, and even at that Sling itself is VERY buggy. 922 doesn't have BBMP, no interactive television, higher monthly fee, the list goes on. If you have a 922 and enjoy it, that's great, but most people recommend against the 922 for new users, even DISH themselves. Heck you even said to wait for Hopper, which is what pretty much everyone is saying.

This thread is about someone being upset because the 722 is not as pretty as the 922. Therefore of course 722 owners will be stating reasons why the 722 will work just as well, if not better, than the 922 despite the older interface.
Well that makes sense. I had far less expectations for the 922 because I got it after all the stuff had been fixed. But people are still holding grudges against a receiver for getting features late and being buggy. The scoff at the 922 because it had flaws two years ago and made their 722s look fine. The "current" has features the 722s don't and vice versa, it all matters what is most important to the end user.

I still don't know why everyone is crowning the Hopper when the 922 had so many issues out of the gate. There's no price info, monthly pricing, or list of full features. And the UI looks to be identical to the flawed 922? Maybe it will come out of the gate with flying colors and be fully supported by Dish. I hope so. And I'll cry myself to sleep knowing Dish will give me one in two years or $500. :(

Well, I don't think anyone is crowning the Hopper just yet. As you said, there are many unknown variables that can determine Hopper/Joey's success/failure. The primary factor would be pricing. If the fees are ridiculous (and I wouldn't be surprised if they are,) then it will flop. If it's buggy and barely supported, it will flop. If it can't do what is expected of it reasonably fast with no hiccups/glitches, it will flop. We'll just have to see how it goes.

Agree no one is crowning the box yet. I am "excited" (not sure thats the right word) because whole home would offer some value for me, and I believe Hopper is the next real generation of Dish equipment. Hopper may in fact push me to change because it will be time to reevaluate. We will know that both D* and E* will have to offer for the next 3-5 years. I doubt we will see anything more than an incremental upgrade over Hopper or HR34 in that time frame. If Direc wins for my needs then I switch, if not I stay with Dish.

A lot about Hopper's long term viability will be answered the day Hopper ships. If (as expected) it really is the new standard install, Dish will get whatever kinks may exist worked out. Despite all the 922 issues, Dish's main stream boxes have all ended up being pretty solid. If promoted as a "high end" or niche solution, then I would proceed very carefully.

Many people (I'm one of them) really care about good user interfaces for a consumer electronic device that they interact with frequently. I note that Apple now has the largest market cap of any tech company due to the care and attention they lavish on their device's user interfaces. They're clearly doing something right; their latest quarterly profit was more than Google's yearly revenue. BTW, lest some idiot call me an "Apple fanboy," (an infallible sign of a weak argument) let me say in advance that though I've been a Mac user since 1984, and own many Apple products, I'm also a professional tech writer with more than 40 books to my credit, and I'm equally fluent in writing about Windows and other operating systems. Some of my most profitable books use Windows screenshots for cross-platform products, because more of my readers use Windows.

I write professionally about UI, and for a DVR, the UI is way more than "just a way to tune in a channel," as I think was said above. A good UI is extremely important, for many reasons (don't believe me? Go look at RIM's fall because the BlackBerry still has a crappy interface). One of those reasons is customer satisfaction. The Comcast DVR I briefly had sported perhaps the worst DVR interface I've ever seen, and caused me to switch to Dish when I made the jump to HD.

The OP quite reasonably said that he was sold one thing and received another. That's a legitimate beef. He's an unhappy customer, and deserves to be supported in this community, not ridiculed.

After having owned the aforementioned Comcast DVR, a TiVo, multiple ReplayTVs, and a variety of PC-based DVR solutions, plus related devices like the AppleTV, and having used U-Verse and FiOS, I think I have more than enough experience to opine on DVR interfaces. Frankly, the 722 UI is merely a decent entry in a pretty weak field. It screams late 90's design sensibilities, and was obviously made for SD. Its VOD interface is god-awful. It requires too many key presses for simple functions. It hides useful features deep in menus. It's ridiculously slow. Still (and incredibly, given the widespread UI awareness from people who own iOS devices and other modern smartphone OS's), it's very stable and is the best of a fairly lame bunch. That's why I've stayed with Dish.

So if the OP was shown and was expecting a reasonably modern interface like the 922, and was surprised with the clunky 722 interface, he's entirely justified in his displeasure. Dish should make things right.

As for me, I'm more than looking forward to replacing my 722 and 221 with a Hopper and a Joey. A fast, modern UI is as important to me as the whole-home solution, and I'll be happy to get both in a single upgrade. Though I'll also admit that I'm going to let some of you folks try it out first and hear your reports. I'm happy as a clam that I skipped getting the 922.

That's all nice and all, but BS to me I'm afraid. I want channel choice in HD, a reliable signal good audio and a reasonably easy UI. A nice looking UI is great, but one of the last things on my list of what makes watching TV enjoyable. And I really don't have a problem with the present UI by the way. It's always nice to get a refreshed look, but it's only that - nice. Even the horrendous UI for the Blockbuster streaming isn't enough to make want to switch, and that's what we are talking about here, switching over it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)