Attachments

• 000_0051.jpg
    000_0051.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 570
  • 000_0052.jpg
    000_0052.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 500
Puerto Rico Dish 500PR

New dish for Puerto Rico. Again, I found this in the Tech Portal. Please remove if it's confidential information.

Attachments

• PuertoRicoExpansionPhase2-2.pdf
    332.3 KB · Views: 686
I know somebody that uses a 1.2m dish for PR in order to get DN. How is it that this 30" will get the signal when they need at least one meter for each bird (119/110) .. Interesting

I know somebody that uses a 1.2m dish for PR in order to get DN. How is it that this 30" will get the signal when they need at least one meter for each bird (119/110) .. Interesting

That used to be the case before, but this month of May 2010 everything changed!

Last year 2009, Dish Network sent Echostar 10 for the 110 degrees orbital location. This satellite was modified to provide more signal strength to the entire US including Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. Older Dish Network satellites didn't accomplished that type of coverage.

A satellite with strong signal strength was still necessary for the 119 degrees orbital location in order to provide Dish500 service to Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands with a small dish.

This new modified satellite to cover Puerto Rico/USVI started working last week (May 2010) called Echostar 14 and currently Dish is in the process of configuring or setting up the new satellite. Many channels you are receiving right now are being broadcast from this new satellite since last week, but there is more work to be done.

This satellite transition is scheduled for June, when the new smaller dish is scheduled to begin selling. Customers with bigger (old dishes) will experience stronger than normal signal levels. This means that, if you already have a big dish (1.2m or 4 feet), there is no need to replace your current dish. You will only experience less rainfade, result of the stronger signal and more HD channels, probably this next month.

The entire process will be transparent to current customers.

There is more technical information on other threads inside satelliteguys.us where you can stay up-to-date with the EchoStar 14 transition that is happening right now.

I also saw one member who had a big dish pointed at 119 in PR. After the transition of the CONUS to 119 (all are done now except for TP 2 but that one doesn't have any channels on it anyways), he was getting 125 on the meter on some transponders. He indicated some channels were breaking up. I suspect he had too big of a dish and was over driving the receiver.

I still have one of my 6 footers poitiing to the 110 location. What can I say, I bought a long time ago and is already on my roof.

Wednesday and Thursday there was a Conference here on the island for installer and Retailers regarding all the new stuff that starts on June 3. The most important now and this was mentioned previously is the fact that DHA now apply to PR. Now existing customers can upgrade their old receivers using the DHA.

Anyway great Conference, and great news for us Retailers as now we finally have all the same offers as the Continental US.

Edit:

Our HD has been Mpeg4 for a long time now, we get them from the 110 location...

And all our new costomers have to be Mpeg4, this has been around since they required it on the Cont. US. Mpeg4 = more channels per transponder..

Last edited:
So they are converting completely over to 8PSK in June? That means all 301 receivers will also be useless if that is the case.

I dont think using DishPro setup has anything to do with 8PSK?.What they will do from June as I understand is all new subs will get the single small dish solution (119& 110) plus all the receivers will be VIPs....& they will get HD channels anyway since Dish new promotion is free HD for Life....so subs will get HD channels also.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)