NEW DVR Features

milan2

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
For those that care & don't continually bash Cablevisions DVR.

There are some new features:

Bookmarks positions for ALL recordings. No more watching one program then if you stop in the middle your position would be cleared when you start a new program.

DVR programs now give program info instead of it just displaying a blank IO DVR info.

Well, for starters they haven't given us the update as of yet, in Dutchess County. Secondly, while it's a nice addition, it's the furthest thing on my mind when I think of what Cablevision can give us. The 8300HD converter is a piece of garbage. Slow channel changes, constant freezing when bringing up the program guide, no picture or playing when selecting a recorded program, and sometimes a 15-20 minute reboot. Their HD picture break ups make viewing programs almost UNWATCHABLE!!!! Have you ever tried watching HGTVHD?? I watch several programs on that channel and it's actually criminal, to call that HD!!! And before anyone tells me to switch providers...I can't right now. I may be moving soon, and will pay my last Cablevision bill when I do move. Ahhhh...I feel better now, especially that the Rangers finally scored!

Wow I just moved and switched from Time Warner to Cablevision.... Cablevisions DVR sucks compared to Time Warner... and its the same box!

Obviously the software from Cablevision is quite inferior to other providers. Search by name and recording priorities are two features which seem to not exist on Cablevision. Am I mistaken?

No your not mistaken. There is no search, and you can't customize the guide. They are the pits when it comes to their software.

The 8300HD converter is a piece of garbage. Slow channel changes, constant freezing when bringing up the program guide, no picture or playing when selecting a recorded program, and sometimes a 15-20 minute reboot. Their HD picture break ups make viewing programs almost UNWATCHABLE!!!!

Wow, I have none of those issues with mine. Sounds like you have issues not related to the box.

The new DVR update went live @ the Norwalk,CT. system this morning around 1:30 am... I had turn off the box for the night & then about five mins. later the box showed "boot" after its updates the added info was there. & in other news it seems that CV will have 2 free 700s channels(700 &701) since HD on demand is now shown on ch.500 & MOJO will no longer be in service after Dec. 1st . maybe we'll get MGM HD & another NATIONAL HD channel to take their place:):cool:

Wow, I have none of those issues with mine. Sounds like you have issues not related to the box.

Wrong Remy! It happens on BOTH boxes I have...HD & SD...it happened on the HD box I had at my previous residence and it happens at my parents house on their HD box. I think it's safe to say it IS a box issue!! And from reading previous posts on here, I know I'm not the only one.

Wrong Remy! It happens on BOTH boxes I have...HD & SD...it happened on the HD box I had at my previous residence and it happens at my parents house on their HD box. I think it's safe to say it IS a box issue!! And from reading previous posts on here, I know I'm not the only one.

Sounds like a signal issue and not a box problem. (since both boxes are effected)

I experience none of your issues.

There is nothing wrong with my signal, it's been tested several times...is it just coincidence that this problem happens in 3 locations? How does the signal effect the program guide issue? Perhaps it does, just doesn't seem logical to me.

Well, for starters they haven't given us the update as of yet, in Dutchess County. Secondly, while it's a nice addition, it's the furthest thing on my mind when I think of what Cablevision can give us. The 8300HD converter is a piece of garbage. Slow channel changes, constant freezing when bringing up the program guide, no picture or playing when selecting a recorded program, and sometimes a 15-20 minute reboot. Their HD picture break ups make viewing programs almost UNWATCHABLE!!!! Have you ever tried watching HGTVHD?? I watch several programs on that channel and it's actually criminal, to call that HD!!! And before anyone tells me to switch providers...I can't right now. I may be moving soon, and will pay my last Cablevision bill when I do move. Ahhhh...I feel better now, especially that the Rangers finally scored!

Well lets see... I have 2 8300 HD DVR Boxes. And 2 regular HD Boxes.

My neighbor has 1 8300 HD DVR. My other neighbor has 2 regular HD Boxes. My other neighbor has 2 8300 HD DVR's. My relatives in separate households own a combined 5 8300 HD DVR Boxes.

And all of them including myself. NEVER had the issues that your having.

Guess you just have bad luck. I have had my 8300 HD DVR for over a year and a half. And I constintly use it EVERYDAY. Recording & Playing and normal watching TV use. And have NEVER had the program not start when I pressed Play. NEVER.

Try switching out your box or get verizon or move. But I don't understand the Cablevision bashing.

You just stated it happened with your SD box. Guess what? ITS NOT A BOX ISSUE. I owned a 4 SD boxes for over 4 years with ZERO problems. ZERO

You must live in a horrible section. Weak lines.

Oh well.....

Yes I did state that. Tells me the product is not that good.
What do weak lines have to do with the problems I have with the cable box? Weak lines contribute to slow channel changes??? Weak lines contribute to to a blank screen when selecting a program from my DVR? Weak lines contribute to very slow reboot times?? I truly doubt it. As for my picture break ups, THAT is Cablevision and I'm fairly certain it is the SAME thing everyone complains about. If you switch to HGTVHD and tell me the your picture is as good as or better than, let's say CBSHD or MSGHD, I'm not gonna believe you. Let me clarify my original post...I stand by my assertion that the 8300HD & whatever the SD version is, are both outdated pieces of electronics. Their (meaning Cablevision) HD is extremely poor(overall). Some channels are great(CBSHD, MSGHD, SNYHD, YESHD), some are good and some really shouldn't be called HD. I don't see how you can contest that.

Last edited:
Some channels are great(CBSHD, MSGHD, SNYHD, YESHD), some are good and some really shouldn't be called HD. I don't see how you can contest that.
Newsflash. Not all channels are in true HD.

Newsflash just because its on a HD channel doesn't mean its in HD.

Newsflash you have been complaining for nothing. You really don't understand how HD works. Its the signal from the network. Not Cablevision.

Newsflash. Not all channels are in true HD.

Newsflash just because its on a HD channel doesn't mean its in HD.

Newsflash you have been complaining for nothing. You really don't understand how HD works. Its the signal from the network. Not Cablevision.

Newsflash - Cablevision compresses the hell out of most of their HD channels reducing their bandwidth by 50% which destroys the quality of the HD channel. (i.e. all Voom Channels, MOJO, VSHD, NGHD, DiscoveryHD, TBSHD, TNTHD, etc...)

Newsflash - Cablevision compresses the hell out of most of their HD channels reducing their bandwidth by 50% which destroys the quality of the HD channel. (i.e. all Voom Channels, MOJO, VSHD, NGHD, DiscoveryHD, TBSHD, TNTHD, etc...)
Compresses 50% ?

Link? Proof?

I don't know about you, but my Voom Channel are gorgeous. All the pay channels are just as beautiful. Just a COUPLE of channels are not up to snuff. Still look great compared to the SD channel, but not perfect. I can live with it considering they are the network isn't really top notch HD to begin with.

Newsflash: OLD Law & Order episodes are not all of sudden in HD. Its not about compression. Your telling me that because CW & MY9 don't look as good as NBC its because of compression? Its just not true. Its what the network is pumping out. So what your telling me is that 20 HD channels in a row from TRUE HD Networks then you come upon something like TBS, and your watching an old episode of Family Matters, and it dosen't look that great as the other channels you wanna blame Cablevision? You really don't understand the workings of TV.

Is amazing what people complain about. Four years ago you people were watching TV on a 20 inch RCA. Now you want the world. You really don't get how HD works. Thats right , blame Cablevision. They are a ton of things that are the reason your screen looks subpar BEFORE YOU BLAME CABLEVISION. Ever think that your TV sucks?

Bottom line:

I have a great TV.
I have great CLEAR service.
I have had NO problems with my boxes.

I'm happy.

while i agree the dvr 8300 hd sucks big squirrel nuts, i can tell you from headend knowledge that for every frequency there are 2 hd channels put into the bandwidth. There are however a few exceptions, TBS HD is one channel that has 3 maybe 4 channels in their respective frequency......however, the ONLY reason for this is that most of the programming TBSHD sends cablevision is not in HD, and your tv needs to format it, same holds true for other channels like HGTVHD, etc. The poor picture quality has little to do with cablevision and mostly lies fault in these respective channels feed to CV.
As for slow interactive features, you first need to find out if your box has an ip address....(reply for instructions on how to access this if you dont know). If your box does have an ip, pull out the card and see if it has any burn marks on the reverse side of the chip, if you pass all of the above diagnostics, you may need a box swap, components do fail over time, as im sure you know.
As for slow channel changing, see the first sentence of this reply.
I have to say that all of these problems are so minor I cant see myself getting mad at CV for them, my picture pixelates more than normal, I know what the problem is, I just dont pay it much mind, bc i dont get mad at the petty sh*t, CV offers a good service for the price, and if your complaining now, wait til you get your first fios bill when you switch, I switched right back to CV after I got it. To put it simply, the grass is definetley not greener on the other side. The picture with fios is better, but poor customer service, expensive bills, and an internet that is so lagged with problems it made CV look iconic made me come crawling back to CV, and they welcomed me back with open arms and a 2 year promotion package.

i can tell you from headend knowledge that for every frequency there are 2 hd channels put into the bandwidth. There are however a few exceptions, TBS HD is one channel that has 3 maybe 4 channels in their respective frequency......however, the ONLY reason for this is that most of the programming TBSHD sends cablevision is not in HD, and your tv needs to format it, same holds true for other channels like HGTVHD, etc. The poor picture quality has little to do with cablevision and mostly lies fault in these respective channels feed to CV.

Re: Cablevision to add 15 more HD Channels in August - dslreports.com

Care to explain this list then?

Compresses 50% ?

Link? Proof?

I'm happy.

I don't need a link. The proof is right in the SA8300. If you look at the QAM channel assignments you will see that MOST QAM frequencies have 4 HD channels assigned to them.

In order to squeeze that much into these QAMs you need to compress the bandwidth, in some cases from 18Mbs to 9Mbs (50% reduction).

The only channels that are not compressed, as far as I can tell, are the broadcast channels, the local RSNs & ESPN(1 & 2).

All others are compressed to varying degrees.

I also know the difference between true HD and upconversion so you can get off your high horse. I've had CV's HD offering since the beginning and the quality has greatly diminished from then. Back then all the channels looked amazing. But as the bandwidth requirements for adding all these new channels increased, so did compression (not from the provider, but by Cablevision).

I'm glad your happy, most people aren't. Maybe your watching a much smaller TV, I don't know. Most others have a different experience than you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)