New Guide UI now rolling out (plus HDR support!)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Looks like RedH is down this morning but it should be in the stream till 7 AM, one tip for anyone who updates blindly when RedH is down. You can stop the update before 90% has downloaded without doing any harm. So if you force and see the firmware is not what you want you can just reboot and you will still be on the current version. I have heard another HR54 user say the same thing with the RC73 remote, that the force didn't work, I also suggested to that person to try an older DTV remote. I personally have the HR54 with the RC73 and it works fine, so there must be some set of boxes that have a different bootstrap where it doesn't support the RF. Has anyone tried to set the remote to IR then force? I am also hearing lots of folks getting the push last night into this morning, so DTV is stepping up the rollout.

I forced it this morning with the old remote and got the update with no problems. Hadn’t had much time to check it out but seemed to be fast and no lag. Love the icons in the guide. Just have to get use to the menu and recorded list.

Reactions: JoshC and Jimbo
You wouldn't want to try to force a d/l now anyway unless you wish to rollback to the old UI guide since 0x1036 is not spooling out in the stream right now. But during the early morning hours between approx. 2-7 AM EST.

But what do you mean that you can't get the HR44 to force d/l?

Are you trying to use the Genie remote during the procedure? Be advised that some boxes (like my HR54) are a little strange and don't work well or at all with the FW update method over RF from the Genie remote.

You have to use IR from the earlier black and white DIRECTV remote to get the Genie to respond to the "0-2-4-6-8" on bootup.
My RC73 works fine using RF on my HR54

Reactions: JoshC
My RC73 works fine using RF on my HR54
Same here, it does appear that a small number of HR54's have this issue with the RC73 remote, not sure if one changes the remote to IR form RF temporarily fixes the issue. I have seen a few posts saying that they had to pull out an older remote to force the update. Would love to know if changing it to IR makes it work but I am not having the issue so I can't test.

Can someone explain by what ive read about the series recording problem that’s been talked about on here with the new UI, not sure where it was explained, but curious, thanks. I haven’t noticed anything with recording shows

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Can someone explain by what ive read about the series recording problem that’s been talked about on here with the new UI, not sure where it was explained, but curious, thanks. I haven’t noticed anything with recording shows
Well it might not be a problem vs an annoyance in one part and the other part it could be a problem.

The way it's working is that when you select to record a program it will record that program across other channels. So take for example Big Bang Theory, if you set to record it on CBS and do not set record first run only, what you will see that it records across all channels that the program is shown on. So it will record WOR, TBS, CBS and so on.

Second which can be considered an issue but I have not experienced it. The DRV will record from a channel you are not entitled to. So if BBT is shown on East coast and you are on the West coast the DVR tries to record a channel you do not have since it's actually shown first there. Again I have not seen this issue but some have reported it, not sure if they reported it on 0X1036 or 0X1003 or earlier.

Reactions: JoshC
It even does it when you select to record "First run" on many shows. Basically, you can't set a show to record on one channel anymore. All recordings default to "all channels." If you record Big Bang Theory on CBS, it will record there just fine. It will also record every single episode on every single channel if there is no S/E info for a specific episode. You won't notice it right away - any old recordings you had from the old guide will stay as "this channel only". Only new timers you set up on the new interface will have the "all channels" default. The only work around is to use the guide on the app or online.

For those of us who do the proper CE testing, several months ago there was a glitch that caused ALL of our timers to go away so we had to start over from scratch, that is when it really became noticeable, but this is been a thing since the intoduction of the new interface. It's extremely annoying and I have cancelled series I only sort-of cared about over it.

Reactions: Techiefan
It even does it when you select to record "First run" on many shows. Basically, you can't set a show to record on one channel anymore. All recordings default to "all channels." If you record Big Bang Theory on CBS, it will record there just fine. It will also record every single episode on every single channel if there is no S/E info for a specific episode. You won't notice it right away - any old recordings you had from the old guide will stay as "this channel only". Only new timers you set up on the new interface will have the "all channels" default. The only work around is to use the guide on the app or online.

For those of us who do the proper CE testing, several months ago there was a glitch that caused ALL of our timers to go away so we had to start over from scratch, that is when it really became noticeable, but this is been a thing since the intoduction of the new interface. It's extremely annoying and I have cancelled series I only sort-of cared about over it.
Recordings as well for most.

Interestingly I happened to look at the Manage Recordings the other day and my NCIS showed like 45 Recordings up coming .... Its on USA or Oxygen (reruns) as well as CBS (Originals).

I said, oh well, I'll start Deleting when I get a chance ...
After looking at this thread, I remembered to look at it ....
It Recorded Correctly, just the first run ....

Keep in mind that this was set up well before the new GUI.

Interestingly I happened to look at the Manage Recordings the other day and my NCIS showed like 45 Recordings up coming .... Its on USA or Oxygen (reruns) as well as CBS (Originals).

Good thing to know as I didn't realize that if it was set prior it would continue correctly going forward. I haven't noice any program I set for first run going rouge expect for one or two which maybe I added later but have to think about that. I want to say that a majority of the newer shows are on one channel anyway. It's the syndicated shows that become the bigger problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: whitewolf8214
This kind of mess is why I never do series recordings. I like to go through the guide each day and decide what to record in the next 24 hours. I know that is not convenient for many people and series recording should work properly but it was even worse when I was with D* and unbearable when I was OTA only on Tivo. One of my shortcomings would be a low tolerance for frustration and I just try to avoid it when possible.

1036 just automatically downloaded to my HS17. It's a slight improvement to what I had in 1001.

Loving the user experience. Hoping the occasional unchecking of the 4k TV resolution is fixed!

1036 just automatically downloaded to my HS17. It's a slight improvement to what I had in 1001.

Loving the user experience. Hoping the occasional unchecking of the 4k TV resolution is fixed!
So far I have not seen it happen again, so it's working perfect for me.

After about two weeks I can say on 0X1036 the service is much more stable, I am getting used to the new GUI too, just need font sized increased but I think that will not be coming anytime soon.

Doesn't the new update still have choose first run recording only?

In case anyone is thinking about adding more recording space I found today Best Buy has for on sale WD 4TB drive for $89 plus $25 for the external eSATA case, cheapest I have seen it around. So I upgraded today and put together this video to show the process step by step incase anything is thinking about it. I also demoed what happens when you remove the drive when it's active as well as a few other things.

In case anyone is thinking about adding more recording space I found today Best Buy has for on sale WD 4TB drive for $89 plus $25 for the external eSATA case, cheapest I have seen it around. So I upgraded today and put together this video to show the process step by step incase anything is thinking about it. I also demoed what happens when you remove the drive when it's active as well as a few other things.

You have a twin named Satboy that did something very similar!

Status
Please reply by conversation.