New HD DVR from D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

baurecomm

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2005
Is the new HD DVR available in stores to buy? what is the new model number? I
rather buy it if it's available for sale. Thanks.

I would place my money on Fall if not winter of 2006. Heck, I might even hedge that this thing only gets released in small quantaties in 2006.

Seeing as its going to be non-Tivo and will be the HD big-brother to the R15, I sure hope they work the bugs and kinks out of it before they release it.

If 70 percent of households have the ability to get mpeg 4 hd locals and can't record them at all by the end of the year, I bet we will be willing to put up with a few bugs.

I can assure... it is definently not VAPORWARE...

Not released yes... but it definently exists, and we will see it ...

If you check out the last DirecTV Investors presentation, the HR20 is one of the 4 key products for DirecTV's next generation of recievers.

It's Vaporware.

The distance between D's talking about new equipment and developments and actually putting it in the hands of consumers is frequently years, and never on whatever schedule they originally announce. I saw the mockup of the HR10-250 at CES a year and four months before I actually had one. It was supposed to have been available a year earlier than it actually was, and that original schedule came from D*'s own CES folks, not the breathless rumor mill of the internet.

If you trade them a cow for their magic beans mpeg 4 HD DVR, however, you might grow a beanstalk high enough to mount an antenna which gives you HD locals you already have for free, and you can already record them on your HR10-250 and at full local broadcast resolution, not HD Lite. You do not need D*s vaporware to do that, thankfully.

In the military we'd have just said, "Another D* announcement? BFD."

How can people be continually so sucked into high drama anticipation by rumors and empty promises from D*? D* does not need White Knight defenders on the internet, it needs product development people who can make things happen.

Last edited:
ebonovic said:

If you check out the last DirecTV Investors presentation, the HR20 is one of the 4 key products for DirecTV's next generation of recievers.

Wow. Ebonovic. You were the king on tivocommunity. Good to see you posting here. Cant wait to see your review of the new DVR. Always trusted your opinions.

Happy Camper said:
It's Vaporware.

The distance between D's talking about new equipment and developments and actually putting it in the hands of consumers is frequently years, and never on whatever schedule they originally announce. I saw the mockup of the HR10-250 at CES a year and four months before I actually had one. It was supposed to have been available a year earlier than it actually was, and that original schedule came from D*'s own CES folks, not the breathless rumor mill of the internet.

If you trade them a cow for their magic beans mpeg 4 HD DVR, however, you might grow a beanstalk high enough to mount an antenna which gives you HD locals you already have for free, and you can already record them on your HR10-250 and at full local broadcast resolution, not HD Lite. You do not need D*s vaporware to do that, thankfully.

In the military we'd have just said, "Another D* announcement? BFD."

How can people be continually so sucked into high drama anticipation by rumors and empty promises from D*? D* does not need White Knight defenders on the internet, it needs product development people who can make things happen.

I can definately feel your pain. They have done an aweful job of delivering on time, keeping the consumer informed, and providing good timelines. Its been a bunch of smoke and mirrors. However the new DVR is not vaporware. Its real. Has to be. If they dont produce this unit they are in big F'n trouble. They are just doing an absolutely lousy job of consumer communication and on time delivery.

The technology is there to allow consumers to convert mpeg 4 into mpeg 2 before viewing it or recording it, if they don't at least do this they are in serious trouble.

ebonovic said:

So is the delay because they are trying to figure out how to do HD, or are they trying to release a bug free HD R15?:eek: :devil:

New HD DVR

I read somewhere recently that D* is already offering an HD DVR for lease, I wonder if this is the same as Tivo, if it is, is it for sale?

I like D* don't get me wrong, but I don't think they will get allot of people to lease the new H20-250 since anyone that gets their OTA now SURE won't want a satellite feed of worst quality and have to Pay for it.

lou_do said:
For a review and photos of the HR20-250, from this years CES go here: http://gear.ign.com/articles/679/679224p1.html

So what?

When I first saw the HR10-250 at CES, it was the second week in January-when I got one of the first ones delivered to the DFW area, it was mid APRIL OF THE FOLLOWING YEAR, a year and three months later, and about a year after the D* guy at CES told me they planned to introduce it. Not saying they will not do better with this one, only that the breathless anticipation and White Knight defense of D* are misplaced, at least misplaced based upon their dismal record of hardware introduction and satellite additions.

Brewer 4 got it quite right above.

Vaporware with pictures is still Vaporware, LOL. We looked at pictures of the HR10-250 for FIFTEEN MONTHS before we could actually put our hands on one to use at home. By this measure, I'll start considering the new box in April of 2007, or maybe a year later in 2008 when they get the bugs worked out of the first one.

Last edited:
Happy Camper - your skeptcism is well placed, but your comparison needs work...

You're discouting the financial implications of delaying the HD Tivo back then vs the HR20 now.

HD was comparitvely niche back then. DVR's somewhat as well, but not nearly as much. HD certainly isn't now, especially given the number of birds (and their cost!) that have gone up with this stated purpose. D* needs a return on investment, and the sooner, the better.

I still bet we see numbers of HR20's this fall, bugs and all.

hancox said:
You're discouting the financial implications of delaying the HD Tivo back then vs the HR20 now.
I agree. D* wants to replace your cable company. In most major markets, the local cableco's have HD locals AND a HD DVR. Until D* has a HD DVR, the fact that they can deliver HD locals will appeal only to those who can't get the signal OTA.

That means a whole segment of their target customers won't be interested in what they have to offer. The need an HD DVR if they want to compete.

Good points, everyone, but for those of us who can get HD locals via antenna, we already can record HD Locals AND we can record the national HD network feeds.

D* ALREADY has an HD DVR. It is valuable to those who can get HD locals on their antenna, and those who want to record national feed HD network programming on D*'s national feeds. I agree that MPEG 4 locals in HD for the people who cannot get now get them or record them is cool, but it's not like this is some revolutionary new product-everyone does it except D* now, and a good portion of D*'s market gains nothing. I'm all for D* to be driven to development speed by market conditions, but my view is "Fool me twice, shame on me."

I see no reason whatsoever to believe that D* will not continue to do what they've always done-stun us by how inept they are.

Market conditions should have motivated D* to stay ahead of the game instead of catching up, so why should market conditions spur them on now? A buffoon usually stays that way, even if you give him a reason not to be, don't you think?

I love my HR10-250 and will have no reason to change until I can't get an MPEG 2 transmission anymore. By then, Verizon FIOS will be here and I will no longer need D*, so I'm guessing I'll never have the new DVR. Even if it were available now, it would not give me anything we do not already have. There are many like me. If you already have an HR10-250 and live in a metropolitan area, you are not getting anything by paying more money and upping your commitment.

Overall, we are fairly o.k. with all that D* with locals and an HD TiVo can do now-making the new DVR available will do nothing without improved content and national HD movie and other channels to match. Just my own opinion-no big deal. We are maximum package D* subscribers, a Nielsen family and we have been from day one. Still, D* really has not given us much to be happy with for a long time, except maybe TNT HD, which we like so we can watch The Closer in HD. The HR10-250, though, WAS revolutionary for us and is our favorite and most used home theater component after our Harmony remote. These new D* receivers without TiVo software are really going to have to ADD something we do not get now?

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts