New Hopper Model?

I have two hoppers each with an OTA USB tunner for $30 extra. With the new big four feature that auto tunes to all four networks at once if you are watching just one I now have seven tuners in each hopper for a total of 14 tuners.
Having two hoppers also gives me a backup plan, if one hopper goes out I can still watch tv.
With the directv genie or say a new hopper with more tuners if the main box dies you could be out of tv for a week. Out here in Nebraska it takes a week to get an installer to your house and dish won't just mail you a replacement.

They will send a replacement of the Hopper is clearly the issue. If the issue could be something in the install then they will send a tech but if it's the reciever they will send a replacement in the mail.

I have two hoppers each with an OTA USB tunner for $30 extra. With the new big four feature that auto tunes to all four networks at once if you are watching just one I now have seven tuners in each hopper for a total of 14 tuners.
Having two hoppers also gives me a backup plan, if one hopper goes out I can still watch tv.
With the directv genie or say a new hopper with more tuners if the main box dies you could be out of tv for a week. Out here in Nebraska it takes a week to get an installer to your house and dish won't just mail you a replacement.

This is only true when tuned to a big 4 on one of the tuners. It is a bit disingenuous to say there's "14 tuners" when in fact there are not. There are 8. They appear as 14 when 2 of your 6 satellite tuners are tuned to a Big 4.

This is only true when tuned to a big 4 on one of the tuners. It is a bit disingenuous to say there's "14 tuners" when in fact there are not. There are 8. They appear as 14 when 2 of your 6 satellite tuners are tuned to a Big 4.

Also the two PTAT tuners would be duplicated so technically it would be 11 programs at once.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

Agree
3 of the Tuners are Virtual Tuners for the Big 4 Networks. I watch lots of things on my locals so this really helps me a lot in the day time.
So when I say 14 tuners 3 on each Hopper are Virtual or 6 in total are Virtual tuners used just for the big 4 networks.
I do not think most new customers will understand this. Dish needs a better way to advertise this feature.

Thanks for your reply and yes I do understand having two DVRs is a back-up plan. I have that now having DTV and DISH. Still do not understand how I would control two Hoppers in the same room or what full integration is?

A Hopper can link to any other Hopper on the same install like any Joey can. Full integration would mean the Hoppers are all virtually combined such that all recordings and timers are shown together with no distinction as to the physical Hopper actually affected. Instead of this, Dish keeps the timers and recordings separate for each Hopper. When you want to set a timer or watch a recording from a Hopper, whether from another Hopper or Joey, one links to that Hopper and then watches the recording or sets the timer.

That's precisely what they did for me when my Hopper died. They sent me a new Hopper and detailed instructions on how to install it and set it up.

The important selling point of built in sling is the iPad app, I think Dish could make a lot of sales advertising the tablet watching feature built right in vs buying a separate sling adapter.

But for those of us that already have a Sling Adapter, and will only connect via a wired interface, the next gen Hopper is of little interest, except to the extent that we might be able to get the old version cheaper.

Unless, of course, Dish pulls a rabbit out of a hat & there's something else of interest in the "new" Hopper.

The important selling point of built in sling is the iPad app, I think Dish could make a lot of sales advertising the tablet watching feature built right in vs buying a separate sling adapter.
??? How does that differ from the plug-in Sling adapter, which is also viewable via iOS and Android apps? Is there a special new iOS app that will only work with the internal Sling on the new Hopper, and not be available for Android?

Yes, he did... kinda, sorta...
If the point was about price being the advantage of a built-in Sling in the new Hopper vs needing an add-on adapter in the current Hopper, then that should have been the main point presented in the post, not:

"The important selling point of built in sling is the iPad app"

As written, it seemed like the built-in Sling will have some special mobile app not available for the current add-on. (An app exclusive to one brand of mobile device, as well.)

If I remember correctly the 922's built in Sling was not as stable as the the adapter coupled with the 722's, or so the reports conveyed.
If it is built in I really hope the bugs are minimal, the 922 was mess for months .....:coffee

Last edited:
If the point was about price being the advantage of a built-in Sling in the new Hopper vs needing an add-on adapter in the current Hopper, then that should have been the main point presented in the post, not:

"The important selling point of built in sling is the iPad app"

As written, it seemed like the built-in Sling will have some special mobile app not available for the current add-on. (An app exclusive to one brand of mobile device, as well.)

No it is not a special mobile app, but makes advertising easier. If every new install gets a hopper with sling built in, Dish can advertise it up front instead of trying to sell people an adapter later.

If I remember correctly the 922's built in Sling was not as stable as the the adapter coupled with the 722's, or so the reports conveyed.
If it is built in I really hope the bugs are minimal, the 922 was mess for months .....:coffee

I had a Sling Adapter spontaneously die the other day, made me glad that it's not built-in. DIRT got it replaced quickly for free though!

It will be interesting to see if what any new features are available with the Hopper, that would be pretty fast for a upgrade as the current hopper I don't think it's been available for a year. We had our Hopper set up in March

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)