New Hopper?

Tivo Roamio Pro has a 3 TB hard drive .
But yes as far as acual providers, I don't think anyone has over 1TB.
But External Sata drives and internal for Directv and Tivo are available.
Not sure about X1 .
The problem with DTV is you disable the internal drive in order to use the external drive. Dish just adds memory. But yes I was talking about providers STBs. You can pretty much find a dvr custom around you if you wanted to build our own. I keep hearing about the windows media center as a DVR. If someone is into that, cool, but I prefer a linear technology with the company I am with. I also do not like to much choice over most things given which is why I will likely be an apple customer for phone and tablet for a very very long time. I just don't need all that hoopla.

Gee, just when I'm about to cave and replace my SatelliteGuys ViP722k with a HWS, now comes word of the 3rd Gen Hopper. I can wait some more time, I guess...

Here's what I think would be Interesting:
  1. USB-C connectors for EHD
  2. Gigabit Ethernet NIC(s)
  3. NAS Support for EHD
  4. Allowing multiple Hoppers to access the same NAS-based EHD storage
  5. Joey Player support for the Big 4 OTB devices (Roku, AppleTV, FireTV, AndroidTV)
  6. Lower-cost headless modular Hopper Server. All the hot, noisy stuff can sit in a different room where the feeds from the dish come into the dwelling leaving fan-less, disk-less Joeys where the TVs are. Need more tuners? Add a Tuner block. OTA? Another block.
  7. Joey Stick.
  8. Full CEC support with Bluetooth Remote
  9. Bluetooth keyboard and pointer device support

Gee, just when I'm about to cave and replace my SatelliteGuys ViP722k with a HWS, now comes word of the 3rd Gen Hopper. I can wait some more time, I guess...

3. NAS Support for EHD
  5. Joey Player support for the Big 4 OTB devices (Roku, AppleTV, FireTV, AndroidTV)
  6. Lower-cost headless modular Hopper Server. All the hot, noisy stuff can sit in a different room where the feeds from the dish come into the dwelling leaving fan-less, disk-less Joeys where the TVs are. Need more tuners? Add a Tuner block. OTA? Another block.
  7. Joey Stick.
Somebody needs to wake you up you're dreaming to much.:D

If DISH (or AT&T) carried half of the channels available in each market, your argument would have some impact. On average, I wouldn't be surprised if the number of LIL channels carried is less than 40% of what is available in each market.

The utterly inexplicable thing that has happened is that AT&T seems to have silently discontinued the AN21 so their customers are screwed for OTA through their DVRs. Nothing like forcing the customers to seek out alternatives.

Personally, I'm thankful that DISH doesn't pay all of those inferior sub-channels for their signals. Their programming is mostly either old reruns of shows which weren't any good to begin with, sitcoms which didn't make the grade for a major network, religious based, or some alternate language stuff. Carrying all of them would probably add $5 or $10 to my bill.

Carrying sub-channels is questionable, I think. The number of viewers for them is tiny. The local CBS, far and away the most popular channel in this area, admitted that much when they switched networks on their sub-channel. Time Warner does carry them but the channel location is pretty random.

3. NAS Support for EHD
  7. Joey Stick.
Interesting approach. I agree with KAB, if this was a demand, but we are here to get creative and come up with as many ideas as we can. I do not see many of those going into effect, but atleast it can be looked at once.

USB-C connectors for EHD
To what advantage? If USB 2.0 suffices now, USB-C only adds significant extra expense. What's the street price for a USB-C hard drive or USB-C hub that you might take advantage of this feature?
Gigabit Ethernet NIC(s)
Do you have gigabit broadband service? Up to 8 streams probably wouldn't overrun 100Mbps Ethernet. One of the magic bits of switched Ethernet (unlike MoCA) is that devices of different speeds can peacefully coexist.
NAS Support for EHD
Why store stuff that can't be used elsewhere on a NAS?
Allowing multiple Hoppers to access the same NAS-based EHD storage
Can't they access each other's content now?
Joey Player support for the Big 4 OTB devices (Roku, AppleTV, FireTV, AndroidTV)
How does this improve anyone's DISH experience? DISH shouldn't involve themselves in being the center of the entertainment system as TiVO, X-Box and PS4 offerers are trying to do. Diversion of resource to support someone else's products is not well spent unless that's all you have to offer.
Lower-cost headless modular Hopper Server. All the hot, noisy stuff can sit in a different room where the feeds from the dish come into the dwelling leaving fan-less, disk-less Joeys where the TVs are. Need more tuners? Add a Tuner block. OTA? Another block.
Modular = stupid expensive. Exactly how noisy is your DVR and how does having all manner of little boxes with their attendant cabling and power supplies make things easier to troubleshoot, cooler or more efficient?
Joey Stick.
If you have to plug a cable into it, what's the point of having a stick?
Full CEC support with Bluetooth Remote
Bluetooth sux. The existing technology is probably better (less prone to interference, travels further and easier to set up.
Bluetooth keyboard and pointer device support
Seems like this would be easier and more cost effective to do with a Bluetooth dongle for those who want the option. DISH tried a keyboard experiment with the 921 and I would imagine that was enough.

I'm not being summarily dismissive, I'm just interested in if and/or how these features would appeal to more than a tiny fraction of the population versus the certain costs that it would bring.

I'd like to see them fix the silence issue when returning from Netflix or a DVR session to an audio channel.

I recall that there are also some remaining issues with the OTA tuner module need to be addressed.

No the Tivo Roamio is the Best HD dvr on the Market.
Never cared about Sling, PTA, and never will.
I care about Speed reliability, ease of use, and lots of Function.
And as Previous Roamio customer , 6 tuners with Netflix, Amazon at every Mini from 1 Box.
Every Mini has the same reliable fast response as the Roamio.

Sorry Joeys are sad at best. And a 4 room system requires a Minimum of $36 in fees, $38 if you want a Comparable Roamio system.

Hoppers are top over HR44, but the C31s even work better then the Joeys.
If I could have 4 722k and have whole home DVR.
I would take that over a Hopper system.

My guess others including Dish have a similar Opinion since that's why there is a thread asking what we want in a Hopper.

If Dish and Tivo could and would Figure out a way to make a Smart card for Dish Network service.
I would Gladly Drop $1000 on Tivo equipment.

Dish has Great Programming package options, and a nice Channel line up, with a Good Whole Home services with the Hopper.
But I'm not Ready to hand out my award just yet!

More Tuners , Better system connectivity, and Reliable Joeys.
Then we'll talk.
But the Whole Home with even the Roamios is diminished by the Mini's shortcomings compared to Genie and Joey. Add to that TiVo's wholly inferior Stream device performance and reliability, and what you have is still a very good DVR system, but at #3 with Genie at #2 and Hopper at #1.

Still looking for integration of timers & recorded programs into a single list for each. So tired of having to have a magic thumb to jump around to the other hopper, or to have to go in the other room to edit it's timer list.Maybe if we get more tuners I can replace the extra hopper with a joey.

But the Whole Home with even the Roamios is diminished by the Mini's shortcomings compared to Genie and Joey. Add to that TiVo's wholly inferior Stream device performance and reliability, and what you have is still a very good DVR system, but at #3 with Genie at #2 and Hopper at #1.
The only short comings Tivo Minis have, is they only work with cable.
They are far more reliable then any clients from directv. Far faster then both Dish and Directv's clients.
Tivo minis have fully integrated apps like Amazon, Neflix ,Hulu.
No to mention Roamio plus and pro have 6 tuners, and are fully integrated .
HOPPER with Sling only has Netflix. Hopper 2k you are SOL.
The Genie flat out sucks.
It is featureless slow and packed full of Directv's abundance of fees.

I'll stand by my Rating
I'll put a number on my rating.
85 for Tivo Roamio Plus with 4 minis
75 2 hopper 2 joey (if joeys were consistent with one another in speed and reliability 80)
(6 tuner single Hopper with 2 tuner SuperJoey, With Netflix,Reliable stable Joeys.
85 -90)

HR44, with 3 C41s

Last edited:
I doubt it. I look for faster CPU, more memory, maybe more tuners and Internet fallback. A keyboard and pointing device would be real nice.

I doubt it. I look for faster CPU, more memory, maybe more tuners and Internet fallback. A keyboard and pointing device would be real nice.
More tuners would be Fine, I was just thinking super joey addition because even if a New Hopper with more tuners is released, How willing is Dish going to be at upgrading customers without massive upfront costs.

More tuners would be Fine, I was just thinking super joey addition because even if a New Hopper with more tuners is released, How willing is Dish going to be at upgrading customers without massive upfront costs.
If the HWS and H2K were any example, all existing customers paid a minimum $200/hopper upgrade fee. Even the ones that didn't pay it, were charged and credited immediately for Dishs accounting records. Was about 9 months later for the H2k to go down, and 6 months for HWS.

Faster CPU and more memory are pretty much givens in "new" boxes (as CPU tech evolves quite rapidly and memory gets cheaper over time). I'm skeptical that Dish will add more tuners to their core hardware piece. If someone needs more, they have to get the Super Joey. That's the only reason it was developed....

New keyboard and pointer ? Aren't people still waiting for that new remote they demo'd ? ;)

The only short comings Tivo Minis have, is they only work with cable.
They are far more reliable then any clients from directv. Far faster then both Dish and Directv's clients.
Tivo minis have fully integrated apps like Amazon, Neflix ,Hulu.
No to mention Roamio plus and pro have 6 tuners, and are fully integrated .
HOPPER with Sling only has Netflix. Hopper 2k you are SOL.
The Genie flat out sucks.
It is featureless slow and packed full of Directv's abundance of fees.

I'll stand by my Rating
I'll put a number on my rating.
85 for Tivo Roamio Plus with 4 minis
75 2 hopper 2 joey (if joeys were consistent with one another in speed and reliability 80)
(6 tuner single Hopper with 2 tuner SuperJoey, With Netflix,Reliable stable Joeys.
85 -90)

HR44, with 3 C41s
I know we're guilty of being off topic, but . . .

Over all I do think the Mini is a good companion to TiVo boxes. However, Mini's:

1. Lack picture at TiVo Central. Yeah, picture in the guide, but as soon as I press the TiVo button, it's bye, bye to what was playing, like the news or other content I wanted to monitor, or simply put: It is NOT like the experience at the TiVo box, but a diminished one, unlike Joey's that provide EXACTLY the same experience as at the Hopper box except for PIP.

2. Still default to SD menus for access to MOST controls

3. Lacks multiple playback resume points relating to multiple Mini/rooms/people viewing the content, and this is a MUST HAVE in our home. The Joey displays all the resume points of the different rooms Hopper/Joeys. TiVo's lack of this causing frustration and great annoyance.

4. Lack control of individual tuners like the Hopper. I can't "Join" anything for when I change rooms and don't want to hassle a RECORD command because I don't want to record it, and that is a feature used a lot in our home.

5. Host DVR always reserves at least ONE TUNER for its EXCLUSIVE use. So if all but ONE Tuner is being used, I can NOT watch live TV at the Mini because the Host DVR will NOT release its dedicated tuner. Hoppers have ALL tuners available for whatever a Hopper or Joey. Yeah, the recording work around may work, but it reflects poor design and an inferior experience to the Joey.

6. Mini limits me to ONE tuner for viewing/buffer. While the TiVo box will allow me to cycle trough the tuners and its buffers, I can NOT do so at the Mini, but the Joey will allow me to put all tuners in the buffer mode and allow me to select/swap any of them to view with full trick play, and I can have MORE than three channels (I think the limit is 6) if I buffer more than one Local. The Mini is a one trick Pony--er, tuner, client.

7. Integrated Apps at Mini or TiVo box aren't so great. Face it, even the most loyal TiVo fanboys admit they prefer a Roku for streaming apps because the TiVo experience with streaming services is so spotty and downright inferior to the Roku. It's all over the TCF how utterly goofed TiVo's attempt at integrating streaming services was and is. Anybody serious about streaming services has a Roku, but that means even the Hopper/Joey isn't as good as the Roku experience, but Dish has never advertised itself as "the ONE box" designed to take the place of a Roku or any streamer they way TiVo still promotes it as a replacement for dedicated streaming devices like the tops Roku.

Bottom line is a client should strive to have virtually the same experience as one has at the Host DVR. This is the case with the Joey, but far from it for the Mini. It has too many features lacking compared to the experience at the TiVo box for it to be considered a superior client to the Joey.

Now, I could go on and on about the inferior TiVo Stream and it's abysmal performance via TiVo Online (the mobile device part of it seems to work well enough by my experience), compared to the far superior experience and PQ and controls/features of Hopper with Sling and DishAnywhere, but that would take at least as long as this post. And even the Slingbox performs better than the Stream.

This is not a fanboy post, but my personal experience with these systems. The Joey has its problems and can sometimes annoy me, but my overall experience with it is a superior one to the Mini. However, I don't dislike nor hate the Mini. It does its "CORE" purpose well enough, and I highly recommend it to any TiVo owner who has the compatible TiVo DVR because it saves a boatload of money compared to having to buy an additional TiVo box with all its fees or the newly, ridiculously priced "All-in" fee of $599 with no more discounts if you already own a TiVo DVR. However, when I use the Mini, I am aware of A LOT it can NOT do compared to the Joey, but I love my Mini's. It would be nice if TiVo would continue to improve them. TiVo and the Mini's are far better than ANY of the cable TV DVR's and easily the best for cord cutters who wish to record OTA PRECISELY because of the Mini compared to Channel Masters non existent multi-room solution (they tell you to go and buy an expensive Slingbox, but that does NOT provide separate experiences at each room like the Mini provides), but TiVo is EXPENSIVE, even MORE so since the introduction of the Bolt. I'm just saying the Joey is a better client than the Mini, not that the Mini is bad product.

Last edited:
Reactions: Troch77
The problem I have with the Joeys, is there shouldn't be models that are slower with different software .
The S395 Joeys are Garbage.
There maybe some missing features or slight flaws on the Tivo minis, but navigation isn't one of them.
And as far as the Roamio keeping a tuner for itself, well it does have 6.
And also you can join a tuner and watch the exact same show as another room, You can also see what all 6 tuners are doing, but not on the Minis. But who cares?
Very few people I'm sure.

Yes now on the minis Tivo central takes away the live Picture, again doesn't really matter to me.
Still there guide surfing.

As far as recording playback, well never had an issue resuming where I've left off.
Has the same options , start over or resume.

The Hopper has issues with back to back recording . It can't seem to figure out how to take an unused tuner.

As far as streaming, My Joeys are about 75% reliable when it comes to streaming Netflix.
Tivo Minis, 98%.
My entire family would agree. Tivos load twice as fast as my HWS.
Tivo stream is only required with the 4 tuner Roamio, and the Premier models, Not the 6 tuner plus and pro models.
Also I had 2 Roamios and 2 minis, for a total of $39 in fees.
Not bad for a 12 tuner setup.

S395 Joey again may have some nice features over the Minis, but they aren't any good if they can't be used very well.
Something a simple as a program search is impossible, guide navigation is gut wrenching slow on the s395, and acceptable on the s487 joey.
And the nightly reboots?
Even the Directv HRs don't need that.
And their C41 performance isn't any worse then the Joeys.

Fix the Joeys, and Get more tuners in these Hoppers and I'll gladly put the Hopper whole home system in first place.

But as a whole, The Tivo Roamios with minis perform much better.

But I do value you opinion, And thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)