New Hopper?

I think the best feature Dish could add would be to have all tuners 3, 6, 9 however many each to be able to record an entire TP all at once AND to arrange channels on the TP's so that we can customize our PTAT like recordings. We get to select which set of channels the tuner will record.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I will take a stab at some of these :)

"USB-C connectors for EHD"

To what advantage? If USB 2.0 suffices now, USB-C only adds significant extra expense. What's the street price for a USB-C hard drive or USB-C hub that you might take advantage of this feature?
Doesn't suffice for me, with a transfer rate of 10Gbps as opposed to 60 Mbps, it takes too long transferring now to/from an EHD.

"Gigabit Ethernet NIC(s)"

Do you have gigabit broadband service? Up to 8 streams probably wouldn't overrun 100Mbps Ethernet. One of the magic bits of switched Ethernet (unlike MoCA) is that devices of different speeds can peacefully coexist.
If there was a NAS option (see below) then GB transfer would be much nicer then 100Mps.
"NAS Support for EHD"

Why store stuff that can't be used elsewhere on a NAS?
I personally would love to backup data to a NAS that I already own and is set up with RAID 5, and has multiple uses besides just an EHD for a Hopper,
"Allowing multiple Hoppers to access the same NAS-based EHD storage"

Can't they access each other's content now?
No. I cannot see the EHD attached to one Hopper from the other Hopper.
"Joey Player support for the Big 4 OTB devices (Roku, AppleTV, FireTV, AndroidTV)"

How does this improve anyone's DISH experience? DISH shouldn't involve themselves in being the center of the entertainment system as TiVO, X-Box and PS4 offerers are trying to do. Diversion of resource to support someone else's products is not well spent unless that's all you have to offer.
I would like using a "main box" on my TV without the need to switch inputs, I was not a fan of using a PS3 but a low power device like those listed would work great, and you could activate/decativate as needed without buying your own Joeys.
"Lower-cost headless modular Hopper Server. All the hot, noisy stuff can sit in a different room where the feeds from the dish come into the dwelling leaving fan-less, disk-less Joeys where the TVs are. Need more tuners? Add a Tuner block. OTA? Another block."

Modular = stupid expensive. Exactly how noisy is your DVR and how does having all manner of little boxes with their attendant cabling and power supplies make things easier to troubleshoot, cooler or more efficient?
I could see this as a way to get more tuners. This way you could run 2 coax cables to the "head unit" and then only need 1 coax to each TV with a Joey/Software Joey.

Doesn't suffice for me, with a transfer rate of 10Gbps as opposed to 60 Mbps, it takes too long transferring now to/from an EHD.
Consider that encryption of the video stream is probably the bottleneck in the EHD transfer process.
If there was a NAS option (see below) then GB transfer would be much nicer then 100Mps.
It doesn't matter how fast the media is if the media isn't the bottleneck.
I personally would love to backup data to a NAS that I already own and is set up with RAID 5, and has multiple uses besides just an EHD for a Hopper.
How many others would go through all those hoops to do the same?

Would the content owners approve of having such ready access to the stream files?
No. I cannot see the EHD attached to one Hopper from the other Hopper.
I misunderstood that this was possible.

Consider that encryption of the video stream is probably the bottleneck in the EHD transfer process.
It doesn't matter how fast the media is if the media isn't the bottleneck.
How many others would go through all those hoops to do the same?

Would the content owners approve of having such ready access to the stream files?
I misunderstood that this was possible.

Are you telling me that the video is not already encrypted, I find that surprising.

One of the hazards of assuming.
Not sure what hazard I encountered.

But you are assuming that if a NAS was used for back up than the files wouldn't be encrypted, I find that highly unlikely.

Hopefully Dish doesn't use your logic and just decides that the current Hopper is good enough for most people and therefore there is no reason to change anything at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)