New install. MRDVR vs VOD vs Coax vs Ethernet?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Now I am worried nothing will get achieved on the visit. Rep on phone was stating the 24 series has compatibility issues with the broadband DECA and it should not be used. They claimed it is built into the 24. :rolleyes:

Don't even get me started on the internet issue. ATT was supposed to install Uverse internet that morning but when tech arrived he found fiber had not been run to the house yet. I had to wait 5 days before internet was installed.

Even if internet was there I do not think the tech was familiar with VOD needing internet. He even made some comment that he did not see whole house DVR was on the order but it was working before he left.

That is not correct there is NO compatibility issues with the DECA and 24's. All I will say is make sure you get a DECA install near your router. It will make things easier for you and will get everything on the net and all the features plus your MVR as well. :)

I searched this forum and finally found a picture diagram of a good example. Check the post below; it shows two HR24s connected to Internet via the INTERNET Connection Kit (ICK). The dual coaxial SWiM PI is optional. I also have mine setup this way to limit coaxial cable length.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...internet-up-hr24-mrv-enabled.html#post2233489

This setup has been described many times in this forum. Maybe a picture will help. The broadband DECA is on a splitter, it's not to be plugged directly to 24 series which seems to be the perception some have when hearing the broadband DECA application described. If this picture is not worth a thousand words, we may have to venture over to Directv.com to find an official Directv diagram. That said, my installer was well versed in the application despite it being his first hands-on WHD with ICK upgrade.

Yeah good photo.. Show how the Broadband DECA plug into the router then you plug the power in then the coax cable goes back to the Swim switch which you get installed anyway. Which then pass the net connection to all devices plus MVR as well. But this is a good example of how a install should be done.

I want to connect my DVR to the internet, can someone explain me how is the best way to do it?
You connect it to your router and go.

How you connect to your router depends on the locations and what kind of wiring you have available. Here are the options:

1. Cat5
2. Wi-fi
3. HomePlug
4. DECA

Without knowing some details about other uses and the kind of distances, its not possible to recommend which is best.

As mentioned before, after disconnecting the ethernet cable from the HR24, re-run satellite completely. Go through all the steps even if the configuration is correct. It is the only way to get the internal DECA turned back on. I had this issue on my MRV install and my installer would always stop when it showed the correct SWiM configuration. After he got frustrated and left, blaming my Overstock HR24, I did satellite setup again and it worked fine. All my receivers started seeing each other again.

Thanks for the pic armchair. Now that I know exactly how it is going to connect I am able to pre-configure my On-Q to make it much easier for the tech. The SWM splitter, an ethernet port, and an electrical outlet all inside the On-Q box. They are supposed to be here tomorrow.

Tech came this morning and connected the broadband DECA just as pic showed. Ran into a problem where one DVR could see the other but not the other way around. both boxes did get IP address and VOD working on both. After he called into his support they had us unplug power from every box, unplugged power from the power "thingy" (technical term?) that goes on one box. We then powered on one box and re-ran setup. VOD working. Did same with second DVR. VOD and multi-room working. Both boxes seeing each other for multi-room and VOD working. 1 to 2 hours after the tech leaves it is back to VOD working on both but multi-room only working one way. Any suggestions? Before the broadband DECA was introduced the multi-room worked perfect.

Stu-Pidast try doing a rest on the Swim Adapter..

1st Unscrew the 2 coax cables that are plug into the black Swim power adapter.
2nd Now unplug the Black Swim Adapter and wait for the green light on top to go off it to go off. This way we know the unit is completely shut down.
3rd Once the green light is off plug the black adapter back in.
4th Then screw your 2 coax cables back on the black swim adapter.

After that go back to each receiver and run the Mutli Room setup and the internet test to make sure they both get on the net.

Alright Poke, just now did that. It seems this may be narrowed down to one box now. Odd as how multi-room worked before. After running multi-room setup I ran test and came back with error...

This receiver appears to be experiencing network playback errors. If you are experiencing problems watching recorded content, please call Customer Service at 1-800-DIRECTV and report diagnostic code displayed below.

Diagnostic Code 72-79-955

Is there something else I might be able to do or should I call them again?

While waiting I replaced the end of the coax on the backside of the wall plate for the box that seems to be having the issue. That may not be the cause of the issue but I prefer the compression fittings over the crimp on ones the electrician used when the house was built. You would think new construction they would use compression but oh well.

Anyway. I went through and unplugged EVERYTHING. I then powered up the swim adapter first. I then proceeded to power up the boxes one by one and run through setup. I am still getting the same error message as above.

Did you try hitting the red reset button on the receiver having the issue?? If not try that then run the setup and see if the error goes away. Also make sure you don't have the cable put on backward or hooked into the wrong place on the black swim power adapter.

Last edited:
Your other option would be to run a temporary cable from the receiver to the SWiM splitter and see if the issue is resolved. If it is, the cable in the wall is bad.

Also make sure the cable is in the right input. There are two, make sure it's on the one labled for SWiM.

Poke, I have tried resetting with red button many times.

The install tech connected this way...

From the dish down to the in on the SWM splitter. One of the outs on the splitter goes to the SWM power adapter then on to a box. The one labeled "power to SWM" is the end connected to splitter. Is this correct?

Okay. Right after posting that I turned on the DVR that is NOT getting the error message. Of course it i not seeing the DVR that I think has the issue.. oh wait... there is one and only one show in the list from the other box. I selected it but did not play it. I stepped back to the list screen and now everything is showing and I play one of the other shows. I go back to the list and all is gone again.

I have not had a chance to run another cable yet as someone is sleeping in the room where all the connections are at.

Had a chance to make a brand new coax line with compression fittings and ran direct from SWM splitter to box that is getting errors, same issue. I reset box, restored defaults, then re-ran setup. Same thing.

Had a chance to make a brand new coax line with compression fittings and ran direct from SWM splitter to box that is getting errors, same issue. I reset box, restored defaults, then re-ran setup. Same thing.

You still get that same error message or a diffrent one??

Same error message on same one with a brand new coax line. Shorter run even as not going through walls. Even through walls this is the shortest run to begin with.

Have you tried power off that receiver then unplug it then plug it back in and see if you get the error..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)