New Installation Observations

thefiler

Original poster
May 10, 2004
Hi all:
I was just installed (actually the installer assisted me in the installation process) earlier this week. The installer was clueless (which way is South, why don't we get a signal with the dish pointed in the wrong direction, etc.) but a nice guy!

The HD picture is just okay with a DVI connection to my Sony 60" LCD tv. I believe I had a superior picture with D* and my Hughes E86. More to the point: When changing channels I get pixelization briefly as each channel is tuned in. Somewhat distracting. It's almost like the received channel is weak, signal strength wise, but my tuning meter says green and I'm in the mid 90's on all channels. Any reason why this occurs?

Also, I called V* and asked that they remap my receiver to allow me to receive my local ABC affiliate. This station is only 7 miles from me and is not only the closest, but the strongest signal for me. After going through reasons why I might not be receiving the channel (is it digital, is it too far away, you might have a poor antenna, etc.), it was determined the receiver is not mapped for it!. V* called Installs Inc (I think) and they were going to do something but such something has yet to happen. Any ideas or clues as to what I might do next?

Sorry for such a long write up from a newbie. I've installed dishes for over 15 years, off and on, and am one of the very first D* subscribers.

Thanks,

Have you tried different resolutions on the STB? There is a little red button behind the flip-down panel in the lower right-hand corner of the STB. Looks for all the world like a reset button, but it controls the resolution.

Also, if the installation was recent, the newest software may not have downloaded yet. You should have version 5.68. Do you have component hooked up along with DVI? Some people have reported problems with DVI, but get a better picture through component.

I do have the latest update, 5.6.8 or something like that. I did try various resolutions and have settled in with 1080 for my HD Sony. The DVI connection seems to be on a par with the component video input. I left the DVI connection active. I also have a 27" Pro Scan with V* and am using the SVHS connection with it. It too suffers from pixelization when changing channels.

Thanks for the thoughts.

The two seconds pixelation when changing channels is a known problem. As to your mapping problem. There's two things you can do: (If it's not in your PG, it is not mapped and you can change your antenna in whatever direction and you won't get it)

1 - Send me an email with your full address to Sean_Mota@satelliteguys.us with the explanation of the channel missing from your PG.

or

2- you can wait until the new software that will have "OTA Manual Scanning" available.

Which of these two will happen first, I do not know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)