New Magnavox OTA DVRs

rjruby

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
Nazareth, PA
Saw this info on CNET from CES for new Magnavox OTA DVRs coming later this year.

http://www.cnet.com/products/magnavox-tbhp500-series-dvr/

From the article:

"The three new Magnavox models -- the MDR877H/F7 ($400), TB560HP/F7 ($450), and TB560HS/F7 ($500) -- are all due out in the fourth quarter of 2016. Each one has at least two tuners (six on the 560HS) and at least 1TB of storage for hundreds of hours of recording time. More importantly, they all have a no-fee on-screen EPG that looked good and offered fairly zippy navigation when I tried it out.

It gets better. These models also have Wi-Fi, and they can beam live and recorded programming to iOS and Android devices elsewhere in the house. Moreover, Magnavox is promising the ability to download programs to watch offline, as well as -- on the MDR877H -- to burn shows to the integrated DVD recorder."

$400 for a 2 tuner model?
rovi guide info (which rumour is could go belly up any time soon)?
DVD burner is nice....but they can put copyright on it which means you're SOL?

no thanks
Just my opinion....looks like something someone would buy on the grounds they hate the name Tivo

I've tried a bunch of DVR's...from the DIshPalDVR when it came out to the single tuner units to multiple Tivos....and for me the Tivo is the best

Yeah, my TiVo Roamio OTA is the best DVR I've ever used and I've had a few. A lot of folks, cord-cutters especially, are hostile towards hardware that requires any recurring service fee. I get that, although I think such fees may help ensure longevity for the provider's business model. (That said, $15 a month or $150 a year is too much to pay TiVo if you're OTA-only. I think $8 to 10 is reasonable.)

My first DVR was a Sony DHG with no recurring fees. It got its program guide info from data embedded in a local channel's signal, a system called TV Guide OnScreen. Which was all well and good until the system went belly-up, leaving the box pretty much useless.

Yeah, my TiVo Roamio OTA is the best DVR I've ever used and I've had a few. A lot of folks, cord-cutters especially, are hostile towards hardware that requires any recurring service fee. I get that, although I think such fees may help ensure longevity for the provider's business model. (That said, $15 a month or $150 a year is too much to pay TiVo if you're OTA-only. I think $8 to 10 is reasonable.)
agreed
What sucks is I have the Roamio OTA for over a year and they still are charging me $15 a month. (there is no other option for exisint subs)

TVGoS didn't go belly up. ROVI killed it to go for IP delivery only so they didn't have to pay for all the inserters around the country at the local stations that inserted the TVGoS data into the OTA broadcast

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

agreed
What sucks is I have the Roamio OTA for over a year and they still are charging me $15 a month. (there is no other option for exisint subs)

i called tivo 5 times , wanting a OTA tivo. got a different answer each time i called.:( worst price was 500 bucks just for lifetime

i ended up buying a used ota tivo from craiglist for 300 bucks with lifetime service, its coming from buffalo by USPS should have it in a couple days:) paid with pay pal, for my protection.

TVGoS didn't go belly up. ROVI killed it to go for IP delivery only so they didn't have to pay for all the inserters around the country at the local stations that inserted the TVGoS data into the OTA broadcast

"Belly up," "killed," however you want to put it, the existing system for delivering guide data to my DVR stopped working. And since no one who owned that DVR was paying the data provider any recurring fees for the data, the provider had no financial incentive to somehow continue providing it.

"Belly up," "killed," however you want to put it, the existing system for delivering guide data to my DVR stopped working. And since no one who owned that DVR was paying the data provider any recurring fees for the data, the provider had no financial incentive to somehow continue providing it.
Know it well. Had 2 DHG's. Gave them both to friends to use as tuners on old RPHDTV that didn't come with tuners.

I still have my 500DHG hooked up. I guess I should watch whatever is there and rip out the drives for my ever growing EHD collection.

i called tivo 5 times , wanting a OTA tivo. got a different answer each time i called.:( worst price was 500 bucks just for lifetime
Bob we've already gone through this in the pub area when you complained about the same thing. No need to pollute more threads

i ended up buying a used ota tivo from craiglist for 300 bucks with lifetime service, its coming from buffalo by USPS should have it in a couple days:) paid with pay pal, for my protection.
IN your other thread you said $400...

I like it looks nice to me.
Yeah it looks good but if you can't archive the recordings it is useless Hollywood garbage like HDMI. Don't ask what that acronym actually stands for! Well we are approaching middle November and if you go to their Facebook page you will find people asking about it and Magnavox referring them to the older models. This may be vaporware at least as far as the market in UASSIA is concerned. I fix a lot of VHS to record ATSC the only reliable way to go if you want to archive. Hollywood and the music industry have virtually killed good recording equipment. The day those entities arev found belly up time to have a party!:bluesbros

Wow. Nearly speechless.

I can't comment on the Magnavox, but many here have been using TIVOs for some time without major issues. I have never failed to record something I wanted and there has only been 1 or 2 instances where the HDCP flags denied me being able to download to my computer.

I expect Asket's issue is that he was trying to share with others and wanted clear video formats. There are tools out there to do just that, at least for TIVO, but they are as questionably legal as distributing protected content.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts