NEW MAZ -- Neat!

B.J.

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Western Maine
I don't generally use the MAZ program, mainly because it only runs on one of my OLD computers for some reason (must interfer with things on my newer computers). But I just pulled that old computer up on my VNC, and started to run MAZ to check on something, and it told me that there was a new version, so I told it to go ahead and load it.
I think it was version 2.3 or something, not sure. At first I didn't notice anything different, but then I looked at the screenshot option, which USED to be just screenshots of the setup screens, but NOW it can do both setup screens AND the TV display. NEAT.
I was able to save the file as a .Jpg {the capital J was what MAZ said}, however it doesn't seem to display on my graphics program, it says the file is corrupted. I've only played with it for about 2 min, so I'll probably figure this out.
However I DID notice, that MAZ apparently tried to go into the Azbox and re-name one of my directories on the hard drive I had attached. I DO NOT LIKE THIS. Ie I have always been afraid of using MAZ, because it goes to about 4 or 5 different internet sites before it loads up, without permission, and it has scripts that change some of the protected partitions on the Azbox which are read only over to read-write.
I REALLY think that MAZ is a potentially dangerous (to your Azbox AND to your PCs) program, so I use it very seldom, and I'm glad that I only have it on an old computer that is only used for 2 things..... however this screenshot thing is pretty neat if I can figure out what's wrong with the JPG format it uses.

EDIT: after posting the above, I tried the screenshot thing again, while and switched again to the telnet function afterwards, and while I had the USB1 captures directory on my external hard drive displayed on the screen, rather than a TV screen.... the thing kind of bombed, but the most disturbing thing I saw was that a window asking for permission to switch the RW privilages of the Azbox RO directory had displayed, and it was stuck there... which is dangerous.
Anyway, once I switched back to a TV screen, I tried it again, and it worked again.
If you look at the Azbox display while doing the capture, the Azbox pops up a screen saying that a capture has been done, and apparently the Azbox transfers that file to it's Capture directory, but then the MAZ program moves that over to the PC, and deletes it off the Azbox. So apparently the Azox itself has a CAPTURE function that I didn't know about. I can't seem to find it on any of the menus.
Anyone know how to initiate the capture on the Azbox?

EDIT2: BTW, the captures of HD channels are good quality.

Last edited:
B.J.

In regards to the screen capture on the AZBox itself, while you are simply watching a show, press the CHECK button (paperclip). That will snap a screen shot. You can do this with LIVE TV or with a playback from a recorded file.

RADAR

B.J.

As for taking a screen shot with MAZ, it may say it is *.jpg image, but it is actually saved as a *.PNG image file.

I found this out when trying to post an image (screen shot) that I wanted to post in the forum. It said that it was an invalid file. When I investigated it, I found that it was not a *.jpg file.

This was easily corrected by opening the image with Windows picture and fax viewer and clicking on the Windows picture and fax editor button at the bottom of the screen, last option on the right (just left of the "?" for help file). The image was CLOSED and then REOPENED for editing. I did not edit the pix, but selected SAVE AS and selected *.jpg format.

This was not a big trouble item, but very confusing. I thought it (MAZ) was saving it as a *.jpg file but was not. Very misleading as I thought the program stated that it was saving the image the way I wanted it in the first place. I sort of found the error (or difference) by accident.

RADAR

B.J.

I have run into a snag with MAZ 2.3 just recently.

Just a couple days ago, I was running firmware 0.9.4461 and it was working fine for screen shots with MAZ editor 2.3. I have since jumped over firmware 0.9.4466 to install 0.9.4487.

Checking on issues related to your first post, I found that I could not obtain any screen shots with MAZ 2.3 proggy. I clicked on the CAMERA icon to obtain an image and it just sat there and did nothing but display the hourglass icon and then when I attempted to exit or ESCAPE from the program, it said that it was not responding. This is a fairly common response for me using MAZ programs (almost every version that they have offered).

I am now reinstalling the previous firmware version of 0.9.4461 to see if this corrects the problem. Since I have done nothing other that upgrad my AZBox firmware since it was working last, that is my starting point now.

I will let you know the results in a few minutes (hopefully).

EDIT: Now this is why I am not too keen on MAZ EDITOR program. I just had it up and running (although it wasn't doing what it was supposed to). Now, I cannot get it to even open properly. It is as if it has lost part of its set up directions. I can only get the MAZ icon to show in the tray at the bottom of the screen. I will have to try harder to pull it up. If I go to FileZilla, everything connects just fine and I can connect to the AZBox and FTP files back and forth. It must be the MAZ EDIT program that is not right.

RADAR

Last edited:
B.J.

In regards to the screen capture on the AZBox itself, while you are simply watching a show, press the CHECK button (paperclip). That will snap a screen shot. You can do this with LIVE TV or with a playback from a recorded file.

RADAR

Thanks. Yep, that works great, and takes all of a couple seconds to download to my PC.
But the interesting thing is that THESE images are not corrupted. My graphics program displays them fine, no problem.
However the images captured by MAZ, which is obviously using the same Azbox routine, will not, which is strange. The MAZ images will display from my browser (SeaMonkey), but they won't display using either Paint Shop Pro ver 9, or one of the most recent versions of PhotoShop (on my Wife's computer, so I'm not sure what version it is).
So MAZ is apparently corrupting the files somehow, either that or files are getting corrupted on the old computer I have MAZ on (not very likely, but possible).
Anyway, I thought that this snapshot thing on MAZ was kind of neat, but using the paperclip thing you mention is a heck of a lot easier. So I guess there aren't any real advantages of the new MAZ thing, plus I wonder what it will do if you don't have a hard drive connected? Ie it seems to default to using the hard drive, as does the paper clip thing (which is probably why I never noticed this before, since I generally don't have a hard drive connected), so I'm wondering what the Azbox will do with the images if there is no hard drive connected?

Thanks.

B.J.

I am really having problems with MAZ 2.3 today. I thought I had it working a couple days ago, but now it is totally messed up. I cannot get it to even open properly. The author of this program (MAZEdit) has some serious issues to address. I am thinking that he or she is writing it based upon their own PC OS and their own AZBox and their own network concerns, but it gets "fidgity" when it comes to other systems.

Well. that is my analysis and hypothesis based upon my experience thus far. Others who I have spoken too (via forums) seem to think it is the greatest since sliced bread, but then why does it have so many problems with my system?

Befuddled here.

Currently, it is much more of a nuissance to me than a help. I am hoping that someone (who I am familiar with without mentioning names) will assist in creating an editor program that has all the bells and whistles and will work with the AZBox and all PC OS's.

I am not a PC programmer, although I have the background to learn it. I would much rather rely on someone else who is more adept to figure out something that works for us. I simply don't have the time to train myself at this endeavor of programming an editor program as I would have to learn so much that is beyond my scope as it is, let alone become creative with it all.

We really need someone who understands the AZBox and Linux and all the supporting programs to develop this for us. Trying to wade through programs half in English and half in Russion, Polish, Spanish or other languages just makes it ten times worse for me. Then, when a snag develops, there is no great support to troubleshoot it.

Awhh! The Growing Pains! I feel them! Ha Ha! :)

RADAR

B.J.

I am really having problems with MAZ 2.3 today. I thought I had it working a couple days ago, but now it is totally messed up. I cannot get it to even open properly.
This is what happens on my two main computers, ie it starts to open, it tries to connect to 4 or 5 web pages, then it bombs. I almost suspect that the main computers might be blocking some site it's trying to get to. But it works fine on the old computer. I also wonder if it has something to do with time of day that the sites might be down. I really think the problem has something to do with it not getting through on the internet though, because that's when it bombs, for me at least.
The author of this program (MAZEdit) has some serious issues to address. I am thinking that he or she is writing it based upon their own PC OS and their own AZBox and their own network concerns, but it gets "fidgity" when it comes to other systems.
Yeah, I agree completely with that. It's coming up with something unexpected that doesn't happen on his computer, and the program can't cope with it.
Well. that is my analysis and hypothesis based upon my experience thus far. Others who I have spoken too (via forums) seem to think it is the greatest since sliced bread, but then why does it have so many problems with my system?

Befuddled here.

Currently, it is much more of a nuissance to me than a help. I am hoping that someone (who I am familiar with without mentioning names) will assist in creating an editor program that has all the bells and whistles and will work with the AZBox and all PC OS's.

I am not a PC programmer, although I have the background to learn it. I would much rather rely on someone else who is more adept to figure out something that works for us. I simply don't have the time to train myself at this endeavor of programming an editor program as I would have to learn so much that is beyond my scope as it is, let alone become creative with it all.

We really need someone who understands the AZBox and Linux and all the supporting programs to develop this for us. ...

The programming part wouldn't be hard, --IF-- the Azbox people would release the data structure of their 3 data files. If they would do that, I'd bet that the Channel Master people, and a lot of other people would quickly come up with a good working editor, but these companies are so protective of their software that they don't like to give away their secrets, even if it would mean that they'd get free help fixing their problems.

The programming part wouldn't be hard, --IF-- the Azbox people would release the data structure of their 3 data files.

Actually, they have. I've got the SDK downloaded. It's their own format and not a "standard" database format, of course. I read over some source code examples but hadn't gotten any farther than that. The source they provided with the SDK would allow you to make your own modules be able to update channel lists, sat lists, etc.

However, time is a premium for me lately so I haven't done anything else but that.

Actually, they have. I've got the SDK downloaded. It's their own format and not a "standard" database format, of course. I read over some source code examples but hadn't gotten any farther than that. The source they provided with the SDK would allow you to make your own modules be able to update channel lists, sat lists, etc.

However, time is a premium for me lately so I haven't done anything else but that.

If I might ask - where did you get the SDK??

I've been using Maz 2.3 for a while now on Windows 7. Have not run into a problem as of yet. :p fingers crossed....

B.J.

As for taking a screen shot with MAZ, it may say it is *.jpg image, but it is actually saved as a *.PNG image file.

I found this out when trying to post an image (screen shot) that I wanted to post in the forum. It said that it was an invalid file. When I investigated it, I found that it was not a *.jpg file.

This was easily corrected by opening the image with Windows picture and fax viewer and clicking on the Windows picture and fax editor button at the bottom of the screen, last option on the right (just left of the "?" for help file). The image was CLOSED and then REOPENED for editing. I did not edit the pix, but selected SAVE AS and selected *.jpg format.

This was not a big trouble item, but very confusing. I thought it (MAZ) was saving it as a *.jpg file but was not. Very misleading as I thought the program stated that it was saving the image the way I wanted it in the first place. I sort of found the error (or difference) by accident.

RADAR

Regarding png files:
png files can easily be converted to .jpg using Windows Vista and Windows 7. Skype uses the same format for their screenshots.

I thought that if it was regular PNG, that Paint Shop Pro should open it if I just change the name, but that doesn't work either. What Radar describes works for me too, but it's strange, because PSP SHOULD open PNG files.

So I opened the file in a binary editor, and figured it out. The files are NOT PNG files, they are BMP files. It just happens that the Windows programs will open BMP files even if they have a different extension, ie the first couple bytes are "BM", so it looks for the identifyer. PSP apparently just looks at the extension.
When I renamed the file with a .BMP extension, PSP opened it fine.
Only thing I can think of is that some older versions of programs like Visual Basic could only display BMP files, so maybe MAZ had to convert the files to BMP format to display them??? Only reason I can think that they'd bother doing a format conversion.

I thought that if it was regular PNG, that Paint Shop Pro should open it if I just change the name, but that doesn't work either. What Radar describes works for me too, but it's strange, because PSP SHOULD open PNG files.

I've been using the Maz 2.3 with fw 4487 for captures with the same prob of opening the result. Resorted to print screening Maz, then cut the pic out with PSP. After reading here, tried renaming the .Jpg files to .bmp - no go, but can rename .png and PSP (v 4.12) opens it, maybe comp/software dependent.

The only problem I have with Maz is it won't close normally without an error and I can't kill the error...have to reboot to clear.

Isn't there some telnet command(s) that will create a screen shot?

I've been using the Maz 2.3 with fw 4487 for captures with the same prob of opening the result. Resorted to print screening Maz, then cut the pic out with PSP. After reading here, tried renaming the .Jpg files to .bmp - no go, but can rename .png and PSP (v 4.12) opens it, maybe comp/software dependent.

The only problem I have with Maz is it won't close normally without an error and I can't kill the error...have to reboot to clear.

Isn't there some telnet command(s) that will create a screen shot?

That's strange. PSP opens it up for me when I rename it .bmp. I'm using ver 9, but I doubt that made a difference. I'm still running the 3877 version on the Azbox, but that shouldn't be an issue either.
You'd think that there would be a telnet command. I saw some scripts as part of the MAZ package, maybe the scripts will show the command. I know that the scripts showed some lines where they change directories to RW from RO.

EDIT: I just realized I remembered wrong, it wasn't scripts I remembered, it was that I used a packet sniffer to watch what MAZ was sending to the Azbox, and saw the telnet commands. Let me try that again.

I put the packet sniffer on the MAZ, and did a screen capture. Couldn't quite figure out how it worked.

First it tried to create the /captures directory. Then, it seemed to be sending a command such as :
td210_ip_remote followed by the ip# of the Azbox, followed by an "N" , before any response came back from the attempted mk dir command, which later failed. The next telnet packet had an essQ .

I tried to send the td210_ip_remote command, which put me into some kind of shell where it's expecting commands, but I couldn't figure out what command to send it. I tried with the "N", and with NessQ, and a few other combinations, but nothing worked. I eventually just ctrl-c to quit the shell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)