New Satellite TV and Radio Stations

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I used to get that all the time. I work in radio (no, not a DJ, "Broadcast Engineer"), so i see them all the time. While the bunkers from hell(tm) are pretty cool, in reality, it's just a dish, no need for a tower really. But hey, if the ham club wants to knock down their lease price (and has a provision to allow sub-leasers) by all means. It's a lot easier getting a crane and truck into those facilities than an alley of an old tom thumb, that's for sure!

Though, i'm pretty sure to start, you might just need about 2 full racks worth of gear (provided no live broadcasts). But most of my original post still has merit.

We certainly wouldn't need the tower itself, but it would be excellent for certain amenities. There is also ample space within the facility, if we were to remove the rest of the hardware that was intended for the original use. The actual owner pulled all the copper out for salvage long ago, but left quite a bit of junk (some good stuff, too - toys to us).

It's not easy to do, nor cheap. Best thing to do is get a buisness model/plan written up and go hunt venture capital. There's a thing here in MN (yes, i'm in iceberg's territory, just north of the metro vs him in the southland) called the "idea bank". It's quite facinating. It's a bunch of bank presidents who stick money into new ideas, if they like it, they back it for a cut until you can buy them out. (which is how they end up with the money in the first place) Look around for these types of groups. But remember, they're bankers, they want to make money. So have numbers in hand when you talk to them. :)

Absolutely. I had a pretty fair idea that this was not going to be simple, nor inexpensive. There is no way that I would do this without investors such as that group of bankers that you mentioned. That was sort of my plan, besides any government grants or other means of support (whatever I could find).

Getting all of the specifics from the technical end lined up and then researching the cost of this all is first on my agenda. Then the legal aspects and then the overall programming costs. These are just generalities and there is much more to be concerned with (insurance, employment, upkeep, maintenance, taxes, etc., etc., etc.)

From my contact through Intelsat, I have found that lease for one channel on a C-Band sat would currently run $25,000/month with a three year contract. This is actually a little more than expected as it calculates out to about $35/hour. He didn't provide a quote or even an estimated price for space on a Ku band.

I do not wish to go C-Band. I would rather it be Ku-Band, so he informed me that space on 127.0 might be available for FTA use. But, who is to say by the time this is all put together if any space would be left there. I haven't researched the footprint of that sat lately, so I don't know if it is desirable or not. I would like the transmission to reach as many as possible. That is why a sat near 97 +/- 10 degrees might be better.

It is all a matter of wishful thinking and nice dreams right now, but I am going to continue to research this all if for nothing more than the pursuit of knowledge.

Gordy

Last edited:
Thinking outside the box

Without reading the posts 1-9, "going to read each post tonight" just thinking outside the traditional box on what’s even involved in starting you own show, or even an entire broadcast company, man power, equipment, engineering, Is it possible to take IPTV signals, uplink those with half the equipment that’s even needed in a traditional Satellite signal feeds. I'm thinking HAM radio style for FTA.
If anybody checks out the shows on Revision3 Revision3 > Current Shows
They do allot of cool things in both SD, and HD format downloads. Most of their recordings are done with just High Definition handhelds and boxed store bought audio/video editing software, and they put together lower budget recordings I'm sure for half or even a quarter the cost of studios, and the stuff looks and sounds great. Just putting in my 0.02 newbie cents in the mix on possible technology.
Maybe the bigger studios could look into this as a niche and dump money in the lower budget home grown studios that want to air FTA or even OTA signals.
Gordy, you have my vote, anything I can do to help.

Marco,

Thanks a bunch! Your support is definitely appreciated!

In all honesty, I must say that this is a fantastic dream. However, I know that "WE" as members of this forum have a huge advantage over anyone or any entity to accomplish a goal such as this. Being the "consumer" and designing the station from the ground upwards might prove to be an enormous benefit.

Maybe not this year and maybe not in the next five years, but if we keep this dialogue up, we might make something happen eventually.

If I could do some sort of a poll, regarding support of this activity, how would we go about this on this forum to determine how much, how many numbers of people would support this station? As many have said, I basically need a "plan" and some "ammo".

Do you think that any of the DN and DirecTV members would support this? How about others folks from other FTA sites? How would we recruit them for support? Can't have any hackers, of course (I mean pirates). I would see that as a detriment to the overall cause and this must be a legitimate enterprise with the blessing of all.

Gordy

Last edited:
I am not sure if this person will be interested much, but I have a good feeling from hearing him talk on Coast-To-Coast Wednesday night/Thursday morning early. I caught the tail end of this am radio talk show (Coast-to-Coast). I couldn't get in to speak to him directly on air, but I sent an email and am eagerly waiting for a response.

I doubt that anyone would ever guess who this person is, so I will just tell you his name. Dan Akroyd. He was a guest on the show for several hours and I missed all but the tail end of it.

I submitted my phone number, email address and a very brief explanation of what I was pondering via an email to the show's host, George Noory.

Maybe if Mr. Akroyd or Mr. Noory are interested, they will send me a reply. They would be great spokespersons for the channel and bring in an audience. I don't know how many of you are familiar with Art Bell, but I requested an input from him as well. He and George would be great to introduce shows of Sci-Fi nature.

Gordy

I accept with information:The mechanics of the start-up could be made up of eBay purchases and housed in garage, but to remain a viable venture, it needs a business model to generate reoccurring dollars to introduce fresh and desirable content and should consider having a staff to generate playout, purchase content, market the product (consider the LPTV stations and dot two digital sub channels), sell ad avails.

Last edited by a moderator:
> From my contact through Intelsat, I have found that lease for one channel on a C-Band sat would currently run $25,000/month with a three year contract. This is actually a little more than expected as it calculates out to about $35/hour.

$35 an hour seems cheap. If a company could sell advertising at least the air time would be paid for.

Thanks for doing the research.

$35 does sound cheap. That's comparable to what it would cost to lease time on a shortwave station for ~5kHz of mono! (Although you probably wouldn't need a 3-year contract.)

FTA reciever makers don't sell a lot of boxes because of the limited programming that is available. How many different makers are there? Several? If they all combined ther resourses together with what you are talking about here, and help create a market for their own product there sales would skyrocket. They would then have to compete with each other on who made the the best box. We would all win. FTA for all! I believe if this could actually happen, and run right , the pay sats would be in serious trouble, not mentioning any names of course. I may be wrong, but I'd bet you'd have a fight on your hands if tried. Some companies feel like they own the sky over your head. See what happens if tried to make it free! Something to think about. If I was owner of a company making the recievers, I'd jump at it. I was just thinking out loud. My 2cts. Rogers(aka 1206):angel:

.... I caught the tail end of this am radio talk show (Coast-to-Coast). I couldn't get in to speak to him directly on air, but I sent an email and am eagerly waiting for a response. ...

What's the idea or proposal here? Marketing Sci-Fi content to Coast-to-Coast listeners, doing a Coast-to-Coast channel, or what?

Leo Laporte from the old Tech tv would be interested in this and FTA in general. Might even know some venture capital type guys

Leo Laporte from the old Tech tv would be interested in this and FTA in general. Might even know some venture capital type guys

This all sounds like a great idea, count me in. Keep this project going RADAR!

I have peaked my nephew's interest in this project now. He has some ideas that we are going to investigate which, under the guise of a HAM RADIO Operator's License, we might have a lower cost avenue to pursue. I will be speaking with him more about this in the next few days to evaluate this, but it sounds a bit more promising for a start-up venture.

I will have to wait and see as this is just an idea tossed out in a conversation. There might be a good potential for a starting point here.

Gordy

What's the idea or proposal here? Marketing Sci-Fi content to Coast-to-Coast listeners, doing a Coast-to-Coast channel, or what?

Guapo,

I was thinking of some sort of a mutual benefit here. Maybe trying to convince Art Bell or Dan Akroyd to do some opening promo (short commercial) for a sci-fi show like the Twilight Zone on this proposed sat TV station and possibly airing the Coast - to - Coast talk show on a radio feed in exchange for them advertising on their show.

I basically wanted to ask them if they would have any interest at all.

Just thinking out loud on that one and kicking around more ideas and seeking possible support.

Gordy

Leo Laporte

I listen to Leo Laporte all the time on The TWiT Netcast Network with Leo Laporte this guy would be a good person to help out on this, he knows allot of top brass in the Tech sector, he loves technology, runs his own Podcast studio with off the shelf gear. :up

I have peaked my nephew's interest in this project now. He has some ideas that we are going to investigate which, under the guise of a HAM RADIO Operator's License, we might have a lower cost avenue to pursue. I will be speaking with him more about this in the next few days to evaluate this, but it sounds a bit more promising for a start-up venture.

I will have to wait and see as this is just an idea tossed out in a conversation. There might be a good potential for a starting point here.

Gordy

i'm in... (lets launch our own satellite and charge others to use it, never liked the idea of renting, anyone have a rocket?).

Now you have some spin offs from TechTV like Leo's Twitt.TV 'which is really not a TV show" and Revision3 which is has allot of good shows like Tekzilla, but all these are more like video podcast shows. We need a 24/7 Tech Live channel. A CNN of Technology.

All of this Leo Laporte talk reminds me of TechTV.

I really miss TechTV.

Comcast really butchered it.

RIP TechTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)