new speed coming ahead :]

razor, Insider and I are at peace. Never were at war--each just trying to get the other to see their point.

The conversation had to do with speed, as is the topic, but it did drift on an angle. Bring us back to the main intent you intended.

razor, Insider and I are at peace. Never were at war--each just trying to get the other to see their point.

The conversation had to do with speed, as is the topic, but it did drift on an angle. Bring us back to the main intent you intended.

its all good, once again idc. you guys do not and never have bothered me... just stated my opinion as well that's all...

I can try. but i have no new material to share at this second besides wondering all SO MANY reader's speeds that don't post lol.

These speedtest sites are having a very hard time dealing with these higher level speeds so many of them are showing 15-20Mbps speeds. However the Tampa Bay Road Runner speed test site is clocking my connection at around 38Mbps when I don't use my current Trendnet router. When using my Trendnet router my speeds drop to about 25Mbps. My router is a bit old and quite often stops working and gets very slow until I reboot it. I'm not sure if this router is even high quality enough to handle these types of speeds with large file downloads.

Because of this I'm using my birthday Best Buy giftcard to buy a high quality router most likely a Linksys unless anybody has a better just as high quality if not better alternative.

Check out the Netgear WNDR-3700. It's getting very good reviews. Whatever you do, avoid the DGL-4500 by dlink. Recently since they jumped to firmware 1.2x or higher, what was a good router is having many issues. The biggest problem is once you are at 1.2, there is no way you can downgrade to 1.15. I know because I'm stuck at 1.21B8 trying to help them diagnose some of the issues.

I upgraded to the RR turbo plus or whatever they call it now, after I received an email about it last week. I had the 15 MB and the email said for $5 it was getting bumped up to 20 MB. I consistently get 20-21 with up to 30 with the boost. I'm in Palm Bay with Cfl BHN.

Those of you who are reporting these >10Mbps speeds...what kBps download rate for saving file on computer do you USUALLY get when downloading a file (not the web page itself) using your browser?

This is the number reported in the dialog box during the download process.

Those of you who are reporting these >10Mbps speeds...what kBps download rate for saving file on computer do you USUALLY get when downloading a file (not the web page itself) using your browser?

This is the number reported in the dialog box during the download process.

averages on the highest is 1.3 MB/sec depending on site.

I didn't mean the highest...I should have said "typical."

That is interesting though. I show 10-12 Mbps speeds usually at the test sites, but on downloads, I range from 50-300MBps [LATER: correction: KBps], with 150-250MBps [LATER: correction: KBps] being typical.

Last edited:
I upgraded to the RR turbo plus or whatever they call it now, after I received an email about it last week. I had the 15 MB and the email said for $5 it was getting bumped up to 20 MB. I consistently get 20-21 with up to 30 with the boost. I'm in Palm Bay with Cfl BHN.

i received both an email and a card in the mail about the speed increase but both said the additional cost is $15.

I didn't mean the highest...I should have said "typical."

That is interesting though. I show 10-12 Mbps speeds usually at the test sites, but on downloads, I range from 50-300MBps, with 150-250MBps being typical.

im confused.. How could you be seeing speeks in the 250Mbit range when the highest nic card in the cable modems is 100mbit...

im confused.. How could you be seeing speeks in the 250Mbit range when the highest nic card in the cable modems is 100mbit...
I erred when writing...It is not Mbit in the download dialog boxes; it is KBps, kiloBYTEs per second.

Cable advertises megaBITS per second; download indicators are almost universally shown as kiloBYTES per second. Would be nice if they were the same, but they are not.

As to whether they are accurate or not, they are what is shown to me. I am not computing them. The speedtest site shows the speedtest result, and the browser download dialog shows the bytes per second of the download. I am just reporting them.

If 10Mbps should be 1.3MBps, and I am getting 150-250KBps (typical), then I wonder where the slowdown is coming from--and that was the reason for the question initially anyway. I thought I should be seeing higher download speeds.

The same computer is doing both tests, and the same browser is being used, so what the ______??????

Last edited:
If your only getting 150to250KB/s you have a problem some where..

You should be over 1000,KBS (Figure 1MB/s is 1024KB/s)

Figure there are roughly 8BITS in every BYTE so just divide by 8.

10Mbit is 1250/KBs

I agree. I just can't figure where to look for the problem, since in both the speedtest and the download, the traffic is going through the same router (mine in the house, I mean), the same computer, and the same browser. So, how could it be consistently so different?

Is the speedtest using a different protocol to deliver the test file transfer than a browser file download does? That's the only way I can see to account for a difference--like one is http and one is ftp, or something like that going on.

I agree. I just can't figure where to look for the problem, since in both the speedtest and the download, the traffic is going through the same router (mine in the house, I mean), the same computer, and the same browser. So, how could it be consistently so different?

Is the speedtest using a different protocol to deliver the test file transfer than a browser file download does? That's the only way I can see to account for a difference--like one is http and one is ftp, or something like that going on.

have you tried testing without the router? pc with Ethernet directly to modem?

SpeedGuide.net :: TCP Optimizer / Downloads

try the link, click on tcp optimizer.

super small download. and doesn't even really install. when u get the box, click optimized settings, make sure CHANGE SETTINGS on all network cards/ and have the slider all the way to 20.

save and restart. no need to back up.

re test*

let us kno whats up

also go to your modems ip and check if your signal levels are correct from cable company.

Have not tried direct to modem, but since the speedtest results are fine going through the router, I don't think it is the home router causing it.

I ran the SG_Vista_TcpIp_patch.cmd file from the linked site. We'll see. Hope that didn't mess anything up.

The TCP Optimizer you referenced does not apply to Vista!!!

LATER: Tried a dl of Avira Antivir from download.com, 29MB file. It was showing rates from upper 60's to low 80's KB/sec over the first minute, then I canceled. Looks like I have lost speed.

Have not tried direct to modem, but since the speedtest results are fine going through the router, I don't think it is the home router causing it.

I ran the SG_Vista_TcpIp_patch.cmd file from the linked site. We'll see. Hope that didn't mess anything up.

The TCP Optimizer you referenced does not apply to Vista!!!

LATER: Tried a dl of Avira Antivir from download.com, 29MB file. It was showing rates from upper 60's to low 80's KB/sec over the first minute, then I canceled. Looks like I have lost speed.

that is because they never updated link as u can see last edited was 2006, but yes it does work with vista and 7! tested and proven, but idk if you read. but there is a version for vista. thought i never noticed any difference, so i just like using original lil program.

does not mess up anything, just try it.

Is there somewhere on their site where they say it is OK for Vista?

(The IP stack is Vista is TOTALLY DIFFERENT from previous MS OS's.)

LATER...indeed, from their FAQ:
31. Does the Optimizer work under Vista/Windows 7 ?
spacer_01.gif
No, Windows Vista/7 introduces many changes to TCP/IP, and the current version of the TCP Optimizer is not designed to work with it since thoe operating systems do not support direct settings for the TCP Window.

Still, there are a number of tweakable options described in our Vista TCP/IP tweaking article for manual tweaking.

We also offer an automatic Vista TCP/IP Patch in the download section of the site to tweak your broadband intenet connection under those Operating systems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts