new speed coming ahead :]

Is there somewhere on their site where they say it is OK for Vista?

(The IP stack is Vista is TOTALLY DIFFERENT from previous MS OS's.)

LATER...indeed, from their FAQ:
31. Does the Optimizer work under Vista/Windows 7 ?
spacer_01.gif
No, Windows Vista/7 introduces many changes to TCP/IP, and the current version of the TCP Optimizer is not designed to work with it since thoe operating systems do not support direct settings for the TCP Window.

Still, there are a number of tweakable options described in our Vista TCP/IP tweaking article for manual tweaking.

We also offer an automatic Vista TCP/IP Patch in the download section of the site to tweak your broadband intenet connection under those Operating systems.

geez my words mean nothing don't they? i kno all of that already, i swear to u it does.

it does not JUST change tcp ip changes.

try it, u notice no change then erase it and go on with your life lol.

I may have solved the issue. I looked at Gizmos Best freeware
Gizmo's Freeware Reviews
for download managers. He recommended GigaGET, which I installed.

A repeat attempt at Avira Antivir was in the 1.6-1.7 Mb?B?ps rate. Tried again, and got 700-900 kBps. Whoooeeee! These are speeds I have never seen before.

No final judgment here, but it looks like the download manager has a tremendous effect on one's speed.

This also indicates it is not the TCP/IP stack or the router causing the slowness.

Well, OTOH, maybe not. Just tried a large file from MS downloads, and got around 100kBps--consistent with what I was seeing before.

More reading leads me to believe that one of Gigaget's methods is to open connections to multiple sites to get the requested file.

I suspect MS stuff is available only from them, so with the single download point, the speed was just as before.

Well, OTOH, maybe not. Just tried a large file from MS downloads, and got around 100kBps--consistent with what I was seeing before.

More reading leads me to believe that one of Gigaget's methods is to open connections to multiple sites to get the requested file.

I suspect MS stuff is available only from them, so with the single download point, the speed was just as before.

lol I could have told you that program would not fix your problem, but i dint bothered.

have you tried my method?

I have not run the program you mentioned, which site says is for up to XP. I did read your assurance that it is OK for Vista, but please don't be insulted...it is such a simple change for the site to add Vista to the list of "works with" OS's, and they have not done so--that gives me pause.

I understand you have not had a problem with using it. That doesn't mean I wouldn't. I just can't comprehend them failing to say so since it would open up to thousands of additional people. It just doen't make sense. That leads me to believe there may be incompatibilities.

Vista's TCP/IP is a complete and total re-write from that used in XP. Any kind of tuning would have to be VERY different. So the program would have to detect the OS and internally run very different processes. That they would go to that trouble--to make such extensive changes to the product, then not announce it on the site, is incomprehensible.

The GigaGET program has helped immensely--just not on every download.

Last edited:
A good way you are headed...

There are two linux machines on the router--a laptop (wanna buy it?) and a tower, and another Vista laptop. None are ever used for downloads, except for ubuntu and Windows updates.

The linux machines' updates, as I recall, have presented highly variable rates, from the 10's to the high hundreds, 800 to 1000. Don't know about the Windows updates, because the MS dialog does not show the dl rate.

However, as before, I don't think it is the network equipment due to the speedtest results--unless there is a protocol issue (slow on one type of dl, fast on another...e.g., http vs. ftp, or TCP vs. UDP).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)