Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
This moring Wilt posted to the Yahoo group about who will get a new Dish which can view the second satellite which goes into operation in March.

If I am reading between the lines here it almost seems as though the get the channels on the second satellite and get the updated Dish we will need to upgrade out programming tier to a new tier.

I do hope I am reading between the lines correctly, is anyone else seeing this?

It's going to be an interesting CES next week.

Well, likely not correct.

If services are put on the other bird, and they're meant to be part of the
service, either this level or a newer one, then, by definition, unless one
already has a multisat dish-pointed properly-- it will be necessary to get
another dish-multisat or single-to "see it.

I think some of the stuff here may be because some/all of the lineups
aren't done yet so it's difficult to say what will trigger the need or if
you'll need one to just keep your existing level of service, etc.

Best advice I can give right now is just hang in there, you'll all hear
about it soon enough when it's ready

Yep, that's how I read it. Maybe basic VOOM, RSNs and PPV will be placed on 61.5 and perhaps premium channels will be placed on 72. Maybe they will break out the programming packages to match what we have always seen on out monthly billing statement:

VOOM
Marquee HD
Cable Favorites
SPORTS
HBO Pluspack
SHOWTIME Unlimited Pluspack
Cinemax PlusPack
STARZ! PlusPack

I guess I see more programming options other than VOOM, VA VA VOOM and the PlusPacks. There is no telling what CableVision has in store for us, but it would certainly be nice if the hard-hitting Staff at SatelliteGuys were to provide answers to the hard questions:

1. Are you selling VOOM or what?
2. Now that Santa has departed...when is the DVR coming to town?
3. How much is that DVR in the window? (Ok, I'm not that funny...shoot me!)
4. Elliptical dish?
5. What new HD channels are under contract/under negotiation/coming in March?
6. What is the status of the new encoders?
7. Has VOOM finalized MPEG-4 plans?

It seems VOOM has different options here. Let's see what's most likely coming: PPV, Regional Sports Networks - are very likely candidates. To minimize the number of dish upgrades, VOOM may put channels that are not used by everyone on the new bird. Perhaps even move some of the current premium channels there. This way, depending on your current package, you may or may not need the new dish, at least initially.

riffjim4069 said:
1. Are you selling VOOM or what?
2. Now that Santa has departed...when is the DVR coming to town?
3. How much is that DVR in the window? (Ok, I'm not that funny...shoot me!)
4. Elliptical dish?
5. What new HD channels are under contract/under negotiation/coming in March?
6. What is the status of the new encoders?
7. Has VOOM finalized MPEG-4 plans?

CES 2005 will answer some of these questions and leave unanswered others. Hopefully, 2 & 3. 4 will be answered soon (before March 2005 :) [just kidding]), 6 & 7 will depend a lot of 2,3, and 4 all are interconnected. The development of 2-4 will drive 6-7. I think I have said enough!

I hope they wouldn't move any existing channels, because I think that would be foolish financially. They would force many more multisat dishes to be installed than they would by just leaving the current lineup alone for now. I'd rather see the RSNs, PPV, etc; on the new bird.

As for a new tier, I'm not sure I read it the same way as you. It jsut sounded to me like he was saying you might need a new dish based on your current tier if they change the lineups.

Ilya said:
It seems VOOM has different options here. Let's see what's most likely coming: PPV, Regional Sports Networks - are very likely candidates. To minimize the number of dish upgrades, VOOM may put channels that are not used by everyone on the new bird. Perhaps even move some of the current premium channels there. This way, depending on your current package, you may or may not need the new dish, at least initially.
Based on this poll taken in July, http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=21870 almost 75% of forum members subscribe to at least one PlusPack (more than 50% VA VA VOOM and perhaps PlayboyHD). Based on these numbers, it doesn't look like they'll get much benefit with sticking with the 18' dish. Does VOOM post subscriber numbers for their programming packages?

July has been quite a while. I wonder if we should take another poll. :confused:

If most of the premium movie channels are moved to "Rainbow 2", then Voom gains enough capacity on Rainbow 1 to add the regional sports nets and offer several HD PPV channels.

They can keep the "Voom" package offering, RSN, several PPV, Playboy, and HBO for instance on Rainbow 1. (or some combination along this line, depending on how many new channels they plan to add to the basic Voom lineup) This would probably allow many current customers to stay with the existing dish, and would keep the new elliptical installs under control.

Once they add the new channels, it would make sense for them to offer a new programming tier or two, and maybe some additional ala carte options.

Any idea what percentage of current customers have the "basic" Voom package versus Va Va Voom?

- jame

I think it would be smart to put all the Va Va Voom channels on the new bird so only the Va Va Voomers would need the new dish.... of course all the new SD will screw that up.

Im still praying to the Voom gods we see all distant networks added.

Existing customers should all be slowly upgraded to the new dish over the next couple of months.

jimmykce1 said:
Existing customers should all be slowly upgraded to the new dish over the next couple of months.

Is that a known fact or are you just giving VOOM a suggestion?

jimmykce1 said:

It's going to take more than a couple of months to upgrade 25,000 or so subs.
There's only 5000 dishes even available from what I've seen.
Still waiting on that first pic of one as well.

A month or so ago, in the Food Network and HGTV press release, they stated:
'DIY, FINE LIVING and GAC will join the lineup on Rainbow 2'.
IMHO, those channels shouldn't be a different tier as Food and HGTV.
Thus, shouldn't we all get a new dish? Or are they already shuffling all the channels around and will those be on Rainbow 1?

When E* added their second bird back in 98/99, when they went to their Dish 500 shape dish so they could see both 110/119, they put all the new channels on the new bird so you had to get the bigger dish for the new channels ( and pay more), but then they started to move things around because of locals, so a lot of channels were on both slots until they got everyone upgraded that wanted to be upgraded, but it took a few years.

Maybe Voom will do it the same way, maybe they won't?

bruce said:
...they went to their Dish 500 shape dish so they could see both 110/119, they put all the new channels on the new bird so you had to get the bigger dish....

You're right. I now remember that....

MarcelV said:
A month or so ago, in the Food Network and HGTV press release, they stated:
'DIY, FINE LIVING and GAC will join the lineup on Rainbow 2'.
IMHO, those channels shouldn't be a different tier as Food and HGTV.
Thus, shouldn't we all get a new dish? Or are they already shuffling all the channels around and will those be on Rainbow 1?

Using D* and E* as an example, DIY and GAC are not part of their lowest tier. For E* they are included in the highest tier and for D* they are in the middle tier. But Food and HGTV are in the lowest tier for both.

No telling what Voom will really do, but I doubt all the new channels they claim they will add in March will end up in the base package. And who knows for sure if they will try to shuffle around programming among the two satellites. All packages may require the elliptical dish for all we know at this point.

I hope they keep Playboy-HD on Rainbow 1. That and Showtime are the only premiums I subscribe to. I would hate to have to get the new dish just for Playboy-HD. Showtime I could live without.

Was going to read more posts but just read more...

Fox Sports FL and Sunshine Network are working

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts