Status
Please reply by conversation.

Noogie2

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 24, 2016
Albany, NY
This has been very helpful to me. I am also new and had questions but didn't know if I should piggyback off of this thread or start a new one. Guess I'll ask the question and start a new thread if that's what people would prefer to keep topics separated.

I am looking for a motorized setup that would be able to do C-Band and KU and I wanted input. If two dishes are the way to go, I'm ok with that. I'm not looking to buy junk either. I would rather spend the money up front for something that will last instead of buying cheap and growing to hate the hobby.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys Noogie2!!!

I moved your post off to its own thread.

My personal preference is 2 separate dishes. This way I don't have to compromise anything.

Welcome to Satellite Guys! :welcome Although it can be done on a single dish my personal choice is a separate motorized dish for each. When I tried both on one I found that when I got the C band 'just right' the KU was off and vice-versa. Just my opinion for what it's worth. :rolleyes:

Reactions: RT-Cat and iBoston
Welcome aboard! These are my recommendations :

• Minimum 10 foot Cband Dish.
  • Minimum 1.2m (4 foot) KU Dish. - If i was going to do it over, i would get a dedicated 6 foot polar mount solid KU dish, and not an offset dish. I have had too many issues with the USALS motor. Others might chime in on this thought.
  • Titanium Dish Mover.
  • Venture Maxiball Actuator

Thank you for the recommendations so far! I'm keeping an eye out for an old 10' C-Band dish. No sense in buying a new one when someone has one rotting on their property.

Any suggestions on a 1.2m KU that would work well with what iBoston suggested? Forgive my ignorance, but will the motorized setup suggested be capable of moving the dish to any position in the sky at my latitude or just a certain arc?

Also, I have a large blacktop pad on my property (just moved here) that is close to the house. No idea what they used it for... BUT, it's a great spot for dishes. How far can I run a cable without significant signal loss? The pad and my living room are on opposite sides of the house.

I've got C and Ky on one dish. But not in the conventional way. How I made a C BUD work on Ku
Some are able to use a BUD on C and Ku but it takes a BUD that's really designed for it, with small holes in the mesh or, preferably, solid or perforated metal.
If you want to move your BUD from one horizon to the other look for whats called an HtoH (Horizon to Horizon) mount. Most utilize an (linear) actuator and would probably serve you well. Mine covers 100’ azimuth of the available arc here. (139W to 55W) Check www.sathint.com for 'what's available' and www.dishpointer.com to see what your azimuth requirement would be.
If a 1.2 on a motor is desired, the motor to get is a STAB HH120. Can be found on 'bay but beware. some may not be the ''real thing' but a Chinese clone. Make sure it is real, made in Italy. And the seller will honor the factory warranty.
FWIW: I'd love to put one of my 1.2 meter dishes on a HtoH polar mount. (C band BUD style)

Not sure if they sell non USALS 4ft dishes. I think you will have to opt for a 6ft to get the polar mount. I've noticed some pretty good prices on Ebay : Example

http://www.ebay.com/itm/165-CM-PRIM...H-ANTENNA-1-65-Meter-W-POLE-FTA-/221967179048

Ps. Regarding the above link, it says POLE, but the pictures show a ground mount. If your interested in that item, i would make sure you are getting a polar mount with that item that you can hook an actuator onto.

If you want to go the USALS route, i suggest the geosatpro 1.2m and the HH120 USALS. But, i have had issues with them, and am not happy with that setup. It requires constant attention.

Yes, any polar mount dish or usals dish can scan the geostationary orbit satellites. I can scan and hit all the satellites from 20w - 139w on my cband dish. Most peoples limitations are line of site issues (trees, houses, etc) Use www.dishpointer.com as previously suggested to find the perfect place to put your dish. You mark a location and then make sure there are no line of site issues for all the satellites.

Ok, I've decided to take one thing at a time. I'll go with KU first. Again thanks everyone for dealing with my numerous questions.

The list as of now is:
  • The dish as suggested by iBoston
  • The Titanium mover
  • Linkbox 9000i receiver. (Good or Bad?)
I don't know what specs I will need for the actuator so I could use a link for that but I will go with the one suggested.

What's a great LNB right now? Do I need to get two different ones for polarity to maximize what I get on KU or is there a combo unit? Should I get a specific one if I want to start paying for content down the road?

It also looks as though I will be going with RG11 cable I have over 100 ft to cover. Any problems there?

LNBF for a prime focus dish http://www.satelliteav.com/p/shop/?ws_pid=665&ws_cat=433 Don't know of another source for Prime focus LNBF's.
For MAX Performance use a Ku OMT fitted to a prime focus scalar (Hard to find CONUS & usually $$$) with two LNB's with a multiswitch.
But other options are for C and Ku: Bullseye II (2 C and 2 Ku LNB's and Multiswitch) or Corotor II Plus (1 C and 1 Ku LNB [polarity servo])
For Ku only, a Ku Wideband Polarotor (1 Ku LNB [servo])
[The ASC-1 operates the polarity servos]
http://www.chaparral.net/store/

Probably overkill on a six foot dish, but if you get an 24 inch, put it on the 10 ft BUD in the future. Venture MAXI Ball screw Actuator,
Didn't see them for sale anywhere in a google search.
An 18 inch stroke Powertech HARL actuator or PMA would probably be OK on a 6 ft. Amazon & ebay have listings.
Linkbox 9000i, haven't heard a bad word on it.

Reactions: iBoston
This side of the pond mostly GI-209P LNBs for PFA are used. They come in a set of star-bracket. Price is 10EUR. If somebody needs it, I could mail one. Shipping would probably cost another 10 EUR or so. IMG_20160728_125456 (Custom).jpg IMG_20160728_125524 (Custom).jpg

So if I got the SL1P model LNBF (The one FaT Air linked but I cant due to spam filter block) would I have to worry about polarization or would I be able to get everything KU in North America both Horizontal and Vertical?

Also, could I please get an idiots guide as to what a polarity servo does and if I would need one? Thanks again everyone!

Ok, I've decided to take one thing at a time. I'll go with KU first. Again thanks everyone for dealing with my numerous questions.

The list as of now is:
  • The dish as suggested by iBoston
  • The Titanium mover
  • Linkbox 9000i receiver. (Good or Bad?)
I don't know what specs I will need for the actuator so I could use a link for that but I will go with the one suggested.

What's a great LNB right now? Do I need to get two different ones for polarity to maximize what I get on KU or is there a combo unit? Should I get a specific one if I want to start paying for content down the road?

It also looks as though I will be going with RG11 cable I have over 100 ft to cover. Any problems there?
Welcome to the fun world of FTA Noogie...Did you purchase the six foot six panel dish recommended in post #8 ? Stay away from that dish!...Stamped steel garbage!!..Much better off finding a commercial Ch Master,Prodelin,Andrews 1.2 or 1.8 and set it up with a polar mount and a nice Venture ( MADE IN USA OHIO ) ballscrew actuator...For an LNB I am very happy with the Invacom Quattro..From what you have wrote I see quality is important and with these higher modulation feeds 16 and 32 APSK Ur best bet is a commercial dish.

Last edited:
Welcome to the fun world of FTA Noogie...Did you purchase the six foot six panel dish recommended in post #8 ? Stay away from that dish!

I did not buy that dish! I was still looking at other options. I can't find a Channel Master, Prodelin, or Andrews. Let me rephrase, I cannot find a 10ft+ QUALITY brand dish as it appears that I have to pull a permit to install a dish so my priority has shifted to getting a single large dish for C-band and KU and doing one big install.

I was thinking of something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/240cm-10ft-...646951?hash=item4d47c61a27:g:EKgAAOSwdzVXkymJ and then changing out the parts or contacting the seller and creating my own package and adding a Venture actuator and Titanium mover. The only down side is that I don't know if that dish is good or not nor do I know if that receiver is worth it. Additionally, I think I have to go with a metal mesh dish as I get a lot of wind where I am.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)