New update with HDR causing picture issues

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JGD9

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2017
MO
I got the new guide update with HDR functionality the other day. Last night I tried watching the Wisconsin basketball game in 4K and noticed the picture was extremely washed out. When I brought up the guide, it too was extremely dim and washed out. Messing with the picture settings did little to help.

My guess is this has something to do with how my TV is receiving the HDR signal from the C61K. I know the tv is receding an hdr signal from the C61k because it came up with an “HLGHDR” notification on my screen.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue after receiving the upgrade and if you have any suggestions on how to fix it.

Current equipment: LG OLED 55 in (2016) (OLED55B6P) connected to C61K Genie mini which is connected to Genie 2.

I get HDR content through the on board LG apps (Netflix and Amazon) and haven’t had this issue. I also have an Xbox One S hooked up to my tv and have never had this trouble running HDR content on it.

I think it is a bug.. Directv has never indicated they were supporting HLG I got the game last night also on on my JS8500 and it looked fine

I think it is a bug.. Directv has never indicated they were supporting HLG I got the game last night also on on my JS8500 and it looked fine

Could be a bug. Never having seen the HLG notification come up on my screen I did some research on it and it appears to be a format that allows for backwards compatibility with non hdr TVs, and is developed for broadcast tv. It made sense that this might be the version of HDR that Directv would utilize. But who knows?

High-def wars: How do HDR formats compare?

I got the new guide update with HDR functionality the other day. Last night I tried watching the Wisconsin basketball game in 4K and noticed the picture was extremely washed out. When I brought up the guide, it too was extremely dim and washed out. Messing with the picture settings did little to help.

My guess is this has something to do with how my TV is receiving the HDR signal from the C61K. I know the tv is receding an hdr signal from the C61k because it came up with an “HLGHDR” notification on my screen.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue after receiving the upgrade and if you have any suggestions on how to fix it.

Current equipment: LG OLED 55 in (2016) (OLED55B6P) connected to C61K Genie mini which is connected to Genie 2.

I get HDR content through the on board LG apps (Netflix and Amazon) and haven’t had this issue. I also have an Xbox One S hooked up to my tv and have never had this trouble running HDR content on it.

Suggestion- Look at your TV Manual and see if any of the HDMI ports DO NOT Support HDR and The Move your C61K HDMI Cable to that TV input and see if anything Changes

Could be a bug. Never having seen the HLG notification come up on my screen I did some research on it and it appears to be a format that allows for backwards compatibility with non hdr TVs, and is developed for broadcast tv. It made sense that this might be the version of HDR that Directv would utilize. But who knows?

High-def wars: How do HDR formats compare?

FYI here is video someone just posted where they are getting DTV 4k hlg hdr to work on an LG OLED TV. So that confirms it is HLG and that it should work. I thought I’d already went through the settings on my tv and Genie mini, but I’ll give it a go tonight again just to make sure.

Yeh Not sure.. They never said anything about supporting HLG Just HDR10... Which would suck because there is alot of 2015 UHD TV's that support HDR10 and Dolby Vision but not HLG

they could also just be testing it which is why some people have had some issues

a quick scan of the guide only shows tonights hockey game as an HDR show for the next two weeks

IMG_0962.jpg

From Sports Video Group

DirecTV’s slate of live 4K HDR events features the following:

• The Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Vegas Golden Knights today at 10 p.m. ET simulcast of NHL Network
  • The Brian Setzer Orchestra’s 14th annual “Christmas Rocks!” concert live from the Granada Theatre in Santa Barbara, CA, on Monday Dec. 18 at 8 p.m. PT simulcast on AXS TV.
  • The Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Milwaukee Bucks on Dec. 19 at 8 p.m. from NBA TV
  • Women’s college basketball University of Connecticut vs. Duquesne on Dec. 22 at 7 p.m. ET simulcasts of SNY
  • The Toronto Raptors vs. Oklahoma City Thunder on Dec. 27 at 8 p.m. ET from NBA TV
  • The annual Rose Parade live from Los Angeles on Jan. 1 at 11:00 a.m. ET simulcasts of HGTV
  • Plus more of the best NBA TV games throughout the regular season

Update: When I got home I managed to find another HDMI cable (made sure it was the latest High Speed with Ethernet). That seems to have fixed the problem. The guide still appears dim with HDR on, but neither it nor the tv picture are washed out like they were before.

Reactions: bgothard72
I show HDR in the info but not in the guide for the game tonight. Something odd is going on though. Someone else commented channel 104 was kicking there vizio info HLG mode but the content was clearly not HDR. Would be curious if someone with a TV other than a 2016 LG or Vizio is getting HLG also. The whole thing is strange as there is zero news about HLG being used in the US yet

Reactions: bgothard72
My guide does not show the HDR symbol but does show it in 4K.

Me, too. We have HR44s, you have to have the 4K client to see all this fancy stuff. We dont even see the banner for the Brian Setzer Orchestra concert in 4K, which is fine.

Me, too. We have HR44s, you have to have the 4K client to see all this fancy stuff. We dont even see the banner for the Brian Setzer Orchestra concert in 4K, which is fine.
Well, we can't add the 4K client and get the shows in 4k anyways, so why do we even see the channels in the guide ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts