New user needing advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

leifkenn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
Colorado
Hello all I am new to the forums but have been perusing them for a while.
I am wanting to get rid of my Directv service as the prices are just getting to high.
I have Had Diretv for 3 years and DishNetwork for 6 years prior to that.
I have a few questions and was hoping some one could help me with them.
1)First off I have a DirecPc dish and LNB a coolsat 5000 receiver that I am planning on using for Ku/FTA Will this work well.
2)I would like to get some Cband FTA also and was wondering what is needed.
I will be getting a 12' Dish From my Rural cable company that is going out of business in a month or so.
I currently have an 8' fiberglass dish but it has cracked and warped.
The receiver I have is a Toshiba TRX-2220.
3) What will I need to get Digital feeds from the big dish?
I live on the Plains of Colorado with an unobstructed view of the southern horizon.
Thank you.

Hello all I am new to the forums but have been perusing them for a while.
I am wanting to get rid of my Directv service as the prices are just getting to high.
I have Had Diretv for 3 years and DishNetwork for 6 years prior to that.
I have a few questions and was hoping some one could help me with them.
1)First off I have a DirecPc dish and LNB a coolsat 5000 receiver that I am planning on using for Ku/FTA Will this work well.
2)I would like to get some Cband FTA also and was wondering what is needed.
I will be getting a 12' Dish From my Rural cable company that is going out of business in a month or so.
I currently have an 8' fiberglass dish but it has cracked and warped.
The receiver I have is a Toshiba TRX-2220.
3) What will I need to get Digital feeds from the big dish?
I live on the Plains of Colorado with an unobstructed view of the southern horizon.
Thank you.

welcome leifkenn,

1.) I'm not sure what that "DirecPc" dish is but you need a minimum of 30", and bigger (36"-39") than that is usually better. The Coolsat 5000 will work fine.

2.) For good C-band reception you typically need at least a 6' dish. You can use the Toshiba to move your dish, and to change LNB polarity if you have a servo-style feed. Sounds like that 8' fiber dish is junk, but if it has any electronics/actuator/mount, they would be probably be worth salvaging.

3.) To get digital feeds you'll need a DVB receiver, you could slave it with your Toshiba for a digital/analog combo setup, but there's not much analog stuff left up there.

There's a chance whatever LNB/feedhorn assembly that is already on that 12' dish may work for digital, just depends on what it is.

With your southern exposure sounds like you will have excellent LOS (line-of-sight) and should be able to "see" most of the Clarke Belt that is visible from your location.

The List will give you a good idea of what you may find for true FTA viewing on C & Ku-band:

SatelliteGuys.US - TheList

Lyngsat will show you what satellites are up there, what channels they have and tons of tech info:

North & South America - LyngSat

The sponsors at the top of the page have everything you might need if you need to buy something, tons of info in the "sticky" threads at the tops of all the FTA forums, and lots of people here that really know their stuff and will try to help you any way they can.

Get some pics of that 12 footer and post them here if you can! :)

The Direcpc Dish looks like this. Picture Attached
I will get a picture of the Big Dish when I can.

Thank you.

Attachments

• dgraydish_188x233[1].jpg
    dgraydish_188x233[1].jpg
    9 KB · Views: 174
Your direcpc dish should work just fine for most fta, but may be a bit small for some of the weaker signals. I have a direcway (just a later name for it, dish is white fiberglass) that I started out with , it is a pain to aim the monster but did a pretty good job on fta. The lnbf attached is linear, and should be ok for free to air, can even stick it on a bigger dish if you find one someplace. Lots of us grab these old primestar dishes, they're usually given away for the asking, work great for fta too..

Thank you all I really look forward to getting this setup.
One other question is what in your opinion would be the best bird to start off with.
Number of channels and the such.

Another question.
Can I use my Coolsat 5000 with both BUD and Ku/band dishes and if so how do I hook it up.
Do I need a splitter or a switch to connect the 2 dishes together.
Thanks again

Another question.
Can I use my Coolsat 5000 with both BUD and Ku/band dishes and if so how do I hook it up.
Do I need a splitter or a switch to connect the 2 dishes together.
Thanks again

Have you decided how you are going to move your BUD yet (analog reciever....G or V-Box)?

You can certainly use your CS 5000 to do what you are talking about but more info is required.

Have you decided how you are going to move your BUD yet (analog reciever....G or V-Box)?

You can certainly use your CS 5000 to do what you are talking about but more info is required.
Yes I have sorry.
At this point I will Probably move it with my Trx-4220 Receiver . If I can ever find the remote.
So the setup will be.
1 Bud 12 ft and a Direcpc dish "30"
So I will be wanting to get both C-band DVB FTA and Ku FTA

Last edited:
Thanks Guys
I have it set to Galaxy18 and My CoolSat 5000 is scanning all of the channels.
I am getting 89% quality

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)