new viewsat max hd

Status
Please reply by conversation.

babcea

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
N.Florida
has anyone seen this new receiver from viewsat,it says it does dvb s2,but of course no blind scan.I dont know how to copy the info but you can go to the viewsat site and read it.

I took a read through the specs, and came away with these thoughts:

- there are three models; Lite, Platinum, & Xtreme
- doesn't say it'll blind scan... :(
- no 4:2:2 support
- says it's S2 compliant, but none of the specs detail such support
- no ATSC tuner for local OTA reception
- no mention of hard drive support for PVR functionality (USB supports firmware upgrade)
- photo may show HDMI connector, but it's not listed in specs
- component output only listed for Xtreme model

these are really nice -..
- Input Voltage: AC 95V~240v 50Hz / 60Hz
- LNB Power Supply: 13V/18V, Max 500mA with Short Circuit Protection
- DiSEqC: 1.0 , 1.1, 1.2, USALS(1.3) Compatible

Now, maybe I read some of 'em wrong.
Else, I don't really see any market for the box (well, other than that!) - :D

Let's just say that the specs don't say much at all.
Maybe when the product is available, we'll learn what it'll actually do.

more

lite, platinum and extreme were older models mr lizard , hehe
You're right about the rest tho, DVB S2-compliant is all I found too.
Also says Auto Scan, not blind scan.
I think that one is more promise-ware like the Passion!

I've had nothing but problems with my Viewsat VS-Pro. I don't think I'd ever buy anything from them again. But that's just me.

Have to second that TRG, almost 2yrs with the Ultra before they finally put out firmware that would allow the AC-3 to work right. But, besides that, the tuner in this over-rated box isn't that sensitive. I'd have to say it was a little above average in overall features, but not much lol. The menus are great though, very well thought out.

Viewsat DOES list blind scan as well as auto scan in the manual. They posted it (the manual) on their website. It also lists auto FEC as an option for DVB-S2 QPSK AND 8PSK. That is a good sign. Now whether or not it will actually blind scan or blind scan S2, well we'll just have to wait and see.

Heck I'd be a happy man if it'd let me enter S2 from the remote like the Coolsat does, but my two Diamond's don't. :(

Ok, so who wants to be the guinea pig and buy one and tell us? Supposed to be out next week I think.

And before you get any ideas, my play money account is empty, I just picked up that second Diamond, so it won't be me.

I've got a VS 9000HD that claims that it does DVB-S2 8psk with dual tuners for DVR out of the box.

I've got a c-band LNB coming that I'm gonna be sticking on a 100cm dish to see what I get. On my list is trying out the DVB-S2 "capability".

Will report back.

I've got a VS 9000HD that claims that it does DVB-S2 8psk with dual tuners for DVR out of the box.

I've got a c-band LNB coming that I'm gonna be sticking on a 100cm dish to see what I get. On my list is trying out the DVB-S2 "capability".

Will report back.

Cband LNB on a 100 cm will get you practically nothing, especially for DVB-s2

Viewsat DOES list blind scan as well as auto scan in the manual. They posted it (the manual) on their website. It also lists auto FEC as an option for DVB-S2 QPSK AND 8PSK. That is a good sign. Now whether or not it will actually blind scan or blind scan S2, well we'll just have to wait and see.

Heck I'd be a happy man if it'd let me enter S2 from the remote like the Coolsat does, but my two Diamond's don't. :(

Ok, so who wants to be the guinea pig and buy one and tell us? Supposed to be out next week I think.

And before you get any ideas, my play money account is empty, I just picked up that second Diamond, so it won't be me.
they are already on ebay
for $329.00 & free shipping,I would love to try one but my money is short now to,if I can find something to sell I will get one.I was waiting for the cnx,but that looks like it will not happen any time soon so this may be the one for me to try.

a little OT

I've got a VS 9000HD that claims that it does DVB-S2 8psk ...
I've got a c-band LNB coming that I'm gonna be sticking on a 100cm dish to see what I get.
Yea, I'm with vfrjim on that.
Not expecting any S2 out of C-band with that size dish.
GAS once told me 6' to 10' would be required for Equity RTN.

In another thread, Stogie commented he was gettting Equity S2 on 7.5'.
I was just having a chat with Iceberg yesterday about this.
Maybe he'll try his 6' and Coolsat 8000 (?) if he gets a chance.
I have my fingers crossed.

anyone wanting to try the Viewsat MaxHD? It is now on Ebay for $329 shipped, then you can use the Live.com cashback promo and get 30% rebated after 60 days (+14 days to your paypal account) just in case someone is interested in one.

Just an FYI for those that are interested in the MaxHD box from Viewsat, I ordered one so that I can test it out especially for that price. Worst case I put it back on ebay if I do not like it but will do a review on it after I receive and test it out.

Looking at the specs for the demodulator I wonder if this isn't supposed to be the indicator that it will receive DVBS2

Demodulator
Waveform: QPSK, 8PSK
DVB-S: 2-45 Ms/s (QPSK, 10-31 Ms/s (QPSK)
Convolutional Code Rate 1/2. 2/3, 3/4, 5/6/ 7/8 DVB-S2: Auto, 1/2, 3/5, 2/3, 3/4, 4/5, 5/6, 8/9, 9/10 (QPSK)
Auto, 3/5, 2/3, 3/4, 5/6, 8/9, 9/10 (8PSK)

Just an FYI for those that are interested in the MaxHD box from Viewsat, I ordered one so that I can test it out especially for that price. Worst case I put it back on ebay if I do not like it but will do a review on it after I receive and test it out.

I look forward to your review. :hungry:

Well how does the blind scan work with DVB-S2 birds?
Thanks for your time.
:D

Well how does the blind scan work with DVB-S2 birds?
Thanks for your time.
:D

If it's anything like the 9000HD, it's non-existent.

He hit the nail on the head, it basically does not work. Put it this way, I could find more channels if I put a blind fold on and press random numbers on the remote.

I never posted a review because it was not worth doing and do not recommend it to any FTA'er, it was not made for us.

Viewsat continues to ignore FTAers

He hit the nail on the head, it basically does not work. Put it this way, I could find more channels if I put a blind fold on and press random numbers on the remote.

I never posted a review because it was not worth doing and do not recommend it to any FTA'er, it was not made for us.
I knew this was coming when I saw you posted it for sale on eBay.
Just didn't want to say anything in public 'till it was gone.

Hope you didn't lose anything for your trouble.
Do appreciate you giving it a try, though.

Guess Viewsat continues to be the leader in their field.
Too bad it's not FTA.

Thanks again for taking one for the team. :cool:

has anyone seen this new receiver from viewsat,it says it does dvb s2,but of course no blind scan.I dont know how to copy the info but you can go to the viewsat site and read it.

I've had one since Oct 21st. I've never tried to get anything that is dvb-s2 so don't know about that. It has a blind scan menu item but it seemed sort of hit and miss. I mostly just did scans of existing transponders and those that I added (for AMC-21 for instance).

It does have a USB PVR capability. I just tried it with a Flash thumb drive, it worked OK with SD, but couldn't keep up with PBS HD. It might just have been a slow drive, and of course hard drives are faster.

It does have HDMI output which looks great on my 42" Toshiba. Of course there is just PBS for now, maybe some of the others will convert over next year.

It does have some software bugs, off the top of my head:
1) Seems impossible to delete channels, they just get moved to the end of the list.
2) Sometimes when moving to a new satellite that thing doesn't seem to be able to find the new channel. This can be fixed by moving to a channel on a different transponder, or by just going into the Antenna Setup menu without actually doing anything there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts