New Weather Channel....

Status
Please reply by conversation.
lou_do said:
If you have OTA HD you don't miss "local on the 8's" that much. You can get NBC Weather Plus, on a digital sub channel, and it is more informative and up to date than Weather Channel's text screens are.

I have FiOS which carries the sub-channels, including 3 with weather and/or radar. I prefer the sub-channels since I can get the the weather for Dulles Airport, which is closer to where I live. Locals on the 8 and another channel from TWC that runs the same info 24/7 are for Reagon National.

There is also a "Widgets" feature, similar to the old Wink service on DirecTV, that gives the current temperature and 7 day forecast for your zip code. With that I don't even have to change the channel. The video just shrinks to about 80% of regular size and moves to the top with black borders on the sides.

It's rolling out today on dish.It got delayed earlier due to a glitch but they got it fixed.Their rolling it out to 25% of receivers today and the rest will get it at a later time.

I still like the weather on the sub channels better, I have a radar being updated just like the local news channels.

Jimbo

Are all of the receivers that do not get it showing the "will be available at a later time" or will not show anything at all on channel 100?

I don't know.My 301 and 510 both now have it on channel 100 under TWC but when I go to it it says not available yet check back soon.

I still like the weather on the sub channels better, I have a radar being updated just like the local news channels.

Jimbo

Got to agree with you on that one. Since they started NBC Weather Plus, on a digital sub channel, I don't even look at The Weather Channel anymore. NBC Weather Plus local coverage is far superior and more up to date than TWC.

Got to agree with you on that one. Since they started NBC Weather Plus, on a digital sub channel, I don't even look at The Weather Channel anymore. NBC Weather Plus local coverage is far superior and more up to date than TWC.

Where/what are the "Sub" channels? I'd like to check that out.

Where/what are the "Sub" channels? I'd like to check that out.

You get them, on some stations, when you receive an OTA digital signal. It will usually be designated with channel number - and a number. Example here in the Orlando market we have NBC Weather Plus on channel 2-2. Channel 2-1 is the NBC HD/digital local feed. But like I said you have to have an OTA antenna and make sure your local NBC station carries it. If you have E* or D* and get their local HD stations, you will only get the main channel 2-1.

You get them, on some stations, when you receive an OTA digital signal. It will usually be designated with channel number - and a number. Example here in the Orlando market we have NBC Weather Plus on channel 2-2. Channel 2-1 is the NBC HD/digital local feed. But like I said you have to have an OTA antenna and make sure your local NBC station carries it. If you have E* or D* and get their local HD stations, you will only get the main channel 2-1.

Can't wait for the OTA to be activated on that HR20!!

Can't wait for the OTA to be activated on that HR20!!

I am waiting for it also, before I switch my HR10 to the HR20. I get another 25 digital or HD channels over and above the 4 that D* gives us, with the OTA setup on my H10 and H20 receivers. Plus the OTA signal has less pixelation and less jitter than the D* MPG4 signals.

Dish emailed me and told me the remaining 75% of receivers will be turned on in 2-3 weeks.

I am hoping the locals on the 8's feature will prevent me from having to go online to get any weather information I may need. Having dialup makes it hard to get the data very quickly online and it would be great to be able to get weather information quickly if my computer is not on.

The local on the 8's on 214 is identical to what cable sees now.The only difference is that on dish you have to mash select when the banner comes up.I asked them about local on the 8's in my email and they told me all about how it works but they wouldn't give me a date.I would at least like to see it early before the interactive version on channel 100 rolls out to all receivers in 2-3 weeks.That would make the wait a little easier.I emailed the tech forum and asked them about local on the 8's.I'm hoping a lot of other people did too.Maybe they will tell when on the tech show Monday.I'm more interested in local on the 8's then I am the interactive version on 100 because of the slideshow they will show on 214 and the radar on 214 is just for your state where the one on 100 shows several states.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts