Newb eq opinion

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blazer

Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
1st adventure into fta and not looking to go in deep till see what results can be achieved, can the eq listed below be used ? and what can i expect.

2-eliptical super dish 34"x24", with
DBS stacked lnb p/n 122676
FSS stacked lnb p/n 122677
Dish Pro Digital lnbf p/n 151019

1-eliptical WNC Multi-satellite dish 18"x20" with
triple feed multi-satellite w/bilt-in multi-switch model au2-fl

2-Multi dish switch model dp34 [video path]

What reciever would be a good start for hd signal if the above eq is useable ?

my area would be the southern coastal region.

1st adventure into fta and not looking to go in deep till see what results can be achieved, can the eq listed below be used ? and what can i expect....

Googling your equipment tells me that no matter what receiver you select, it won't work with FTA, unless all them LNBs will be used for the NASA channel.

It looks like you need at least a bigger (~36") dish, and (FTA) Linear LNB.

actually the Superdish & the FSS LNB will work for FTA. The dish is on the small side but should work for the stronger signals out there

could HD signals be recieved with the eq ?, btw my general location is 39520.

What HD are you looking to get?

The two (you have two?) Superdishes could be aimed at stronger FTA satellites for some reception through their FSS LNBs.
Regular LO of 10750 , so no surprises there.
We have threads to explain the bandstacked LNBs, when you are ready for those details.

The DP34 could even be used to connect them together, and feed several receivers, but if you want to do that, we should point you to a DP34 thread for more info , first.
It's a good part, but it's Dish Network hardware, and using it for FTA is somewhat restrictive.

That last dish sounds like a DirecTV Phase III dish.
You could maybe use it as is to receive NASA and Angel One from the Dish 119 bird, but that would be best discussed in its own thread.
Luckily, we do have one! :)
Or, outfitted with a linear LNB, it could be used to receive Whitesprings on 129 west.

Much of what you ask about, and answers relative to using Dish & DirecTV dishes, is answered in this recent thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...line-model-au9-fta-coolsat-5000-reciever.html
Pay particular attention to the links given in the thread.
They provide much additional info.

Bottom line?
You're trying to use the wrong equipment.
It's not what I'd recommend, especially for a newbie (see thread above).
And so, explaining all the work-arounds to using "the wrong stuff" makes for a very long-winded answer.

edit: and unless I'm mistaken, those dishes won't get you a good enough signal to get the very limited HD that's on Ku-band.
Your first questions should be: "what's on Ku band in hi def , and how user friendly are the receivers that get it?"
We have plenty of reading material to give you that background.

not having any exp with fta makes it difficult to ask the correct questions, reading multi threaded post only leads to more confusion, no wanting someone to write a book here.

short answer:

not having any exp with fta makes it difficult to ask the correct questions,
reading multi threaded post only leads to more confusion,
not wanting someone to write a book here.
Okay, that's a good answer! - :up

Here ya go:

- No, forget your dishes
- No Hi Def
- Order up a 36" (90cm) dish from Sadoun or SatelliteAV web sites (both our Gold Sponsors
- order a Standard or Universal LNB to receive the signals
- order a standard definition FTA receiver such as:
... Fortec Star brand, model Mercury II or Dynamic
... Traxis 3500
... Pansat 3500sd
... Coolsat 5000 or 6000
- see the dealers above for package deals
- you'll need RG-6 coax cable, and connectors
- no switches required
- select a satellite to watch (I suggest 123° Galaxy 18, for starters)
- we can give you help for getting it aligned

That's a -good- beginner's system, and something you can build on in the future.

. . . and I held it down to just one link. - :eek:
Well, the forum hot-links Sadoun and SatelliteAV, I didn't do that. :cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.