Newb here... got a question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jonrpick

Original poster
May 6, 2009
Marietta, GA
Hi all...

I'm currently trying to find out about the availability of certain local channels using FTA. The channels in question are the regular OTA channels in Knoxville, TN.

A few questions:

1) Is this legal? (I'm a DirecTV installer and don't want to do anything illegal or that could put my employment in jeopardy)
2) I've been Googling for a while, and it seems these channels are coming from 61.5. Is that Dish Network-specific, or can you receive free FTA content from 61.5?
3) Where can I find a comprehensive list of which content is available using FTA (free)?

I am a native of Knoxville, TN, and would like to watch some Knoxville-specific content that's only available on their local network affiliates. I'm already a DirecTV subscriber, so I have no need for 'regular' network programming (I have Atlanta locals), just the Knoxville stuff.

Thanks,

~Jon

Don't think you'll find Knoxville channels on any reg satellite, only the Dish/Direct birds. You may find reference to them if you google for info on it, but what you'll find is just the Dishnet hackers talking about stealing tv by altering the firmware in fta receivers. That's about to stop though, as dishnetwork is upgrading their encryption system, leaving the hackers in the cold (this new system hasn't been broken, supposedly). And, the Directv signals aren't receivable by altered fta boxes. I can't answer to 61.5 but most likely it is using circular polarization, where most of the fta we watch comes from linear-polarized sats. It's possible some channels may drop encryption from time to time but usually not for long, so you couldn't rely on it being there. And legal>YES, it is perfectly legal to watch unencrypted signals from the satellites.

edit: here's a link to ONE list of channels:
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Channels/Channels-FTA-free-to-air-Satellite-TV.htm

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)