Newb question about multi room viewing

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Khurram

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 28, 2005
Hey guys.
I am about to move into a new apartment and luckily i'll be able to install Dtv as my balcony faces south.

In my previous apartment I had the dish outside on the balcony with a single coax coming in the apartment to a swim box and then a single coax running to each of the two HD DVR's in my apartment (one in the bedroom and one in the living room).

My new place that i'm moving into is a townhouse so I do not want to have to place a coax coming from downstairs where the balcony is all the way through the living room, up the stairs, into the master bedroom and finally to the tv.

So my question is would the multi room setup work for me? I will have a broadband connection (probably from the local cable company) and I could setup the router in my master bedroom.

Would I be able to run a ethernet cable from the router to the hd dvr 23 in my master bedroom and then connect the other hd dvr 23 in the living room via wifi or vice versa?

I'm not really sure if you can even connect via wifi or not. Or does the multi room viewing still need a coax to each box from the dish?

Basically i'm trying to figure out how I can use both my hd dvr's without having to send a coax to the master and having to lay the coax throughout the townhouse.

Hope this makes sense!
Thanks in advance.

You have to have a coax line run to each DVR just to get them to work with the satellite dish. With the MRV/DECA installation, The coax IS the network that gets the receivers to share programs as well as to get on the internet for On Demand. Therefore, running ethernet isn't needed.

You have to have a coax line run to each DVR just to get them to work with the satellite dish. With the MRV/DECA installation, The coax IS the network that gets the receivers to share programs as well as to get on the internet for On Demand. Therefore, running ethernet isn't needed.

Thanks for the info. So I would still need to run a coax from the swm to each hd dvr then correct? I guess there is no way to bypass this with the multi room viewing then.
I was hoping I could use the internet connection via wifi to have the boxes connect to each other so that I wouldn't have to run a coax to the bedroom as well.

I know that you can sometimes use the existing coax which is already wired within the townhouse but then I could not use that same coax line for my broadband connection could I? Or would it be possible if a splitter was put on.

Ok thanks.

So if I want to use the existing coax cables that are already in the house and going to each room for the 2 hd receivers- is it also possible to have my broadband cable internet modem setup using the coax connection that is in the 2nd bedroom which will not have a tv in it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts