newb

Status
Please reply by conversation.
A 6 is a bit small for C band. It'll work, just not that well. Won't get many of the new generation S2 signals. Number depends on many factors. (Many have experimented with dishes as small as 1 meter(36 inch). 7.5 ft and up are recommended. 10 ft being the 'norm'.
For Ku an excellent starter package is offered by Satellite AV. (site sponsor) http://www.satelliteav.com/p/shop/?ws_pid=1611&ws_cat=413 (up to a 1 meter dish is protected by OTARD)
Receivers do not determine which band, (C or Ku) you receive, the LNBF will determine that.

Last edited:
Depending on your location if all you can put up is a 6 footer I say go for it. I have a 6 footer and really I'm quite shocked at it's performance! Now it wasn't easy getting it tuned but I just took my time and kept at it. The only real problems I have is from 91w-99w where the sats are closest together at my location and I get some interference from other satellites. I still pick up the channels it's just sometimes I get channels from other birds. I just go into the channel editor and delete them. Everyone told me it would be too small and I'd be disappointed so I went in knowing that because I can not put up a bigger dish period wether I want to or not. Really I'm VERY HAPPY with its performance! Would I like a 10 or 12? Heck yes, but its not an option! Just saying if a 6footer is your only option with some persistence it will work and quite well!

oh i know id need a 10 or 12 for c band but id rather not push my luck with the land lord, im limited to a 6ft or smaller, i was thinking ka ku signals any way and possibly some c band signals, more less doing it just to experiment, as i am a radio hobbiest and that is get to expensive. thinking about trading my radio gear for fta stuff.

I say put up a KU dish get a receiver and dabble in it a little. Getting KU set up is VERY inexpensive even motorized. If you enjoy it EXPAND. I can tell you I don't find myself on KU band very often, I'd say 85% of the time I'm on C-Band.

i have both 7.5 and 6 foot dishes. yes, the bigger dish will get quite a few more c-band channels including ewtn on 133w which so far i haven't been able to get with the 6'. with a dual band lnb the six foot dish is acceptable if you can't go any bigger.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)