Newbie> Buying help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CuteChhokra

Original poster
Dec 20, 2004
I am looking at certain models on sale on eBay. Virgin sealed P5 card, and guaranteed to work receiver models which have no balances on them.

QUESTION: do the card and receiver need to be married in any way? Can I take an independent card and receiver, both working fine and call D* to activate?

PS: I like DVR but don't care about TiVO, which receiver would give me that feature.

CuteChhokra said:
I am looking at certain models on sale on eBay. Virgin sealed P5 card, and guaranteed to work receiver models which have no balances on them.

QUESTION: do the card and receiver need to be married in any way? Can I take an independent card and receiver, both working fine and call D* to activate?

PS: I like DVR but don't care about TiVO, which receiver would give me that feature.
If you are a new customer you cannot start a new account with used equipment. If you are a new customer you can get upto 4 new receivers with Free installation, you don't have to buy on Ebay. If you want a Directv DVR you have to buy a DirecTiVo. :)

if you want to add a top-notch receiver from ebay get a 2 or 3 room freebie deal FIRST then a few days later call to add the ebay receiver. this is how i added my LG HD receiver with and via the NFL ST promo.

I am thinking of going to BestBuy store and grabbing the deal. What do they need in order to sell me.. do they check driver's license? Do i HAVE TO pay by credit card... or can I use hard cash?

You don't have to pay for the system itself with a CC, but normally all BB & CC stores REQUIRE a valid CC for the agreement you'll have to sign agreeing to activate all receivers within 30-days.

CuteChhokra said:

Besides a Direct Tivo unit, you can use a stand alone tivo or replay TV I believe. I am not sure if there are others out there.

boba said:
If you are a new customer you cannot start a new account with used equipment. If you are a new customer you can get upto 4 new receivers with Free installation, you don't have to buy on Ebay. If you want a Directv DVR you have to buy a DirecTiVo. :)

Is that really true? I know you need to have a new card. I have known people who activated accounts with used equipment.

hdtvtechno said:
why u need the 36" dish. ?

do you want the international channels or something ?

BTW i sent you an PM, :)

Yes. I need South Asian programming pacakage. DO I ABSOLUTELY NEED THIS? Does the current D* promo (free equipment for new customers with 1 yr. programming) provide the dish I need for this? The rep at Best Buy said it is an oval dish... does it mean what i need?

CuteChhokra said:
Is that really true? I know you need to have a new card. I have known people who activated accounts with used equipment.

As I said in the 3rd post, if you want to add an ebay or other used gear make sure that the promo or new hardware is installed first and then a few days later call to ADD the used gear. You can't start a new account with used gear, but you can add it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Best HD Receiver???

Oval dish install - $65?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)