Newbie Dish Alignment help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The only difference I can see from what you attached is they ran the right channel on the far side of the common ground. My cable is mono and with only the white (left channel). I don't see why that cable should not work. Geez, with the plethora of cables available (usb, usb-c,usb mini, usb micro,fire wire ..... and a number of types that are simular that I don't know the name for but they just had to be different!) and the ongoing choices we must consume from the smorgusboard of cables that the vendor pushes upon us just to function in this tech age. The vendor cannot even keep the same connection on there own platform and must mix it up between versions (just look at the many phone connections).

The only difference I can see from what you attached is they ran the right channel on the far side of the common ground. My cable is mono and with only the white (left channel). I don't see why that cable should not work. Geez, with the plethora of cables available (usb, usb-c,usb mini, usb micro,fire wire ..... and a number of types that are simular that I don't know the name for but they just had to be different!) and the ongoing choices we must consume from the smorgusboard of cables that the vendor pushes upon us just to function in this tech age. The vendor cannot even keep the same connection on there own platform and must mix it up between versions (just look at the many phone connections).
Here is a pic of the spacing on the 1/8" plug. Perhaps since they don't line up like this on the cable you have (because they expect stereo on the Amiko) it shorts it out somehow? Have you tried plugging in only the video with no audio connected?

Amiko Cable Plug Spacing.jpg

Yea, that was the one I went to after the mono. When I still did not get an output, I feed the dvd signal just to ensure I was still recieving on the AV1 port of the tv. I would prefer to just stick with it as I don't really need the audio and find the internal tv speakers are old and chirpy. Jack lenght seems to be right, just shy of 5/8". Not sure what another cable would get me, might be worth a shot.

Attachments

• 20200702_151530.jpg
    20200702_151530.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 210
  • 20200702_151333.jpg
    20200702_151333.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 194
Yea, that was the one I went to after the mono. When I still did not get an output, I feed the dvd signal just to ensure I was still recieving on the AV1 port of the tv. I would prefer to just stick with it as I don't really need the audio and find the internal tv speakers are old and chirpy. Jack lenght seems to be right, just shy of 5/8". Not sure what another cable would get me, might be worth a shot.
If the new cable doesn't work you could probably return it but it should at least confirm whether a/v jack is functioning since the goal is to get that receiver/tv out to the dish for easier setup. Perhaps a better option instead of the cable would be an HDMI converter. They make HDMI to component and HDMI to composite converters depending on your needs and they are not a lot more expensive than the new cable.

HDMI to component converter

HDMI to composite converter

Strange that it did not come with a breakout cable as all my receivers that have that jack also came with a cable
They stopped shipping them with an included cable about 2 years ago. I wish they still did, but I suppose it drops cost. I have yet to have anyone ask about one in longer than that, so I guess they also figure no one uses them anymore.

Reactions: FTA4PA
They stopped shipping them with an included cable about 2 years ago. I wish they still did, but I suppose it drops cost. I have yet to have anyone ask about one in longer than that, so I guess they also figure no one uses them anymore.
Got my Amiko Mini HD SE much longer ago than two years. ;) With most connections being HDMI I guess it is understandable that they cut costs in that way. :)

I could not locate a break out cable of that type among the boxes of cables that I have. Decided to purchase a GTMEDIA V8 sat finder as it comes with the cable and as an additional receiver, it will help me determine if there is an issue with the Amiko. The scheduled arrival date of the GTMEDIA is for July 17th. Kind of in limo that this time until the arrival. This should make things alot easier than dealing with cables that don't work and dragging tv's back a forth.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Tried using the breakout cable that came with the v8 finder and got the same results (no video out with periodic flash of light to the perimeter of tv set.) I then set up v8 on satellite dish without moving of the dish and was getting ~/= a 30 signal and then attached the GTmedia receiver and was still seeing no signal. At this point I am ruling this receiver defective and will continue setup with the v8 finder and purchase another receiver once alignment and everything else is verified. Thanks all for the input.

Well, the weather has cooled down and the tree's have started dropping leaves so I thought I would get back on this project and see if I could get any signal. Things seem to be about the same, still weak to no signal :( I decided to go over the dish settings and now am a little perplexed, the dish is identified as (Prodelin Macon 161-6) and is 11' diameter when measured. When I run the math for the focal length I get a distance of 45.375" inches but the focal length is of a fixed length button hook at about 37.5" and running the math for a 10' dish I get a value in the 37-38 inch range. The dish is of high quality and the button hook appears to be original with the manufacture name embossed on the center portion of the button hook mount. Am I missing something here? Do you think that maybe it might be set up using the 10' values? the lnb and most of the components seem to be Channel Master and I'm not sure if this may have been one of their products. Channel Master did make a 11' dish (a 3.4 meter model). The f/d value seems to be right on with the original lnb using the settings of an 11' dish at 34.5 and the inclination for my area is right on at 44 degrees. When spanning the clark belt I can not seem to find a signal strong enough to perform a blind scan on. A side note, is ATSC 3.0 going to have an impact on satellite tv? Am I wasting time on this only to have it become obsolete in a few years? I know the FCC has been approaching SAT providers to buy up the sat bandwith for future 5G and ATSC 3.0 allocation. Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Well guys, could sure use some help on this one. No matter what I can not get a quality reading above 30. I'm getting a signal reading between 70-80 pointed at G19. I have tried this with both the original lnb and a Titianium C2 PLL dual port lnbf set to 5150 lo. I have pushed up/down on the dish and the q stays at 30. The install is on a 11' (3m) Channel Master dish aligned to 209 degrees (G19) azimuth at an arc of 44 degrees elevation for my area 35N 78W. My mast was checked on 4 sides and is 90 degrees in all directions. I used a 2.5" pipe with a laser level placed inside and then placed in the lnb hole and the beam is hitting dead center of the button hook at the base. The angles were checked with a angle finder and compass settings checked with a phone app. Visual site checks made with satellite pointer app software and there does not appear to be anything obstructing line of sight. Only uncertainties that I may have are that the GT Media V8 finder receiver does not have the US as a local time setting, had to use a user defined offset of UTC -5:00 and I was unsure on the LO freq on a duel port lnbf, the box states just 5150. Any ideas or suggestions would greatly be appreciated. I would really like to get this up and running before 5g wipes out c band. Thanks.

Well guys, could sure use some help on this one. No matter what I can not get a quality reading above 30. I'm getting a signal reading between 70-80 pointed at G19. I have tried this with both the original lnb and a Titianium C2 PLL dual port lnbf set to 5150 lo. I have pushed up/down on the dish and the q stays at 30. The install is on a 11' (3m) Channel Master dish aligned to 209 degrees (G19) azimuth at an arc of 44 degrees elevation for my area 35N 78W. My mast was checked on 4 sides and is 90 degrees in all directions. I used a 2.5" pipe with a laser level placed inside and then placed in the lnb hole and the beam is hitting dead center of the button hook at the base. The angles were checked with a angle finder and compass settings checked with a phone app. Visual site checks made with satellite pointer app software and there does not appear to be anything obstructing line of sight. Only uncertainties that I may have are that the GT Media V8 finder receiver does not have the US as a local time setting, had to use a user defined offset of UTC -5:00 and I was unsure on the LO freq on a duel port lnbf, the box states just 5150. Any ideas or suggestions would greatly be appreciated. I would really like to get this up and running before 5g wipes out c band. Thanks.
Try changing skew just on lnb itself. With signal at 80 and quality at 30 slowly turn / twist lnb. Try both directions. One will be better than the other often.

Bullwinkle Moose You say you are "only getting 30". Are you getting ANY video at all, on any channel, even breaking up/pixelating?

3 meter dish on only a 2.5" pipe? That's pretty small. Have you checked level while the dish is ON the pole? I'd bet it's leaning...

Does the "0" degree skew stamp on the C2-PLL align with the 12 or 6 o'clock vertical axis with the dish parked at the apex (top) of the arc? "0" is the vertical polarity alignment reference.

Are you certain that the dish is aimed at 97w? Is the satellite meter (or the STB) set to 97w C-band and an active transponder selected?

Bullwinkle Moose You say you are "only getting 30". Are you getting ANY video at all, on any channel, even breaking up/pixelating?

3 meter dish on only a 2.5" pipe? That's pretty small. Have you checked level while the dish is ON the pole? I'd bet it's leaning...
No video "nil, nada". The dish is mounted to a 4.5'" pipe. The 2.5" pipe I placed into the scaler ring opening and then used a laser level pointer mounted inside to see where it was striking the dish. Appears to be dead center.

Doubt there is any leaning, dish is beafy and seams to be good. Placed an incline meter on top of the pipe in scaler ring opening and it also reports the same 44 degree angle.

Does the "0" degree skew stamp on the C2-PLL align with the 12 or 6 o'clock vertical axis with the dish parked at the apex (top) of the arc? "0" is the vertical polarity alignment reference.

Are you certain that the dish is aimed at 97w? Is the satellite meter (or the STB) set to 97w C-band and an active transponder selected?
I've tried it with the 0 set to 12 oclock, it's aligned to the one of the dish panel seams. I have tried rotating it with in the scaler ring and signal quality never changes. I have the dish pointed to ~/= 209 to 210 degrees so I think I should be on mark according to what I have determined to be for my lat. When I move off mark my signal reading drops but q appears to be about the same. I just received a actuator controller for the dish and plan to realign the dish back to true south and then using the receiver to pull up 97w to see if I can tweak anything out of it. Just surprised that I have been unable to get anything at all. I would think with an 11' dish pointed at all those birds up there I would get some kind of video.

Thanks again.

Try changing skew just on lnb itself. With signal at 80 and quality at 30 slowly turn / twist lnb. Try both directions. One will be better than the other often.
Thanks for the quick response Mike. Funny thing is I tried that. I pulled the strongest transponder signal and using it, tried rotating the lnbf in both directions and it did nothing for the q. There is a tree directly behind the dish that I will need to trim/remove that may be cause some issue but when looking thru a phone sat app, the only thing in the path of the satellite is a pencil size branch. On an 11' dish, I would not think that would be much of an issue. I should see some video at least.

Is the STB set to the G19 C band with LO 5150? What transponder is selected? If an inactive transponder is selected, no signal lock will occur.

Once the satellite, LO and an active transponder have been selected then SLOWLY move the dish Left and Right of the estimated direction and increase decrease the elevation in one degree increments until the Signal Quality reading increases. You are aiming the dish at a satellite that is 23,000 miles distant. and a few degrees left/right/up/down and nothing will be received. The compass and elevation heading will get the dish aimed into the ball park, but not even I would be lucky enough to receive a satellite based on an initial compass reading. It has happened a few time over the years, but not very often... SLOWLY adjust the dish to locate then peak the signal.

1. Yours is a motorized setup, is it not?
2. And you haven't had any reception with the setup, so far?

If both answers are yes, then I have a few more questions:

3. Why do you speak of elevation of 44 degrees?
At Latitude = 35N, axis elevation = 54.4 (modified angle), and declination offset angle (modified) = 5.0 degrees. I don't see any 44 degrees in my calculator, for your location.

4. Why are you aiming at 97W, at the moment?
At Longitude 78W, I would choose a satellite at or near due south, to start with. What is the reason that you don't?

5. Or am I totally wrong, here?

Greetz,
A33

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)

Latest posts