NEWBIE >mag. south?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

roakley

Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
hello,
I have been doing a lot of reading and I think i have a good understanding of what will be involed in setting up my satellite system, One question am not sure about. What is meant by magnetic south and how i complete mag. south? I am in texas loc. is 31.792882 N, 95.899798 W zipcode is 75861
i have also seen something regarding true south satellites. What is a true south satellite used for. i will not be able to add a motor for awhile. am hoping to get my system today! And setup by tonight. thanks :confused:

True South is what satellite is 180 degrees south of your location. I live in Mnm, and our true south is T6 (now IA6) at 93.

I don't know the exact meaning of magnetic deviation but in TX, you have to subract 5-10 degrees from what the azimuth says (as an example, if your satellite says azimuth 178...you would set it to between 168-173). In the midwest, its not real big because its +-10 degrees.

Your true south satellite is at.........
96 deg W.
I would use Telstar 5 at 97 deg w.

Total elevation to satellite=53 deg.
Motor elevation= 58deg.
Distance to satellite=36930km.

Magnetic deviation is the magnetic "pull" of the earths poles.
Yours is around -6deg. check below.

This should help out.

MagDev.gif

If that chart is correct then instead of my true south being at 183 like I thought for 80.17 Long it is more like 190 deg. ?

Aim for 184 then, its only a guide you will find it will still be off slightly anyway!

I went to 185 because it seemed closer. So now do I need to set my levation back to AMC 5 or another sat ? I am only trying to be precise so that the far east and west sats will be easier to tweak

Do you mean Telstar 5? Thats the satellite you need to be pointing at to set up the motor mount, the coordinates are above to point to, good luck!

Believe it or not, magnetic deviation changes from year to year, the chart I posted should be correct although I left my global magnetic deviation meter thing in the car so I can't check it.

I think I knew that : ) But forgot : ( I will use that chart from now on, It seems much closer to real life, great find! Where did it come from?

I have no clue, I spend most of the day trawling different sites and forget things a lot in my old age.
I thought it was from Sadoun but they have an older version.
It may have been from an astronomy site, I like to look at the moon if we have a clear evening.

The Moon is something else here, it seems much closer than when in the UK, and the colours are amazing, I have a telescope here and I sometimes look at the moon : )

Reanimator - That's Correct

Yes, that's the satellite you want to aim at. Installer came by on Sunday, and we spent two (2) trips to Home Depot. He told me that the dish was tool low on the mast that came with my Hotdish 75 and that I would not get the signal that way. I suggested, and he readily approved of a purchase of a 5 foot section of galvanized steel 1.5" steel pipe and a flange that we connected to the concrete floor of my second story patio, and bracketed the pole afterward to a couple of rungs of patio railing.

He aimed it at IA5 (or Telstar 5), not AMC5 and voila, signal at around 70-80 depending on transponder. Remember, I'm in central Broward County, approximately 15 miles from you, so your setup of your dish should not be too different.

greyskies in Sunny So. Florida

P.S. - Now he needs to come back tomorrow to finish the cable run (it started a torrential downpour, so antenna is bare without cable run to house) and installing a face plate on the wall for F-Connector hook-up. Then it will be happy times in my house.

Greyskies,

Thanks for the info. Did you also get a standard ku lnb or are you using the universal one. My dish is on a 10 foot 2" rigid pipe. I is about 1 foot above the roofs edge. I get lots of signals but can't get them when checking them on the progdvb or mytheatre. Maybe I will have to get your installer.

Mark

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)