Newbie needs some advise or help.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

frechetn

Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
Hello all,
I'm new to all this satellite stuff and FTA. I'm interested in getting a system up and running but I'm not sure where to start.

Is there any good beginners guide on-line that I can benefit from?

I was thinking of getting a Sonicview 4000 receiver, but before I do, I need to get a dish and I assume an LNB or two.

What size dish should I be looking for? I live just north of Detroit, MI. There seems to be so many sizes and types that I am somewhat confused on this subject alone. If I purchase a DirectTV, Dish network, Winegard, etc... dish I am I obligated to subscribe to a service?

Then there's LNB thing. Are LNB's interchangeable? Do you have to match LNB's with dishes or receiver?

Thanks in advance.

Fta 101

Here is a very compact list of FTA satellites and programming.
You can get an ideal what is available in a number of languages.

A good FTA hardware package would include a receiver with "blind scan" feature, and capability to run a number of different switch and motor combinations.
Not all will do the job.
See our FTA Review Department for some suggested equipment.

You'll also need a dish, and 36" round is a good choice (and less expense to ship than larger ones).

When it comes to LNBs, there are many good choices, some are overkill, and some are just overpriced.
Let us know what you're looking to do and maybe we can narrow that down.
For instance, if you want to use one receiver, two receivers, or more receivers, choice of LNBs could be impacted.
If you want to receive one of the few satellites that -require- a Universal LNB, that might be a consideration.

Some folks use motors to aim the dish to different birds.
Installation is a little more work (everything is hard the first time but easier 2nd time around), and about $100 more.

Reception of Dish Network , DirecTV, and other pay providers is not FTA, and not covered in this department of the forum.
If that is your goal, then we can direct you to the appropriate place.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)