Newbie to FTA,Need help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Duster014

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
Georgia
Ok have tweak and tune the channel master 1.0M dish. but still not picking up anything. Wondering if I have the Pansat 4500 set up correctly. Even with the coax disconnected from the back of the receiver, still show 45 quality and 5 signal. When you connect the coax stays the same. I am doing something wrong? I have it set for universal lnb. Have even tried two different lnb's and the same thing is going on? The unit was bought brand new. My signal meter is showing a very strong signal at dish.

Any help or suggestions to get this figured out would greatly be appreciated. Factory settings only, had receiver about one week.

Make sure you are not connecting to the "Loop Out" port on the back of the Receiver
Next, look at the LNB, there should be a sticker with the proper Info to enter into the receiver

What Sat are you trying for?
The Receiver's Meter is a Transponder Meter, you must have a know Active Transponder selected in the receiver's Setup Menu to get a Quality reading.

Universal LNB from Galaxy Marketing, Sonet Digital, LKU1-2A, Low LO 09750 High LO 10600, Universal Single LNBF. Coax is connected to LNB IN on Pansat 4500 coming in from motor. LNB to lnb side on motor. SG9120.

Last edited:
duster how have you been going about aiming the dish? Taken a tv and the receiver out there so you could see the screen and watch for signal or video? Never used a meter, I'm sure they're great to have if you use them a lot. Which satellite are you aiming for right now?
Tried running a blind scan yet, if you think you're dish is already pointed at a satellite?
Need more info to help you.....what part of GA are you in, might be next door to me lol.

West Georgia, Carroll County.

Still can't get it to pickup anything with that small lnb I did pick up a few channels using the primestar lnb. Like to know what other lnb's others are using with their 1.0m Channel Master (Primestar) dish?

I have a stacked linear Ku-Band LNB from a Dish Network Superdish mounted to the original feedhorn on my 1 meter Channel Master, and it works wonderfully. Of course, its stacked, so you have to set up your receiver properly.

West Georgia, Carroll County.

Still can't get it to pickup anything with that small lnb I did pick up a few channels using the primestar lnb. Like to know what other lnb's others are using with their 1.0m Channel Master (Primestar) dish?
Your best bet is to use the Primestar LNB with the dish. It was made for it. I use the original feedhorn and a Hughes C120 LNB with my 90CM Channelmaster dish with good results. Does the Primestar LNB have one or two connections? If it has two you will need a multiswitch to get both polarities.

It has both, H/V, here are some pics and the Sonset digital LKU1-2A from Galaxy Marketing. Tried to find place on photobucket to do thumbnails, sorry for regular size pics.

Just having hard time hitting anything now. When 1st setup with the primestar lnb on H side was hitting azteca channels for set at 87W, but found out it was actually hitting 93and it was really the V side according to Lyngsat. Then put coax on V and got bunch of $ sites, scrambled. Have SG9120 motor sat to lat 33. Mine is 33, 85., butwas on a cheap pole, kept flexing. Trying for days now and still not hitting anything after setting new steel pole. Socket head screw kept working loose inside the new motor, so went and got a different bolt and fixed the mount tube problem. Have tried USALS and Disqec. Still no luck hitting anything. Have tried setting to 10600, 10750 and universal. Neither the sonet or the ps lnb will pickup any birds now. Even tried a temp bracket to move the sonet closer, but that didn't work either. Have a angle finder on the way, just have received it yet. The dish might not look new from sitting out back behind my shed but it is, and the lnb is still brand new, first time hooked up. The dish was giving to me from a tv repair shop that had never installed it.

Help or suggestions welcome.

0817101048.jpg

0817101057.jpg

0815101627b.jpg

0808101204.jpg

0817101057.jpg

0815101627c.jpg

0815101627.jpg

0807102024-1.jpg

0807102025a-1.jpg

0807102033.jpg

0807102023b.jpg

Thanks Turbosat for coming over today. We finally got it going.

Whew finally got it up and running. Changed quite a few things like the bracket setup on the dish and with the help of another fellow FTAer, Turbosat!

Had to end up moving the motor into the other adjustment slot and we hit the birds left and right. Here are some pics of what we did on the bracket.

A 4x3 switch hooked up to the primestar lnb, so i can use both the H/V.

0821101836.jpg

0821101836a.jpg

Bracket setup

0821101837a.jpg

Here is how we adjusted for the elevation on the dish with the angle finder. Notice the bottom bracket, it is where we got the elevation adjustments done. Muffler clamp for the top bracket. Had to do a little filing , but the brackets finally lined up so we could get it bolted to the dish.

0821101837.jpg

Motor moved into the lower slots

0821101837b.jpg

We tried everything less of shooting the dish on a rocket to the satellite lol. We were both at wits end till I decided to change the motor on the bracket to the other slots. We disconnected the tv and hooked my meter up and off the scale it went. Bam was hitting all the birds, most of my signal is hitting 98% and high as 88% on Quality.

Thanks to all for your inputs and valuable information. Lessons well learned for my next project the 75E primestar dish. Dish farm here we come, time for more planting!!!

It was extremely hot and humid, luckily we had a pop-up canopy thing to help shield us from the sun a bit. I was happy to see him get up and running--a nice 1m primestar should be working every day, lol. He's hooked for sure now!

Hey Turbo, its still going strong!!! But now i found me a 7.5 Unimesh, but its going to need a lot of work on dish, Going to be another fun up coming project for this newbie. Already spotted three other bud's two fiberglass and another mesh.

Hey while i am thinking about it.... How do i make my pics thumbnails here. I remember reading a thread, but cant find it again :(

Duster, when you post, use the advanced form (click 'Go Advanced' at the bottom of the quick reply form). There, you'll find an option to upload attachments. If you use this feature, the pictures will show as thumbnails.

Sounds good, hope you have it tracking more of the arc now. If some trees die, you will get a few more sats to the east, I think, lol.

Hey Turbo, its still going strong!!! But now i found me a 7.5 Unimesh, but its going to need a lot of work on dish, Going to be another fun up coming project for this newbie. Already spotted three other bud's two fiberglass and another mesh.

Hey while i am thinking about it.... How do i make my pics thumbnails here. I remember reading a thread, but cant find it again :(

Not that my opinion counts for much, but I like your pics large, just the way they are.... I always seem to have problems viewing the thumbnails, or I have to open them one at a time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)