Newbie to HDTV - Questions on setup

cowboy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2004
Hello All,
I just signed up for VOOM, and the install is scheduled in 10 days. I've had a Pioneer HDTV since 2000, but have only used progresive DVD. I've read the FAQ, and looked at the connections for the tuner, and read the part that you get 1080i out only if you use the DVI output - apparently if you use component out, you are limited to 480p.

I then got to looking, and realized that my HDTV does not have a DVI input. It is a older pioneer projection, that was manufactured about 2000 - at that time tuners were not part of the package. There are inputs for component video, and also a vga input (I think RCA used to make the set top box with VGA out?). The Pioneer is supposed to be able to do 1080 according to the spec sheet.

1) So, I wondered if I should get a VGA to DVI adapter before the installer comes?

2) Also, I've got this TV in a home theatre setup, with a Denon 3803 as the AVR, and the best option for video is component in/out. The Denon is supposed to "upgrade" the video signal before outputting to the component out, but I couldn't find any specifics on this in the user manual. It would be much more convienent to use the Denon as my video switcher as well as audio switcher, but I'm not sure if the picture will be as good. (I definitely plan to use TOSlink from the box to the Denon)

What's your opinion on the best way to go about enjoying the HDTV experience, given my limitations? Thanks

First of all I would like to say welcome to satelliteguys.us. I would hook it up component video. Your tv is not a true digital display device such as a (plasma,Dlp,or Lcd) so you will not notice much differance between component video and dvi. I think you should be able to use your denon receiver as the video switcher with no problem.(as long as it has hd pass built in).mosts denons are high quality receivers and allready incorperate this inside there receivers.well I hope this helps and again welcome to satelliteguys.us we are glad you are now a member of the internets best satellite tv forum............................DIGITAL~DAN

The component video out jacks on the voom receiver are capable of outputting 480i,480p,720p,1080i so dont worry you will be able to see HD material in all of its glory!!!1080i

Thanks very much! I don't know how I got that only DVI outputs 1080i...I was doing so much reading and assimilating information last night, that I must have overloaded my circuits :). This site has it all!

I forgot to ask one thing more...I'm connected through local cable for my internet access, and get "the basic expanded package". Nothing scrambled like HBO or the premium channels, but the basic cable lineup. This is "kind of" included in the internet price....so I've just been using the cable input for my tv channels...........

If my local HDTV reception on the antenna is not good, can I feed tha cable connection int the set top box, where the antenna goes? (I asked the people at VOOM this question, but they didn't know, and said to ask the installer)

Thanks

Welcome to the forum cowboy. I have a Denon 3805 and it switches quite well with the component cables. Your cable connection will not work with the Voom STB, but if your cable has a STB, you can use the Denon to switch it as well.

Thanks for the welcome....I don't have a stb for the cable...just a splitter on the line. Hopefully the locals will look ok, I'm about 25 miles from most of the tranmitters.

Oh yeah, I had one other question...thanks for putting up with all my questions! I got a pretty good deal from VOOM...one dollar installation charge, 89 a month for the VAVOOM package. and I think its either 5 or 10 bucks a month for the box rental. I only got one box. As I was surfing EBAY the other day, I noticed quite a few VOOM boxes for sale. Can you buy these and hook them up ok? (assuming you're getting a good box). Will they do the software upgrades ok? Or do they have a special serial code that gets uploaded to VOOM, and the next day the FEDS are at the door, dragging my butt down to jail?

cowboy said:
Thanks for the welcome....I don't have a stb for the cable...just a splitter on the line. Hopefully the locals will look ok, I'm about 25 miles from most of the tranmitters.

Oh yeah, I had one other question...thanks for putting up with all my questions! I got a pretty good deal from VOOM...one dollar installation charge, 89 a month for the VAVOOM package. and I think its either 5 or 10 bucks a month for the box rental. I only got one box. As I was surfing EBAY the other day, I noticed quite a few VOOM boxes for sale. Can you buy these and hook them up ok? (assuming you're getting a good box). Will they do the software upgrades ok? Or do they have a special serial code that gets uploaded to VOOM, and the next day the FEDS are at the door, dragging my butt down to jail?
As far as I know, and that isn't much, only 1 person has come on this forum and said they bought one of the Voom STB's from EBAY. Then Voom would not authorize it. So, if I was you, I would get Voom to promise to authorize it first, or get EBAY to gaurantee it (to work as well as getting authorized), before I bought it.

EDIT:
Oh Yeah, and 1 guy on the forum said he bought one for spare parts....

cowboy said:
I don't have a stb for the cable...just a splitter on the line.
You cannot connect cable to your VOOM STB: it's a different type of signal. You can, however, connect it to your TV set directly.

DO NOT BUY VOOM STB ON EBAY! Most likely VOOM will not activate it for you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts