Newbie Troubles

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Looks like my settings need to be:

Elevation:56.5°
Azimuth (true): 174.8°
Azimuth (magn.): 180.3° using Compass
LNB skew: -4.5°

I will go and review up there to make sure all of this is set correctly. To be sure, I can ignore the true Azimuth right and just use the Magnetic one since i'm using compass?

How do you know what setting to set the dish at, like you previously said 25, how did you know that?

whoa hold on...the numbers are different for elevation when working with a fixed system versus a motorized...are you removing the motor for the time being? The elevation you posted is for a fixed system

also when you set the motor latitude to 29 LEAVE IT...dont touch it..make the adjustments on the dish itself

whoa hold on...the numbers are different for elevation when working with a fixed system versus a motorized...are you removing the motor for the time being? The elevation you posted is for a fixed system

Ah, i didn't even notice those links for Satellite. I still have the motor setup as pictures, just not plugging into it. But, I think I still need to use the numbers associated with it since it is skewing the directions, etc. Here should be what it is right?

Motor Latitude Angle: 28.6°
Azimuth (true): 180.0°
Azimuth (magn.): 185.5° using Compass
Declination angle: 4.8°
Dish elevation: 25°

I now see how he got 185.5! ha

ok I think ya got it now :)

but for 185 thats for the true south of 82 so you'd have to use the circular port on the LNB for that
(82W is NImiq 2 which is circular)

You can't use the Stationary numbers with a Motor.
You are close with the Motor, so connect it.
I like to clamp a Straight piece of wood(about 2 foot long) to the motor, since a Compass will wig out if too close to a Metal Dish, see pic

Attachments

• Clamp.jpg
    Clamp.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 114
ok I think ya got it now :)

but for 185 thats for the true south of 82 so you'd have to use the circular port on the LNB for that
(82W is NImiq 2 which is circular)

Wow, just when I get complimented I get blown out of water again....

Can you please explain how you are coming up with this True South (I never did well in those type of classes when younger) so that I can calculate this and understand it in the future? Also, when you say that because it is the true south of 82 I have to use the "C" port on the LNB - why or how are you coming up with this info so again I can figure this out in future on my own. You then put in parentheses trying to help me understand, but didn't help me much as I don't know what "NImiq 2" is or know that it is circular. The good thing is, once I finally wrap my mind around these concepts I can usually run with it.

Since YOU are at 82 degrees, when you look due south, the satellite you see is at 82 degrees. From the where is satellite charts (or other lists) Nimiq 2 is the satellite at 82 degree position in the Clarke Belts, where the satellites are. The 185.5 is what your compass reads because of the magnetic error in your soil or land. The transponders on Nimiq 2 are circular (again from the lists) so you need an LNB (or LNBF if the 'flange' is built in) to "see" the signal.
Most of us have been using these terms so long that we think in the "language" of saellite! Do NOT get discouraged. In a week or two you will be a seasoned vetern!
POP

The transponders on Nimiq 2 are circular (again from the lists) so you need an LNB (or LNBF if the 'flange' is built in) to "see" the signal.
POP

Ok, I will need to get caught up on figuring that stuff out, but if you are saying it is circular and IceBerg is saying this, does that mean I have to use the "C" port (my LNBF has L and C ports of which I thought meant linear and circular)?

Now, I am using several different lists and I'm not sure how you are figuring out which ones are circular and which ones are not and if they are - what does that mean I have to do (you might answer this in previous question)?

Here is list(s) that I am using:

SatelliteGuys.US - TheList
Free-To-Air Satellite List

I'm clicking on Nimiq2 and I don't see anywhere on page that it saying circular?

Lastly, Since I'll always be on 82, maybe that means i'll always have to use these settings right?

Why will you always be on 82?

Are you going to run new RG6 cable?

FYI: For a Circular Sat, in the Dish Menu, you would enter 11250 for L.O.
Circular Sat are much easier to hit, but they are the Subscription Sats, but you can use them to align to.

Last edited:
Why will you always be on 82?

Are you going to run new RG6 cable?

FYI: For a Circular Sat, in the Dish Menu, you would enter 11250 for L.O.
Circular Sat are much easier to hit, but they are the Subscription Sats, but you can use them to align to.

Ignore my last comment about the 82....

I want to make sure I can at least get some quality before I buy a new cable. If I can somehow hook up the with the gentleman this weekend to install it with small tv, it may not matter.

Ok, I still have some unanswered questions:

1) How does 185.5 turn into 82? Is this something useful for me to pay attention to or is this just confusing me?

2) If it really is 82, where on those lists that I sent does it say that this is a Circular one?

3) If it is a circular one, does that mean I have to use the "C" port on my LNB?

4) On your FYI comment, I assume you mean LNB Frequency when you say L.O., is that correct? If so, where are you getting the answer for 11250 for this?

Man I thought Calculus was tough, it's a wonder how the first person figured all this stuff out!

185.5 is magnetic(compass), 82 is longitude, you will learn the details later

To use a Motor, youe need to align to YOUR True South Sat.
Hewe we go......
In the Dish Setup Menu
Sat= Nimiq 2 @ 82 west
LNB Type - Standard or Single
L.O. / LNB Freq- 11250
Motor: USALS, remember to enter YOUR Lat and Long, make sure to enter WEST for Long(East is usually the default)

At the LNB, connect to the "C" port

Align Dish:

Almost all the TPs for Nimiq are Live / Active.

185.5 is magnetic(compass), 82 is longitude, you will learn the details later

To use a Motor, youe need to align to YOUR True South Sat.
Hewe we go......
In the Dish Setup Menu
Sat= Nimiq 2 @ 82 west
LNB Type - Standard or Single
L.O. / LNB Freq- 11250
Motor: USALS, remember to enter YOUR Lat and Long, make sure to enter WEST for Long(East is usually the default)

At the LNB, connect to the "C" port

Align Dish:

Almost all the TPs for Nimiq are Live / Active.

Great detail, thank you for that. Now, i currently do not have my Motor plugged in so do I really need to set the Motor settings- assuming not?

Not yet, just get it pointed.
Once you have your True South Sat setup, the rest will fall into place(with a little tweaking)
Did you get RG6 cable yet?
Did the receiver come with a DiSEqC switch?(looks like a 4-way splitter)

Not yet, just get it pointed.
Once you have your True South Sat setup, the rest will fall into place(with a little tweaking)
Did you get RG6 cable yet?
Did the receiver come with a DiSEqC switch?(looks like a 4-way splitter)

I will probably get RG6 cable this weekend if I am still stuck.

I did get a 4way splitter, but hadn't put it into equation yet. I was thinking that I only need to plug that in if I had more than LNB to plug in, right?

"I did get a 4way splitter, but hadn't put it into equation yet. "
Did you buy it, or did it come with the receiver?
Look at it, does it have "DiSEqC" on it?

Regarding the RG6 cable - To operate the Motor and the C & L ports on the LNB you will need 3 cables about 3 foot long and 1 long enough to go from the Motor to the Receiver.

Receiver-------------------Motor--------------Switch Port 1--------------------"C" port LNB
............................................................................\ Port 2 -------------------"L" port LNB

"I did get a 4way splitter, but hadn't put it into equation yet. "
Did you buy it, or did it come with the receiver?
Look at it, does it have "DiSEqC" on it?

Regarding the RG6 cable - To operate the Motor and the C & L ports on the LNB you will need 3 cables about 3 foot long and 1 long enough to go from the Motor to the Receiver.

Receiver-------------------Motor--------------Switch Port 1--------------------"C" port LNB
............................................................................\ Port 2 -------------------"L" port LNB

Switch came with it, it's a 4x1 so I figured I wasnt going to plug it in or the motor until I got the stationary part working. Once i get that, then I can get more advanced. Am i correct that i don't need to involve switch if i'm just plugging directly from C or L port to my receiver?

themango69;

The geostationary satellite world starts and ends over Greenwich, England. Rule Britannia, Britinnia Rules the waves. Latitude and Longitude and time for navigation of earth and the celestial bodies all started there. Sooooo...The Clarke Belt, all the geostationary satellites are oriented with England as being "0" and goes toward the Pacific ocean and then to the USA. So in satellite listings there are sometimes two positions given. First is often degrees west of england and over the middle of the USA would be 270 degrees. But sometimes you will see a listing for a USA satellite that is a smaller number like 82 degrees and that would be measured going East from England. In any case it is 360 degrees around the globe. So if you go to www.satsig.net/sslist.htm you will see both the east and west listed for clarity. Your compass will always read 180 degrees for south but your truesouth satellite depends where in the world you are.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)