Status
Please reply by conversation.

steve515

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
Ky
Hello,

I am interested in a Cband (big dish) system. I am currently a directv customer that is tired of paying a fortune silly channels. I have noticed that cband programming is about half the price of what i am paying now. So i am interested. Plus, it seems like there are several providers too.

I dont know crap about the big dish. I actually thought that they were out of commision. No one that i know uses a big dish anymore, just the little ones. I have been doing a little bit of reading the past few days and have realized that these things are complex and that there is quite a few fans that love these dishes.

I have no idea what i equipment i need or even want, besides the fact that i believe i am interested in the 4dtv stuff.

I realize that i havent really given any useful information here. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

And i may not have posted this in the proper forum either....If not, sorry.

thanks
steve

Hey Steve, you should know that the programming choices on C band these days aren't quite as good as the little dishes. The best advice I can give you is to make a list of the channels you MUST have. You can then ask around and see if those will be available on C band. If you're a big sports fan, especially college sports, then C band along with a free to air receiver just might be for you.

Thanks boomer.

I am really on MUST HAVE around 5-6 channels. I pay directv around $66 a month. And only watch 5-6 channels. I could care less about the channels. And of course, one of those channels is only availible with the total choice package :(

I have looked at both skyvision and nps. They have packages around $35 a month with the channels i MUST HAVE.

I am really interested in a big dish, but i am scared of them. I just dont know crap about them. Dont know how to set them up. From what little i have read, you just dont put these things in the ground. You have to know what you are doing. And from i can tell, there arent any installers around my location, so that means i would have to did this myself. Thus i am a little intimidated.

Sidecars, decoders, dish size.....alot to learn.

Thank you,
steve

Meanwhile....
As you drive around, watch for big dishes in people's yards. I have gotten a few just for asking. They are often happy to just get them out of their yard. I saw one a while back I believe to be a 12' but could not stop at the time. I think I might go inquire about it today.

If you are lucky you can get half the stuff you need for free.

Thanks boomer.

I am really on MUST HAVE around 5-6 channels. I pay directv around $66 a month. And only watch 5-6 channels. I could care less about the channels. And of course, one of those channels is only availible with the total choice package :(

I have looked at both skyvision and nps. They have packages around $35 a month with the channels i MUST HAVE.

I am really interested in a big dish, but i am scared of them. I just dont know crap about them. Dont know how to set them up. From what little i have read, you just dont put these things in the ground. You have to know what you are doing. And from i can tell, there arent any installers around my location, so that means i would have to did this myself. Thus i am a little intimidated.

Sidecars, decoders, dish size.....alot to learn.

Thank you,
steve

Don't be intimidated by them. No they aren't plug and play but so what. There is lots of useful information on this site and ones here that can help you along the way. I was once a greenhorn (way back in the day) Now it's like riding a bike.

It's all about setting angles for tracking and following instructions for assembly, wiring, etc.

Join the big dish club once your set up you'll be happy you did. Pizza dishes are really only to eat pizza off of. :D

Cool. I will keep that in mind. I really dont know what i need just yet. Other than a dish. :D

Dish, feedhorn, lnb, actuator, cables and 4DTV receiver (DSR 922, 920 or 905) I would get a 922.

You need to dig a hole and put a pipe in the ground too. Start reading some of the installs on this site and look under the 4DTV section for information on the 4DTV. As far as dish size goes try to get a 10 foot. This is the standard that will insure good quality off all the satellites.

Dish, feedhorn, lnb, actuator, cables and 4DTV receiver (DSR 922, 920 or 905) I would get a 922.

You need to dig a hole and put a pipe in the ground too. Start reading some of the installs on this site and look under the 4DTV section for information on the 4DTV. As far as dish size goes try to get a 10 foot. This is the standard that will insure good quality off all the satellites.

Well i feel like i want the latest technology. Flexability and capability is what i like.

I have a couple of stupid questions to ask:

Is there any danger of cband getting shutdown?
Is the picture as good as cable or DBS?
I have read about all the "pros" about cband, what are the "cons"?

thank you.

Well i feel like i want the latest technology. Flexability and capability is what i like.

I have a couple of stupid questions to ask:

Is there any danger of cband getting shutdown?
Is the picture as good as cable or DBS?
I have read about all the "pros" about cband, what are the "cons"?

thank you.

C-band will be around for a long time.....4DTV may be a different story.

The picture is MUCH better than cable or pizza, no comparison.

You're asking the wrong guy for cons. :D

C band will always be around in one form or another since your tapping into the broadcast master feeds for the industry. 4DTV still has life left. The pizza supporters want you to think otherwise and try to brainwash you with there sky is falling mentality.

Picture quality for most stuff up there is excellent. Pizza (DBS) and cable cannot compare.

Cons: You need to learn how to work on your own stuff unless you can find someone still supporting them. I do some work for a few local clients around by me that got sick of the high prices with cable and went with C band. So there are a few of us left.

I left DN years ago because of too high prices and disgust at having to pay to watch commercials.

I have gone without for a very long time. It is a pleasure not to have to pay the stupid bill.

You should tell which stations you have to have. there is a lot of free programming,

Also, Motorola isn't making a 4dtv receiver any more. The c band services are buying the receivers from consumers so they can sell their service. I would have thought by now that Motorola would have contracted the manufacturing out to Asia. I have not heard that they did that. Motorola may have lost interest in the technology. I don't think that bodes well for the future of those services.

Is there some places you guys can recommend for the following?

Programming Companies - (I have looked at skyvision and NPS & orbit communications)

Educational Sites - (besides satellite guys)
Equipment Sellers/Brands -

Or businesses to stay away from....:eek:

I am really interested in this satellite stuff. Personally, i think sat dishes look cool.;) If all goes as planned, i really dont plan on installation until spring when the weather starts to warm up. But if there are some good buys, i may purchase some things.

So, that means i have a few months to learn as much as i can. Just like tvropro said, i will have to install and maintain this stuff myself.

Thanks men.
steve

What part of KY are you in? We have some members in your state who might help. Find yourself a dish and receiver, we'll find somebody to assist. Don't buy a 4DTV unless you can verify it isn't brain-dead (watch ebay) as they have a battery in them to hold the unit-ID. Once it goes, you have a boat anchor. The good news is : the battery can be replaced before it dies and you'll be ok. These 4DTV units are 10yrs and older now so some of them are probably getting to that time.

Don't buy a 4DTV unless you can verify it isn't brain-dead (watch ebay) as they have a battery in them to hold the unit-ID. Once it goes, you have a boat anchor. The good news is : the battery can be replaced before it dies and you'll be ok. These 4DTV units are 10yrs and older now so some of them are probably getting to that time.

If you get a 922 4dtv with the Motorola logo they are newer. Mine is about 3.5 years old. I think GI sold out to Motorola in 2004 or so.

I live in central ky near lexington.

Battery dies and the receiver is no good? Thats just stupid. Why would motorola do that?

Lot of receivers have batteries. The older big-dish receivers had a descrambler module that slid into the box, it also has a battery to hold it's unit-address. (the descramblers, and 4DTV with built-in descrambler have unique addresses in order to able to get authorized for programming. Since different levels of programming were/are available to customers, they had to build them that way). They use lithium batteries that last a long time though, I have descrambler boards that were made in 1994 and before, that are still good-even though they can not be used any more since there is no longer any 'analog' subscription services available.

edit: here's a possibility if you have room for a 12' and are close to greensburg ky:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/197850-ebay-find-12ft-mesh-dish-kentucky.html

a good ball screw actuator (dish-motor) is worth the trip, and if the guy hasn't sold his 4DTV-you might get the whole system!!

Last edited:
I live in central ky near lexington.

Battery dies and the receiver is no good? Thats just stupid. Why would motorola do that?

Steve, hi fellow Kentuckian here a bit up North, welcome to the forum and to the community! I just saw someone post on the FTA section about a 12" dish that they saw on E-bay.

Greensburg KY is about 50 miles east of Bowling Green.

Edit he also selling a 4DTV receiver and the HDTV unit that goes with it! Could be your lucky day....

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)