Newcomer to FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JosephB

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Atlanta
I've been lurking here reading the DBS forums and I am about to move back home from my dorms and I'm gonna be looking to setup a FTA system. If I have everything right, I think all I need is a Ku-Band dish/lnbf, H-to-H motor, and a compatible receiver to be able to see all the Ku-Band sats with FTA stuff. If I'm wrong someone help me out. When I go to set this up, I've got a few questions though. How long can the cable be? I've got major trees around the house and will have to go a considerable distance out in front of the house to get a clear Line of Sight. If my distance is further than the recommended or max, are there amplifiers available? Also, how hard/easy is it to setup? I have setup a DBS (directv multi-sat) when our dish got knocked over. I assume the main thing to do is make sure the pole is flush/level. Also, if you guys have any suggestions on receivers, i'm all ears. I am looking for one that can move the dish for me.

Welcome to the forum JosephB Seasons Greetings : )

I like the Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra system, but any DiSEqC 1.2 receiver will work for you. I recommend the 90 cm Dish, with a Universal LNB (This is also my setup) As for the motor I still recommend the SG2100 motor for ease of use and rugged construction.
The RG6 coax cable can be up to around 100 ft. max. but many members report getting away with double that, and yes there are in-line amps available but better spending the money on the best quality RG6 Coax you can get in the first instance.
You will find the set up a little harder than your first satellite setup but on the plus side we are all here to help, best advice is to keep reading here as much as you can before your system arrives.
You are also right in your thinking about getting the pole as plumb and level as possible, it can save a lot of heartbreak further down the line, and of course with out the proper line of sight to the satellites there is not much point, you want to get as MANY "birds" as you can, the good news is with a little research and preparation most folks can handle a FTA install, we can help you all the way, Good Luck

thanks for the info. I'll probably be buying my system after the first of the year, so I'll probably have a few questions between now and then and then when I buy it you guys will be sick of me with the questions probably :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)