News from Apple this week

apple event WS response 2021.png

Apple's stock falling during the yawner show.

Ordered the iPad Mini, they gave me a decent trade in on the old one.

I'm on the yearly upgrade for the iPhone but they don't seem to have turned on that yet.

Have to look more closely at the new Apple Watch. I had planned to trade in my 6 but if the battery life isn't improved I may wait.

Doesn't Apples stock always fall after one of these?

The reason I wanted more battery on the AW, so it could use more data heart rate for workouts. Currently the optical sensor (which is very very good) reads heart rate every 3-4 seconds. Using a chest strap monitor reads every second.
Better battery would add to more accurate sleep data as well as HRV accuracy. I sleep with the Watch now but still don’t use the lame sleep app.
Better battery would have enabled watch faces with live heart rate data also.
Really disappointed but lately has been the norm with Me and Apple regarding the AW.

The iPad mini is more like the iPad Pro mini, in design and capabilities. That makes the $499 price tag (same as the iPad Air) a little more palatable, but I still think it should be more like $429 - $449.

The new iPad is tempting as I am using a Gen 6 iPad and Apple is offering $150 in trade. That seems ridiculous and would make the new one $179 + tax. I don’t know if it would fit the iPad G6 case I just bought, though.

More likely is finally trading in my 64 GB iPhone 8 for the 128 GB iPhone 13 Product Red. After three years, it’s about time as Mrs. Foxbat and my son both have FaceID while I’m still rocking TouchID. I had crossed my fingers for the iPhone 12s, but lucky 13 might be the ticket.

The iPad mini is more like the iPad Pro mini, in design and capabilities. That makes the $499 price tag (same as the iPad Air) a little more palatable, but I still think it should be more like $429 - $449.

The new iPad is tempting as I am using a Gen 6 iPad and Apple is offering $150 in trade. That seems ridiculous and would make the new one $179 + tax. I don’t know if it would fit the iPad G6 case I just bought, though.

More likely is finally trading in my 64 GB iPhone 8 for the 128 GB iPhone 13 Product Red. After three years, it’s about time as Mrs. Foxbat and my son both have FaceID while I’m still rocking TouchID. I had crossed my fingers for the iPhone 12s, but lucky 13 might be the ticket.
I really like the iPad mini with the USB-C port added. It's close enough to the regular sized screen for me to make my daily carry. With the small USB-C hubs available I can easily connect it to my office monitor & keyboard if I need to go full screen. I do wish that Mini Apple Pencil people had posted rumors of had actually appeared alongside it though.

The new iPad will likely be a Christmas gift for my wife since our daughter has mostly taken over her iPad Mini 5.

I'm on the fence about the phone upgrades myself. I'm still using the iPhone 6S Plus mainly because I hate the concept of Face ID and didn't want to give up the physical home button and that feature. They're after me at work to take a "work phone" though because of all our remote working due to COVID now. I hate the idea of carrying around two phones, so we've kind of compromised on the idea that I'll upgrade to a phone that has dual SIM capability and add my "work number" using an eSim. I wish one of the more modern models still had Touch ID..

Reactions: Foxbat
It would be nice if the TouchID button from the iPad Pro and iPad mini would be used on the FaceID iPhones.

Reactions: cpalmer2k
I did read a couple places the 13 has dual eSIMs plus the physical SIM as well. No more physical SIMs being shipped in the phones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marques spotted a limitation of the 13 Pro with the base 128 GB of memory, the Apple Pro Res is only 1080p, not 4K like the larger configurations.

I noticed the same price bump from last year, that the 13 non-Pro iPhones are $30 more expensive for the SIM-free version Versus the Carrier versions. But unlike last year, the base iPhone 12 came with only 64 GB instead of the 128 GB the Pro starts at. You could justify the $200 the Pro version cost delta when it dropped to $70 comparing the 128 GB versions of the 12 and 12 Pro. This year, I think the non-Pro version is a better value since it includes the sensor-shift cameras from the Pro and the 128 GB memory.

Normally, I would consider buying last year’s iPhone but with the 128 GB starting point for the 13, you pay the same amount for the 12 with 128 GB even though it’s $100 less than last year’s price. There’s no point.

I need to change my comments about the iPad mini. It isn’t an iPad mini version of the Pro, but the Air. I thought the current iPad Air still had a Lightning connection, but it went to USB-C.

I think Apple team may be losing sight of what people would like to have.
I agree. They have clearly run out of ideas and I suspect that it is too soon to add some of the stuff that Android has recently debuted.
There is so much Apple could be doing but they seem to be spending too much on stuff that appeals to a small segment of the population.
That didn't bother you when they chased after your heart monitoring and fall detection... Apple is just renaming things to appeal to a new demographic.

The Apple heart ECG, for sinus rhythm vs. atrial fibrillation, and pulse has appeal to all ages. The ECG is still unstable with someone that has a pacemaker, but it does work when the pacemaker isn't active.

It's been a few years since I used an Android ( Samsung and Sony ) so what is so great about the Android phone you have that iphone can't do? I'm not really a power user on the iphone but there is quite a bit of stuff that I like about the iphone / Apple infrastructure that would be lost if I went back to Android. What am I missing?

My XS Max is working fine. The ONLY feature that might tempt me would be 5G, and only that if I could really count on better coverage where we keep our RV. The office is at
3247 Vineyard Rd
Falling Waters WV 25419
Berkeley County

I don’t trust those coverage maps. Especially the one from T-Mobile. And even THAT ONE says we’d be on the very edge of 4G and 5G. We generally get texts there, and usually voice calls, but Internet is “spotty.” Network congestion. And it’s only gonna get worse, as they are building literally hundreds of new homes around there. Over a thousand, easily. Bye bye corn fields.

Sigh

Disappointed they retained the Lightning connector on the phone. Was hoping to cut down on my cable collection.
Too many people have invested waaaay too much money in Lightning accessories for their phones (especially DACs and AV adapters). This isn't as much of a problem on the iPad.

How much fun could the Apple ecosystem be without adapters???

Imagine shooting video in the new prores resolution… how long is it going to take using a lightning cable to download the video from your phone?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: KE4EST
The Apple heart ECG, for sinus rhythm vs. atrial fibrillation, and pulse has appeal to all ages.
Yet those who are critically concerned about such things are arguably a fairly small population (whether or not they should be concerned).
It's been a few years since I used an Android ( Samsung and Sony ) so what is so great about the Android phone you have that iphone can't do? I'm not really a power user on the iphone but there is quite a bit of stuff that I like about the iphone / Apple infrastructure that would be lost if I went back to Android. What am I missing?
  • Adding flash memory is a biggie (although Google's own phones and quite a few other phones don't support it).
  • Android manufacturers generally don't dump on third party repair organizations like Apple does. This is useful for those who don't want to make a substantial recurring investment in AppleCare.
  • The ability to choose your default apps for other than e-mail, web browser and more recently, music player.
  • Google Assistant .vs. Siri.
  • Android authentication options are many.
  • Android flaws and security concerns are typically reported before they are fixed rather than after they've been addressed by some future update.
  • Stylus support.
Wireless charging was addressed five years after Android announced it so that's an example of things finally coming to iOS. There are other things (i.e. split screen multitasking) that took a rather long time to come to iOS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)