NFL 2008-09 Season

Grogan was a tough cookie. He had heart and spunk. In 1976, he engineered a blowout home victory against the eventual Super Bowl champion Oakland Raiders, he helped beat the two-time defending Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers and the Steel Curtain defense at Three Rivers Stadium, and whipped Don Shula's Dolphins. . . all in consecutive weeks. He beat Miami first, then Pittsburgh at home, and then the Raiders.

As for the most overrated player in the NFL, I would have to say one of them is Reggie Bush. He may still develop into a great back (and he certainly is a good back), but he has not yet developed into the All-World player many thought he would be when left USC.

I have never lived in NE, but I've been a Patriots fan since I was a kid, and at that time Grogan was their QB. Something about that guy..... he didn't have the best stats in the world, but he threw one of the best long balls I've ever seen and he always knew when to run. He was injured often, but Joe Klecko (who Anthony Munoz said was the best DL he ever played against) once said that Grogan was the toughest QB he ever played against. He always called his own plays, and continued to do so on the sidelines late in his career when he became a backup. I've always wanted to meet him... I've got a serious man-crush on the guy. :up

Another reason I liked the Patriots was because I couldn't stand the Colts and Bert Jones. My disdain for the Colts is still there today, but more because of geographical reasons than the current rivalry.

That said, I can't stand any of the other Boston teams (and the Bengals are my #1 in the NFL). I think for a lot of years it became sympathy for the "red-headed stepchild." Of course, it's not like that now. I have to explain to people here that I've liked the Patriots for over 30 years, and I didn't just jump on the bandwagon.

I remember that quote from Klecko. Grogan had so much respect from his peers. This reminds me, the mid to late '70's (my NFL interest infancy :D) had soooo many good quarterbacks, if you compare the quantity (and quality) to today...quite frankly it's a joke. This list is off the top of head, going divsion-by-division:

Grogan, Bert Jones, Bob Griese, Joe Namath, Richard Todd, Joe Ferguson, Jim Plunkett, Terry Bradshaw, Kenny Anderson, Dan Pastorini, Brian Sipe, Dan Fouts, Kenny Stabler, Jim Zorn, Craig Morton, Roger Staubach, Joe Theismann, Billy Kilmer, Ron Jaworski, Jim Hart, Fran Tarkenton, Gary Danielson, Lynn Dickey, Archie Manning, Steve Barkowski, James Harris, Pat Haden, Steve DeBerg.

I hope I got everyone, but that's quite a list of quarterbacks who played at least a couple of years simultaneously!

BTW, the only teams from this list that aren't represented by at least one quarterback: Kansas City (I think their QB's were Livingston and Fuller?.... nothing special there), Giants (Joe Pisarcik and various others), Chicago, (with their three-headed monster......... Bob Avellini, Mike Phipps, and Vince Evans), and Tampa Bay (Steve Spurrier). That's a grand total of four teams that had QB issues. That's how good the QB's were back then. :)

I remember that quote from Klecko. Grogan had so much respect from his peers. This reminds me, the mid to late '70's (my NFL interest infancy :D) had soooo many good quarterbacks, if you compare the quantity (and quality) to today...quite frankly it's a joke. This list is off the top of head, going divsion-by-division:

Grogan, Bert Jones, Bob Griese, Joe Namath, Richard Todd, Joe Ferguson, Jim Plunkett, Terry Bradshaw, Kenny Anderson, Dan Pastorini, Brian Sipe, Dan Fouts, Kenny Stabler, Jim Zorn, Craig Morton, Roger Staubach, Joe Theismann, Billy Kilmer, Ron Jaworski, Jim Hart, Fran Tarkenton, Gary Danielson, Lynn Dickey, Archie Manning, Steve Barkowski, James Harris, Pat Haden, Steve DeBerg.

I hope I got everyone, but that's quite a list of quarterbacks who played at least a couple of years simultaneously!

BTW, the only teams from this list that aren't represented by at least one quarterback: Kansas City (I think their QB's were Livingston and Fuller?.... nothing special there), Giants (Joe Pisarcik and various others), Chicago, (with their three-headed monster......... Bob Avellini, Mike Phipps, and Vince Evans), and Tampa Bay (Steve Spurrier). That's a grand total of four teams that had QB issues. That's how good the QB's were back then. :)

Good list Bill!

Brian Sipe was the man for the Browns before there was Bernie. It was under his reign, that the Browns were coined the nickname: "The Kardiac Kids". It's unfortunate that Sipe's 1980 MVP season ended so badly. (Re: Red Right 88). :(

I remember that quote from Klecko. Grogan had so much respect from his peers. This reminds me, the mid to late '70's (my NFL interest infancy :D) had soooo many good quarterbacks, if you compare the quantity (and quality) to today...quite frankly it's a joke.

You are a year younger than I am, and I started watching at about the same time you did. Sometimes I wonder if my respect of those guys had something to do with the fact they were older than I was, or whether they were just more respectable.

You are a year younger than I am, and I started watching at about the same time you did. Sometimes I wonder if my respect of those guys had something to do with the fact they were older than I was, or whether they were just more respectable.

I think the very same thing for all sports.

For example, I've always thought the late 70's Yankees were better than the late 90's-early 2000's Yankees. Now is that reality, or is it a fantasy trumped up by some kid (me :D) who worshipped the athletes/teams of the mid-late 70's?

To me, the early to mid '90s was the golden age of quarterbacks: Aikman, Moon, Elway, Montana, Marino, Young, and Kelly. That's 7 Hall of Famers. Add Favre, who will be enshrined in Canton, and that's 8. Throw in Bledsoe (who led the league in passing yards in '94 and got the Patriots to the Super Bowl in '96), Simms, George (remember, he had a couple of stellar years in Atlanta) - and that's a pretty good group.

I know about every single QB you mentioned ther than Danielson and Harris- never heard of them.

Kansas City (I think their QB's were Livingston and Fuller?.... nothing special there)

They never did much before Marty and after Stram.

Giants (Joe Pisarcik and various others)

Ever heard of the 'Miracle of the Meadowlands?'

Chicago, (with their three-headed monster......... Bob Avellini, Mike Phipps, and Vince Evans)

No wonder Sports Illustrated once featured a cover with the late, great Walter Payton that said, "Chicago's One Man Gang."

081682_lg.jpg

BORN in Toledo....but became a coach with team once he stopped playing.

Thanks Salsa,
I did not have time to look it up ....
I thought for sure he worked with the Toledo Rockets for awhile, but maybe not.

I stand corrected, after doing some local searching, I found that like you guys said, Rob, grew up here, but did not coach here ..

Jimbo

Last edited:
To me, the early to mid '90s was the golden age of quarterbacks: Aikman, Moon, Elway, Montana, Marino, Young, and Kelly. That's 7 Hall of Famers. Add Favre, who will be enshrined in Canton, and that's 8. Throw in Bledsoe (who led the league in passing yards in '94 and got the Patriots to the Super Bowl in '96), Simms, George (remember, he had a couple of stellar years in Atlanta) - and that's a pretty good group.

I give that era you mentioned the quality nod sure, but sorry, mid-late 70's has it all over that era quantity wise.

Last edited:
How will you guys remember this year's NFL HOF inductees?

(We have a Patriots and a Redskins fan, and I'm sure there are some 49er and Bronco fans)

Indy and Washington

No One have the Hall Of Fame game on ?

Currently watching Colt Brennen and the Skins, he's looking pretty good so far, of course it's against 2nd and 3rds.
Also saw Hart in Indy's backfield, is that Mike Hart (Michigan) ? I didn't see much of him, but did see the name in the backfield.

Jimbo

No One have the Hall Of Fame game on ?

Currently watching Colt Brennen and the Skins, he's looking pretty good so far, of course it's against 2nd and 3rds.
Also saw Hart in Indy's backfield, is that Mike Hart (Michigan) ? I didn't see much of him, but did see the name in the backfield.

Saw the game. Pretty decent.

Nice pick-six late in the game.

I also found out that several other local guys played in that game as well.
From Bowling Green SU , thier former kicker and a linebacker are both playing for the Skins.... as is Fred Davis from Rogers HS here in town (also former USC T.E.) playing for the Skins as well.
And Yes that was Mike Hart from Michigan playing for Indy.

Jimbo

I watched some of it, but I just can't get interested in watching 2nd and 3rd stringers that will be bagging groceries at the supermarket at the end of training camp in 4 weeks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts